Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 437576 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #885: March 08, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
If you are in war, and forest fires start threatening your enemy, odds are you'd like the fires to spread and cripple these enemies. You would, however, not want the fires to "win" and cause undue harm to your own people, however, and will as such do your best to resist the fire at your borders without wanted it to be put out everywhere.

The Creed of the Cossacks has a very clear clause about not aiding invaders, after all. It's all so much easier if they are just displayed as a force of nature or primitive beings.

I am taking a much more ambivalent stance than ever before, though. But still keeping clear of an "all in" as Vlaanderen and Sint did.

Funny how my characters that were the most accused of daimon worship were the ones most fiercely opposed to it and wanted to see the daimons destroy stuff the least.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #886: March 08, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
Funny how my characters that were the most accused of daimon worship were the ones most fiercely opposed to it and wanted to see the daimons destroy stuff the least.

Have you read Beyond?
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #887: March 08, 2012, 06:55:28 PM »
It seems Overlord change it's tactics and will attack everyone to break our union...

...And while the invasion happens, Fwuvoghor starts it's 3º/4º rebellion of the day.

Why? Because there are only 4 nobles there...So they keep protesting against each other to ruler and starting rebellions...
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #888: March 08, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »

Funny how they're daimon-loving sociopaths. If the other realms fall, do you really think they'll leave you alone? To use your forest fire comparison, everyone needs to put down their weapons and start picking up some buckets, because no one side has enough men to quench this blaze.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Yorkie

• Peasant
  • The Force is my guide, it helps me find pizza.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889: March 08, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »
It seems Overlord change it's tactics and will attack everyone to break our union...

...And while the invasion happens, Fwuvoghor starts it's 3º/4º rebellion of the day.

Why? Because there are only 4 nobles there...So they keep protesting against each other to ruler and starting rebellions...

I have this mental image of four guys standing around a table, all holding on a crown saying "NO IT'S MINE!" "NO YOU HAD IT LAST ITS MINE!" "YOU BOTH ARE LOSERS! GIMMY!"

Is there a limit to how many rebellions they can throw?...Because I could see the peasantry becoming very annoyed and just kicking them all out and going rogue :p

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #890: March 08, 2012, 10:28:38 PM »
I think Arcachon had four within a week.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #891: March 08, 2012, 11:11:31 PM »
Have you read Beyond?

I have not. And as it doesn't appear as if it should be considered IC knowledge, I have no desire to do so at least for the rest of the invasion.

Funny how they're daimon-loving sociopaths. If the other realms fall, do you really think they'll leave you alone? To use your forest fire comparison, everyone needs to put down their weapons and start picking up some buckets, because no one side has enough men to quench this blaze.

Stalin would disagree. See: "Scorched Earth Policy"

None of my characters has ever loved the daimons. They've had a wide array of emotions towards them, but love was never one. To say as much would be equivalent to claim that Riombara loves Enweil because they both considered the greater threat was another at a certain point in time. Considering Riombara's done nothing else than harass Enweil for the last years, I think it's safe to assume that this is not the case.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:29:29 PM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #892: March 08, 2012, 11:54:58 PM »
You don't get to abandon your principles just because your enemies did and then still call yourself honorable. Cheering the daimons at this point is tantamount to planting a big sloppy kiss on their ugly mouths.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #893: March 09, 2012, 12:12:11 AM »
You don't get to abandon your principles just because your enemies did and then still call yourself honorable. Cheering the daimons at this point is tantamount to planting a big sloppy kiss on their ugly mouths.

What principles would those be?

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #894: March 09, 2012, 12:48:17 AM »
What principles would those be?

"Daimons are bad." It's telling that you even need to ask that.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #895: March 09, 2012, 01:07:48 AM »
"Daimons are bad." It's telling that you even need to ask that.

When did I ever say that was one of my principles?

I find it rather surprising that you seem to take this aggressive tone OOC. "Daimons" are a name, could have been any other. "The Light" is good, because light is always the good guys, right? Yet I've seen more blood spilled at the temples of "The Light" than at the temples of the Blood Cult and of Daimon Worship combined.

Why are the daimons so evil? Just because of their name?

Or is it because they kill people? Because, obviously, that's not what *every* realm does all the time, right?

Or because they systematically target the innocent? Because, of course, there's *no* other realm that did that, right?

The daimons are evil, sure, they've proved it. Everyone knows it. I never denied it myself either. But so what? Are you seriously going to tell me that everyone else is an angel, just because they are human?

You could try to argue they are more evil, but that's not really possible to prove. Yea, they did more stuff, but that's because they were given the opportunity to (they had the power). Are you trying to tell me that no other human realm would of done these things if they could have?

Otherwise, you could try to judge them on something else, easier to compare with others. Honor, for example. In this case, sure, the priests have used a few tricks, they lied a bit. Then again, so did most realms. Other than that, Overlord, their ruler, has been pretty straightforward and truthful all along. Which is more than can be said about a handful of other rulers.

Is it that surprising that some characters might now deem that the moral decay of humanity is so great that only a great "fire" can cleanse it now? That civilization as it exists is too corrupt to still be salvageable?

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #896: March 09, 2012, 01:20:28 AM »
Heck yes I'm cheering for the daimons.

Why do you think Cyrilos sat in Fwuvoghor hoarding gold, constantly bickered and obstructed things, and then left with so little notice?

Many characters have motives other than humanity's (or at least Beluaterra's) survival. And some of us just have characters who like to watch things burn. The smoke that rises from a burning city is incense unto the gods.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #897: March 09, 2012, 01:44:29 AM »
Heck yes I'm cheering for the daimons.

Why do you think Cyrilos sat in Fwuvoghor hoarding gold, constantly bickered and obstructed things, and then left with so little notice?

Many characters have motives other than humanity's (or at least Beluaterra's) survival. And some of us just have characters who like to watch things burn. The smoke that rises from a burning city is incense unto the gods.

Indeed, a great many things can fuel a person's desire to see others burn, from love of destruction to consuming vengeance to desires of purification.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #898: March 09, 2012, 02:09:15 AM »
When did I ever say that was one of my principles?

I find it rather surprising that you seem to take this aggressive tone OOC. "Daimons" are a name, could have been any other. "The Light" is good, because light is always the good guys, right? Yet I've seen more blood spilled at the temples of "The Light" than at the temples of the Blood Cult and of Daimon Worship combined.

Now, I understand your basic point here, that what we call things—or what they call themselves—has a strong influence on how we react to them.

But even so, do you still, even OOC, see no difference between blood sacrificed willingly for what the donors consider a worthy cause, and blood spilled in violence, by force?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #899: March 09, 2012, 02:22:40 AM »
Indeed, a great many things can fuel a person's desire to see others burn, from love of destruction to consuming vengeance to desires of purification.

Or because, if chaos doesn't happen a bit, people won't realize that they have wandered too far from the Way. We need Beluaterra to sink as an example to all of humanity what will happen if we don't return to the One True Faith.

That's the obvious interpretation. I don't see how anyone could see it differently.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner