Poll

What do the colonies need in order to boost our enjoyment?

Lets play with rocks!  and by rocks I mean...Find out what REALLY lives near the Lendan Stones.
9 (27.3%)
The Lich King eats mud pies and smells of Elderberrys!!! (He should come out to stop us taunting in his general direction
9 (27.3%)
Huge crator...RIGHT between Lukon and Portion... Stupid barbarians...why do they have to win all the time.
3 (9.1%)
GM intervention... BT cant be the only ones to have all the fun!
5 (15.2%)
Colonies?  Isent that a type of take over?
7 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: December 30, 2011, 08:44:25 PM

Author Topic: Save the Colonies!!!  (Read 27501 times)

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Save the Colonies!!!
« Reply #45: January 15, 2012, 04:34:35 AM »
It has been a while, so I might be remembering incorrectly. Oritolon has generous tax shares for nobles that don't have an oath. When you get deported and just want to get enough gold to pay the captain for the trip back, this can be very helpful.
Shhh... Dont tell everyone  ::)

Yes, Oritolon has generous tax shares. That's how we have been attracting lot of nobles all around throughout the years. You can do it too for your realm if you want. I can't stop you from doing exact same thing my realm has been doing, can I?  :P
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Pirates

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: January 19, 2012, 03:45:25 AM »
Save the Colonies?  Well, I guess you took matters into your own hands and sorted that one out on your own, eh Val?
'Cuz I gotta feeling things are gonna perk up around there shortly.  In eight years, not one team landed one troop
on a single Lukonian wall. But I'm pretty certain if they had a pirate or two with them, all that would change overnight. har

I love the idea of magic. How funny would it be if 500 incoming barbarians were suddenly in their underwear?
"There is an odd flash of green light. Your weapons and armor turn to dust. Your troops, not being idiots, turn tail and run away." har

More battles, less results.  Troops should be cheap and plentiful, but it should take scads to even dent a fortress.
City sieges should last for weeks. There should be supply caravans bringing in food and gold. The defenders should
get free troops during sieges. No replacement cost. No solider is going to say, "Well, if you can't pay me, I would rather
the guys that are going to kill us all, kill us all." When the enemy is at the gate, you fight to stay alive, not to make a buck.
Then there could be real battles. The defenders could defend aggressively. Even drive their way through the lines and
march off the counter attack the attacker's city. It should be freaking damn near impossible to take out a fortress five.

We need scope, scale, flexibility, uncertainty, fickle fate. Cut and dried is boring and how the game died.

Rogue regions should heal quickly and return to the nearest fold. No way they would prefer to slip back into subsistence
existence after they had enjoyed the markets, goods and services and culture of their urban neighbors. It is just dumb
that we can kill powerful kingdoms by driving a few regions rogue. Either maintain significant military forces there, or they
pretty much immediately repair their roads and reestablish their trade routes back to their nearest markets. The attackers
made a bit of loot, but the actual damage done is not great or long lasting. If anything, it should cement their good will
towards their local Lords, who do not pillage them and burn their crops. This idiocy of needing to spend weeks to get them
back up and running, when it took a hot three or four days to drive it rogue, is well, it's retarded.  It models nothing and
effs up game play massively. Hard for me not to come right out and call Tom stupid here. Oops.

"You did not answer the verification questions correctly. "
But obviously, I AM a spambot. har
Geez, like a spam bot is going to answer at all. I can't believe there is a right or wrong to that.
Or is the presumption that a spambot smart enough to know it needed to say something there, would
also programmed ethically to provide the correct answer? "Aw, ya caught me, I am a spambot, darn it."

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: January 19, 2012, 03:49:43 AM »
Save the Colonies?  Well, I guess you took matters into your own hands and sorted that one out on your own, eh Val?
'Cuz I gotta feeling things are gonna perk up around there shortly.  In eight years, not one team landed one troop
on a single Lukonian wall. But I'm pretty certain if they had a pirate or two with them, all that would change overnight. har

I love the idea of magic. How funny would it be if 500 incoming barbarians were suddenly in their underwear?
"There is an odd flash of green light. Your weapons and armor turn to dust. Your troops, not being idiots, turn tail and run away." har

More battles, less results.  Troops should be cheap and plentiful, but it should take scads to even dent a fortress.
City sieges should last for weeks. There should be supply caravans bringing in food and gold. The defenders should
get free troops during sieges. No replacement cost. No solider is going to say, "Well, if you can't pay me, I would rather
the guys that are going to kill us all, kill us all." When the enemy is at the gate, you fight to stay alive, not to make a buck.
Then there could be real battles. The defenders could defend aggressively. Even drive their way through the lines and
march off the counter attack the attacker's city. It should be freaking damn near impossible to take out a fortress five.

We need scope, scale, flexibility, uncertainty, fickle fate. Cut and dried is boring and how the game died.

Rogue regions should heal quickly and return to the nearest fold. No way they would prefer to slip back into subsistence
existence after they had enjoyed the markets, goods and services and culture of their urban neighbors. It is just dumb
that we can kill powerful kingdoms by driving a few regions rogue. Either maintain significant military forces there, or they
pretty much immediately repair their roads and reestablish their trade routes back to their nearest markets. The attackers
made a bit of loot, but the actual damage done is not great or long lasting. If anything, it should cement their good will
towards their local Lords, who do not pillage them and burn their crops. This idiocy of needing to spend weeks to get them
back up and running, when it took a hot three or four days to drive it rogue, is well, it's retarded.  It models nothing and
effs up game play massively. Hard for me not to come right out and call Tom stupid here. Oops.

"You did not answer the verification questions correctly. "
But obviously, I AM a spambot. har
Geez, like a spam bot is going to answer at all. I can't believe there is a right or wrong to that.
Or is the presumption that a spambot smart enough to know it needed to say something there, would
also programmed ethically to provide the correct answer? "Aw, ya caught me, I am a spambot, darn it."

Sophisticated spam bots are able to answer all sorts of verification questions, including some of those annoying mangled word images.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Will Bell

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: January 24, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »
As the Current Ruler of Giblot, (who finally made it to the forums), I'd say faster travel times are good.  Sure it makes Giblot easier to attack, and thus easier to defeat.  But it makes the game more fun and the loss of one realm doesn't mean the end of the world, well unless your one of the poor souls manning the walls of said realm.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: January 31, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
Hmm, it is time to save Colonies eh? Let see what we can do but haven't do :P

Yeah, what Pirates suggests is quite good. We should Implement those Magic Scrolls and Unique Items having bigger better effects during battle or after battle or before battle. As far as I recall from my last Adventurer 2 years ago, Magic Scrolls is pretty useless. I highly doubt the Magic Scroll changed on Colonies island since then.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: January 31, 2012, 11:10:35 PM »
Hmm, it is time to save Colonies eh? Let see what we can do but haven't do :P

Yeah, what Pirates suggests is quite good. We should Implement those Magic Scrolls and Unique Items having bigger better effects during battle or after battle or before battle. As far as I recall from my last Adventurer 2 years ago, Magic Scrolls is pretty useless. I highly doubt the Magic Scroll changed on Colonies island since then.

Some scrolls have been implemented in those two years. There were announcements about it.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: February 01, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
Some scrolls have been implemented in those two years. There were announcements about it.
More magic scrolls with wide area effect rather than only the region where battle took place?

Just start my new adventurer, with the new character slot given to my character family  :P

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: February 01, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »
More magic scrolls with wide area effect rather than only the region where battle took place?

Just start my new adventurer, with the new character slot given to my character family  :P

What sort of effect are you looking for? But no not so far as I know. BM is a LOW MAGIC world after all.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: February 01, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »
...and the suggestion is that Colonies becomes a bit higher in magic...
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: February 03, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »
...and the suggestion is that Colonies becomes a bit higher in magic...
Exacto!  ;D

Or perhaps the rumored threatening Tom lightning bolt on all Rulers in East Island, might work here in Colonies if no Duke of cities willing to secede?  :P We have too dominating realms, controlling 2-3 cities at the moment......

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: February 03, 2012, 11:45:47 AM »
Exacto!  ;D

Or perhaps the rumored threatening Tom lightning bolt on all Rulers in East Island, might work here in Colonies if no Duke of cities willing to secede?  :P We have too dominating realms, controlling 2-3 cities at the moment......

Are there wars? Cause so long as battles are being fought why would Tom threaten lightening bolts?

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: February 03, 2012, 11:52:24 AM »
There are wars, if counting all these realms.

Outer Tilog/Lukon versus Giblot

Oritolon versus Minas Thalion

On one hand, we have Lukon having 2-3 cities(Lukon city, Portion city and Wetham city).
On one hand, we have Oritolon having 2 cities(Oritolon city, Alowca city).

The rest of the realm made do with 1 city each. You know, it is kinda boring if we keep at status quo. Gotta make the island interesting~~

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: February 03, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »
There are wars, if counting all these realms.

Outer Tilog/Lukon versus Giblot

Oritolon versus Minas Thalion

On one hand, we have Lukon having 2-3 cities(Lukon city, Portion city and Wetham city).
On one hand, we have Oritolon having 2 cities(Oritolon city, Alowca city).

The rest of the realm made do with 1 city each. You know, it is kinda boring if we keep at status quo. Gotta make the island interesting~~

Don't believe Tom has ever threaten lightening bolts just because a realm is successful enough to hold more land then others on the island. The EC thing was because there were no wars if I remember correctly.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: February 03, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »
EC was indeed locked in peace for very long, I believe. There even was a big drought at first, but that failed to shake things up.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: February 07, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
Exacto!  ;D

Whoa whoa whoa... Don't go pinning this all on me or my ability to keep cities.

I don't see a reason to punish people for being successful.  Look at the history and you see a realm going from near destruction to the Lukon of today...and if you look at the military might, realm income, and player count you should be able to see that Lukon has had the ability to do very terrible and destructive things that would have ruined the fun for most everyone.

Instead we have guided Lukon down a path that has allowed many many chances at plots and wars against us.  But you cant blame Lukon (or me) for them not working out well for the plotters.

The mentality of "make changes and lightning bolts to make things more fun" is a flawed concept.  We have not tried to win the game... but we have been very successful at  controlling situations through military, diplomatic, fear and IC friendships.

Through all of this...through all the years playing there...the only thing changed was the idea that Lukon must destroy all enemies.  Instead, if you have not noticed, Giblot is still alive... Assassins are still alive... OT is still alive...  All of which have had wars with Lukon.  Lukon even helped to rebuild OT.

The truth is... Oritolon is not strong like it used to be.  It is a political bee hive... sweet honey and terrible stings... but still just a bee that MT has proven they can swat.

Look, at the end of the day I am not going to change the way my characters act.  They are who they are by design.  One tries to destroy Lukon... one tries to guide a terrible hoard of very questionable nobles.

Lukon will always be a bully...  You want to stop them then go for it... but your not the first to try and I certainly cant just let ooc concerns change the character of my characters...lightning bolts or not.

Lukon does believe in a sort of manifest destiny... That the island will one day belong to three realms who will war and struggle like nothing any have seen before.  Those realms are yet to be known... but many believe one will be ruled by the Lich King himself.

Now... if you want to change the world... go out and find those who want to see it changed... gang up on us, and whoop our hind end.  But lets not fight in the rain...no one wants lightning bolts