Author Topic: Reason for War Declaration field  (Read 3301 times)

Chaotrance13

Reason for War Declaration field
« Topic Start: December 03, 2011, 02:02:26 PM »
So, looking at the recent Zuma declarations on Dwilight, they gave no immediate reason for why they were doing it (then again, they're the Zuma, they probably don't need to). But a letter was circulated explaining from Terran's leadership as to what was going on - namely, this was a set-up.

From experience, reasons for war declarations are generally shared on the Rulers channel, and passed down to the nobility if appropriate. But I wonder whether adding some kind of field to the option to declare war would generate some political intrigue as well. Take the above situation - if the Zuma added the reason of "Terran (for example) plans to expand into our lands", then it could motivate players, or even realms, to mobilise. Or it may demotivate them to stay the hell away and let people fight. Then pick off the victor. As it would be transmitted with the declaration, the entire continent would see it.

There would need to be certain caveats to make it work. For a start, it would need to be short and sweet. Let rulers still send letters about the issue, pass them down if needs be. That way there are opportunities still for propaganda and spin. The next one would be whether the field would be mandatory or optional - something I'm not sure of. On the one hand, I don't believe any sane ruler would just put gobbledegook in the field, they'd put something meaningful. On the other hand, sometimes the reason may want to be kept quiet, or secret.

I do see one problem with such an addition though, and it's linked to IC immersion in a way. How would players, ICly, find out about the reason? Would it be rumours? Some kind of open declaration by the realm initiating hostilities? That's something that might need consideration as well as any other factors people bring up.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Reason for War Declaration field
« Reply #1: December 03, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »
So, looking at the recent Zuma declarations on Dwilight, they gave no immediate reason for why they were doing it (then again, they're the Zuma, they probably don't need to). But a letter was circulated explaining from Terran's leadership as to what was going on - namely, this was a set-up.

From experience, reasons for war declarations are generally shared on the Rulers channel, and passed down to the nobility if appropriate. But I wonder whether adding some kind of field to the option to declare war would generate some political intrigue as well. Take the above situation - if the Zuma added the reason of "Terran (for example) plans to expand into our lands", then it could motivate players, or even realms, to mobilise. Or it may demotivate them to stay the hell away and let people fight. Then pick off the victor. As it would be transmitted with the declaration, the entire continent would see it.

There would need to be certain caveats to make it work. For a start, it would need to be short and sweet. Let rulers still send letters about the issue, pass them down if needs be. That way there are opportunities still for propaganda and spin. The next one would be whether the field would be mandatory or optional - something I'm not sure of. On the one hand, I don't believe any sane ruler would just put gobbledegook in the field, they'd put something meaningful. On the other hand, sometimes the reason may want to be kept quiet, or secret.

I do see one problem with such an addition though, and it's linked to IC immersion in a way. How would players, ICly, find out about the reason? Would it be rumours? Some kind of open declaration by the realm initiating hostilities? That's something that might need consideration as well as any other factors people bring up.

Since war declarations will be part of the new diplomacy system, won't this already be covered? I am assuming someone will have to write up a war declaration and set the engagement parameters and someone else will have to ratify it, just like any other treaty. I guess the main thing is the rest of the continent won't see it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 03, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »
Since war declarations will be part of the new diplomacy system, won't this already be covered? I am assuming someone will have to write up a war declaration and set the engagement parameters and someone else will have to ratify it, just like any other treaty. I guess the main thing is the rest of the continent won't see it.

Only a select few can actually read the treaties, it would seem, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chaotrance13

« Reply #3: December 03, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »
Only a select few can actually read the treaties, it would seem, though.

So this may be somewhat relevant, then. Give a short reason for the declaration shown to the "normal" nobility, and the longer wording of the treaty can be viewed by those with the ability to do so.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 03, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »
So this may be somewhat relevant, then. Give a short reason for the declaration shown to the "normal" nobility, and the longer wording of the treaty can be viewed by those with the ability to do so.

I might be getting confused with unsigned treaties, however. I don't have a non-ambassador to check right now, and it might have been an oversight back then too.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #5: December 03, 2011, 09:53:17 PM »
I don't know if "war treaties" would be here, but http://battlemaster.org/stable/viewtreaties.php is viewable by everyone.  It's in the Information tab.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 03, 2011, 10:02:45 PM »
I don't know if "war treaties" would be here, but http://battlemaster.org/stable/viewtreaties.php is viewable by everyone.  It's in the Information tab.

direct url works, but I don't see that on my info tab.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #7: December 03, 2011, 10:42:51 PM »
Local Information
* Realm and Regions
* Diplomatic Treaties
* Realm Hierarchy

It's there for my now non-lord Priest in Westmoor on EC. 

For my General and non-Lord on BT.

And it's there for my normal soldier, also on BT.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 03, 2011, 11:07:44 PM »
Local Information
* Realm and Regions
* Diplomatic Treaties
* Realm Hierarchy

It's there for my now non-lord Priest in Westmoor on EC. 

For my General and non-Lord on BT.

And it's there for my normal soldier, also on BT.

Doh, I was searching for "treaty", which game me just 1 result.