Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 437693 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #1500: April 28, 2012, 10:29:22 AM »
Feels more like gamey tactics than anything.

What feels "gamey" about it?

Yorkie

• Peasant
  • The Force is my guide, it helps me find pizza.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501: April 28, 2012, 12:40:04 PM »
Ideally, recruits should/would be recruited from the fiefdoms themselves. With the calling of the banners, each region would be bringing forward units, they wouldn't all be syphoned through a central location like the capital unless ordered to.

Right now a majority of the capitals are either under siege or under constant attack, leading to it being nearly impossible to recruit up a unit and organize an army.

In reality, if there were any men left that hadn't been recruited previous, they'd be recruited in the countryside. [ignoring the unrealistic speed in training time and the massive amounts of dudes our little fiefdoms seem to mass produce :p]

Because of game mechanics, we really can't fight back with anywhere near the strength we could muster "normally" without sneaking in and out of the capital with units on evade and hoping that we succeed. A kind of funny tactic considering that the city we're supposed to be recruiting from is either under siege or actively being ransacked. [I have a mental image of some guy running into a burning bar and saying "Oie! You dudes! Follow me! You're now archers!" "YARRR!" "Jolly good! You in the front! You're the Captain! On to victory!"]

Hence my comment about it being like command vehicle sniping. In any RTS, its possible to win by killing off the worker units or command vehicles that bring the ability to create or maintain infastructure to bring in the combat units to instantly win the game. Its gamey and annoying but a viable tactic if you don't mind reaching outside the spectrum of realism within the game.

And yes, I realize that there's magic and the like in BM and its not considered "realistic" in any shape or form. But the terminology seemed closest to appropriate.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502: April 28, 2012, 12:51:25 PM »
At this point it just feels like we're getting command vehicle sniped.

We've won when we're fighting standing armies in the fields, but we got maneuvered to a point where we couldn't all protect our capital cities. So now each capital city is getting taken out. We were doing relatively fine until about the last week or so.

Unger survived.  Agyr will survive.  Ossmat probably could have survived, assuming OG actually listened and starting dropping their units as militia after every battle and then recruiting in a frenzy.  It takes a lot of gold and soldiers to stop the takeovers, but a successful strategy has been demonstrated (and shared).

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503: April 28, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »
Ossmat's fall was mostly my fault. By the time the militia drops got started it was too late.

:'(
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504: April 28, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »
We just need to add Enweilieos to the Survived list :)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505: April 28, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »
Ossmat's fall was mostly my fault. By the time the militia drops got started it was too late.

:'(

Heh, dunno... I only learned from you that it was possible to begin with.

And to be honest, I was quite disappointed in the forces Sint brought... You'd think that with all the time having passed since their last battle (siege of firbalt), they'd have at least 20k ready to march...

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506: April 28, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »
Heh, dunno... I only learned from you that it was possible to begin with.

And to be honest, I was quite disappointed in the forces Sint brought... You'd think that with all the time having passed since their last battle (siege of firbalt), they'd have at least 20k ready to march...

That's a hell of a lot more than I would expect them to be able to bring to the table even if they hadn't just lost a city.

Fronen is theoretically coming, but our army is pretty pathetic and has been for quite a while.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507: April 28, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
Agyr is saved.  8)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508: April 28, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »
Agyr is saved.  8)

Damn prison... Is Midnight slain?
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509: April 28, 2012, 08:29:31 PM »
Huge Battle Fought   (2 hours, 8 minutes ago)
Rumours spread and tales are sung about a huge battle in Agyr:
Melhed, Thalmarkin vs. Netherworld
Estimated strengths: 1270 men vs. 260 men
The Wolf Legion (Melhed), sponsored by Marc de Coivos, Duke of Fronepu, Marquis of Fronepu, were led into battle by Marshal Black Dragon Master.
The Legion of the Wolf (Thalmarkin), sponsored by Fingolfin Noldorin, King of Thalmarkin, were led into battle by Marshal Yusklin Melphrydd.
Pavel Jeffrey, Count of Ieara is spotted wielding the Ucdauh's Hammer of Doom.
Pavel Jeffrey, Count of Ieara is spotted reading from the Ucdauh's Compendium.
Denver Jeffrey, Count of Lloringel is spotted wielding the Strong Shield of Protection.
Denver Jeffrey, Count of Lloringel is spotted wearing the Dragon-Scale Armour of Protection.
Aurelius Madigan (Noble) is spotted reading from the White Compendium of Haste.
Eridin of Burgundy (Knight of Agyr, Melhed) was captured by Midnight of the East 's unit.
Denver Jeffrey, Count of Lloringel was captured by Midnight of the East 's unit.

Attacker Victory!

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510: April 28, 2012, 08:38:09 PM »
That's a hell of a lot more than I would expect them to be able to bring to the table even if they hadn't just lost a city.

Fronen is theoretically coming, but our army is pretty pathetic and has been for quite a while.

It's not like they put any effort into saving Firbalt... they just retreated after two battles. They should've had plenty of gold and recruits left. Probably have had overflowing RCs for the last two weeks. That's not how BT will be saved. It'll be saved by recruiting every damn man you can get your hands on and marching them out to fight the daimons. Repeat that process until your peasants reject your drafts or your pockets are empty, and then maybe we'll win.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:08:23 PM by Lorgan »

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511: April 28, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »
It's not like they put any effort into saving Firbalt... they just retreated after two battles. They should've had plenty of gold and recruits left. Probably have had overflowing RCs for the last two weeks. That's not how BT will be saved. It'll be saved by recruiting every damn man you can get your hands on and marching them out to fight the daimons. Repeat that process until your peasants reject your drafts or your pockets are empty, and then maybe we'll win.
Basicly we were swating rouge monsters and undead before orders weregiven, so were not all present in Keffa to recruit when the time came to move.
The we were badly organised. Considrable troops remained in Kell during the first battle.  Old Gregh troops also failed to move. If we had moved with everything back then, who knows, we migh have won.

If we take everything we have and just shove at the daimons aren't we leaving our rurals vounrable to monsters and undead?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512: April 28, 2012, 10:35:37 PM »
Sint has been totally, completely disorganised for weeks. There is essentially no leadership running things. Our marshal is good once the objective is set. But the higher ups aren't getting it done.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513: April 29, 2012, 01:39:15 AM »
Sint has been totally, completely disorganised for weeks. There is essentially no leadership running things. Our marshal is good once the objective is set. But the higher ups aren't getting it done.

Sounds like a totally legitimate excuse for a righteous rebellion. Also something to keep in mind: it's finals week/graduation at virtually every American university.

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514: April 29, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »
It should be pointed out hat the success in Agyr was very much possible both to General Enzo's milita dropping strategy, but lso that the nasty charging Daimons had been soften up in Vur Hagin previously. Once they were finally grinded down, the ranged Daimons didn't prove to fearsome.
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)