Author Topic: BM culture  (Read 45539 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: BM culture
« Reply #75: December 06, 2011, 09:32:57 PM »
I think we rather need different kind of islands to offer diversity, rather then having the same kind of. BT has an unique setting which attracts people, dwi is unique, the rest is all rather the same.  Rather merge EC/AT then close BT.

Another vote for a differentiation in continent offerings (or gimmick continents, as I call them).  How about lifting the character limit on one of the continents?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #76: December 06, 2011, 09:35:08 PM »
I'm not going to sink 10 years of history. Absolutely not.

But we need to fight this trend. I still hope we can double the amount of players in the game, and I think opening Dwilight was a mistake, but closing it down now would be trying to fix a mistake with an even bigger one.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: December 06, 2011, 09:37:14 PM »
I don't see anything particularly unique about FEI. Nothing that would differentiate it from AT/EC, that is. There are no specific game mechanics or major play style differences. You can argue all you want about culture/RP, but there's probably just as many people that could argue against any particular island as for it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #78: December 06, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
Another vote for a differentiation in continent offerings (or gimmick continents, as I call them).  How about lifting the character limit on one of the continents?

I'm actually thinking of going one step further. We are all complaining about OOC groups and clans, but what if we embraced them? Take a continent large enough, like Dwilight, or Atamara (but not Colonies, or EC) and invited them to set up their own realm. Let them show us that they're the man, prove it! I claim that a random group of BM players who have grasped the game will be more than a match for any clan, no matter how perfect their OOC organisation.

And it would be an interesting challenge for tons of clans out there.

The first step might be to differentiate one game world by essentially declaring it a free-for-all, making it clear that on this continent, which is a bad and evil place, every judge injustice, ruler favoritism, etc. is just part of the game, be it for IC or OOC reasons.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: December 06, 2011, 09:40:57 PM »
I'm not going to sink 10 years of history. Absolutely not.

But we need to fight this trend. I still hope we can double the amount of players in the game, and I think opening Dwilight was a mistake, but closing it down now would be trying to fix a mistake with an even bigger one.

I also think dwilight is the reason a decent amount of people still play this game, who would have left otherwise. But I'm biased as I only play on BT and dwi...

Anyway, keeping history just for the sake of keeping history is not related to what should be good for the future. Would it be possible to do a BM wide survey which players can fill in when the log into the game to find out what aspects they like about BM, the continents, etc? So we can have a better view of how the playerbase thinks about the subject rather then going on the opinion of the few who use the forum?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:54:15 PM by D`Este »

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: December 06, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
I'm actually thinking of going one step further. We are all complaining about OOC groups and clans, but what if we embraced them? Take a continent large enough, like Dwilight, or Atamara (but not Colonies, or EC) and invited them to set up their own realm. Let them show us that they're the man, prove it! I claim that a random group of BM players who have grasped the game will be more than a match for any clan, no matter how perfect their OOC organisation.

And it would be an interesting challenge for tons of clans out there.

The first step might be to differentiate one game world by essentially declaring it a free-for-all, making it clear that on this continent, which is a bad and evil place, every judge injustice, ruler favoritism, etc. is just part of the game, be it for IC or OOC reasons.

The risk is that while it starts on one island it will spread to others..

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: December 06, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
The risk is that while it starts on one island it will spread to others..

It's possible, but I think the opposite is more likely.  Either a lot of people will flock to that island for the freedom it allows, or nobody will because they're afraid of the stigma that might be attached to it.  Either way, it seems like a fine experiment.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: December 06, 2011, 09:54:36 PM »
It is an intriguing idea. A no-holds-barred island, with no IRs, and only the Social Contract about cheating/abuse of the game/multi-accounting to conform to.

I wouldn't use an existing island, though. I'd rather see something new, and varied, and set up with a more realistic layout and sensible design. Dwilight is fun, but I think there were some significant errors on how it was laid out. Not to mention the names...

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: December 06, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »
It's possible, but I think the opposite is more likely.  Either a lot of people will flock to that island for the freedom it allows, or nobody will because they're afraid of the stigma that might be attached to it.  Either way, it seems like a fine experiment.

"I'm sorry to inform you, but you can't become lord in this realm because our incompetent and lazy OOC friend will get it"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: December 06, 2011, 10:03:29 PM »
"I'm sorry to inform you, but you can't become lord in this realm because our incompetent and lazy OOC friend will get it"

Yep. I can't wait to see realms run by people who give positions based on merit beating realms run by people who give positions purely based on "he's my OOC friend" openly ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: December 06, 2011, 10:07:45 PM »
Anyway, lets first find out what the player base thinks before making changes?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: December 06, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »
I fear that you'd end up with a military powerhouse the likes of Averoth, except with a big enough realm and gold to make it really work. I shudder to think what they could have done if they had a realm that legitimately earned more than 200 gold a week. 40+ characters with 100% guaranteed late-turn (i.e. within 1.5 hours of the turn change) movement. Ouch... Who cares how well you manage your rural region's 175 gold tax income and 200 bushels of food, when the enemy commands ultra-reliable 40K CS clone armies?

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: December 06, 2011, 10:10:46 PM »

"It's a Trap!"

Or at least, that's one knee-jerk reaction any of those groups might have. Round 'em up in one place and then lock 'em all out.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: December 06, 2011, 10:38:11 PM »
I fear that you'd end up with a military powerhouse the likes of Averoth, except with a big enough realm and gold to make it really work. I shudder to think what they could have done if they had a realm that legitimately earned more than 200 gold a week. 40+ characters with 100% guaranteed late-turn (i.e. within 1.5 hours of the turn change) movement. Ouch... Who cares how well you manage your rural region's 175 gold tax income and 200 bushels of food, when the enemy commands ultra-reliable 40K CS clone armies?

They would kill each other.

But... HUGE issue:

That island would need to have:
1. Family gold contributions disabled
2. Fame points disabled

Or else there could be big issues.

Basically, it would be a continent purely for min-maxing BM with OOC clans.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #89: December 06, 2011, 10:58:40 PM »
You're all arguing as if there were no game-mechanics to stop abuses.

No, I absolutely wouldn't isolate that island. And like Tim I am pretty sure that while the bad would find their place, the good would prevail.

I learnt something very interesting during the beta of Mortal Online - the red towns, where you could rob, kill and steal at will, with not automatic NPC guards coming for you, but of course your victim could also retaliate in kind - were a lot safer and better places to be than the blue towns. Because griefers exploit the system. !@#$%^&s try to stay on this side of the fence while maximizing the piss-you-off-factor.

And it would absolutely have to be an existing island. We don't have the players to start a new one.