Author Topic: BM culture  (Read 45121 times)

Zakilevo

Re: BM culture
« Reply #90: December 06, 2011, 11:11:40 PM »
FEI it is it seems or BT hehehehe

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #91: December 06, 2011, 11:49:36 PM »
Might be a interesting way to shake up an any Islands that are settling into defined power blocs already.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92: December 06, 2011, 11:50:28 PM »
Might be a interesting way to shake up an any Islands that are settling into defined power blocs already.

Are there any islands of which that is not (to greater or lesser extent) true?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #93: December 07, 2011, 12:07:57 AM »
Are there any islands of which that is not (to greater or lesser extent) true?

There are islands were the power bloc have less aggregate power, and thus can more easily be upset, but no I can't think of an Island that doesn't have some form of power bloc already established

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #94: December 07, 2011, 12:28:39 AM »
Challenging clans is to challenge multiers.

I'm not saying that all people in clans cheat, but if their first interest in the game is to prove something, then the temptation to do so is quite stronger. And since they are new, they don't have anything to lose by cheating.

I'm concerned of the impacts such a policy might have...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #95: December 07, 2011, 12:31:51 AM »
I don't see anything particularly unique about FEI. Nothing that would differentiate it from AT/EC, that is. There are no specific game mechanics or major play style differences. You can argue all you want about culture/RP, but there's probably just as many people that could argue against any particular island as for it.

I haven't updated the "retention revisited" numbers recently but, at least during the summer, FEI had good retention pattersn, like Dwilight and Beluaterra, while Atamara and East Island had steep, persistent declines. It might not seem different, but, at least in the summer, the playing experience was apparently different enough to result in hugely divergent results.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #96: December 07, 2011, 12:38:30 AM »
I haven't updated the "retention revisited" numbers recently but, at least during the summer, FEI had good retention pattersn, like Dwilight and Beluaterra, while Atamara and East Island had steep, persistent declines. It might not seem different, but, at least in the summer, the playing experience was apparently different enough to result in hugely divergent results.

It is Jenred's Charisma and Sexiness.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #97: December 07, 2011, 01:21:04 AM »
So basically, we do need to close down one or two game worlds, because we simply don't have the player density required?

Well, it's maybe not the whole problem. In Carelia there have been 60-70 nobles around at a time all year and more often than not I've found it quieter than realms with fewer players. Even though there has been this big war going on. Granted, big realms are the exception rather than the norm these days but I suppose we should be careful of making things out wrong. Even when we had oodles of players, back in the old days there were still lots and lots of players who didn't say a word no matter what and still realms where interaction barely featured. I mean, I don't recall Carelia being a wellspring of fervent activity even back in 2005 when I was kicking around there a while.

I say just roll out that new estate system and see how things go. And maybe this little discussion can serve as good wake-up call to those of us who rest on their laurels. When I was making a real effort to get involved again earlier this year, it had a lot to do with realising I'd reached this point where I could moan a lot in the forums about other people not making an effort and all these problems I saw whilst other people were saying 'Yeah, I see that. But I'm doing this, this and this to keep things fresh for everyone. What are you doing about it?' It was something that Chenier said that snapped me out of it I think.

When I unpause again I hope to get back to making an effort. But right now I suppose I'm finally feeling BattleMaster fatigued after all these years? Need a little break to recharge. Forum chatter is about all I'm good for right now! >.<

I also think dwilight is the reason a decent amount of people still play this game, who would have left otherwise.

That's an oft-mentioned claim, along with the stats that Dwilight is stickier than other continents. Never understood it myself. When Dwilight finally happened it felt like all the most ambitious players of BattleMaster got together and started measuring dick's against one another. Too much testosterone flying around for what was really a massive gold rush. I suppose I got the chance to do some cool things, but it turned me off pretty quickly. I don't know, everyone always rages about the well-defined power blocs, the history of EC/AT but Dwilight will head the same way sooner or later.

Zakilevo

« Reply #98: December 07, 2011, 01:25:23 AM »
It is almost there.

SA bloc, southeast bloc and southwest bloc. Just three southern realms which have not joined any blocs yet.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #99: December 07, 2011, 01:31:35 AM »
I don't know, everyone always rages about the well-defined power blocs, the history of EC/AT but Dwilight will head the same way sooner or later.
I personally like the current direction Dwilight is taking. Sure, there are power blocs, but it seems to me that there is a lot of internal discord (at least in the bloc I'm a part of) to prevent anything too hegemonic. Anyways, the power blocs are actually different in culture, whereas in EC/AT it seems like they're just power blocs for the sake of it.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #100: December 07, 2011, 02:51:04 AM »
I say just roll out that new estate system and see how things go.

Let us finish it first! ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101: December 07, 2011, 03:06:18 AM »
I'd say propose a list of possible changes (invasion island, clan island, sinking island, etc.), then place a poll for players of each continent to vote. There you'd see which continents would better receive being the next invasion island, or any other idea. You might get interesting results.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102: December 07, 2011, 03:10:34 AM »
I'd say propose a list of possible changes (invasion island, clan island, sinking island, etc.), then place a poll for players of each continent to vote. There you'd see which continents would better receive being the next invasion island, or any other idea. You might get interesting results.

Now that I think about it, one way to easily liven up and shake things up on Atamara would be if Beluaterra were to lose the next invasion and have to flee, then have them flee to Atamara and the invaders follow them onto Atamara.

I mean, being on CE's side of things (Coria) I think this current war is rather interesting and all, but frankly CE is going to win unless we just make a massive military strategy error which I don't see happening as long as Enri is still general of CE, so although it'll maybe take another 6-12 months, CE will win the war and the continent will be back in a hegemony type situation. But, if the island were to be invaded by non-humans, it could be very interesting to see what would happen, especially if they initially started with a heavy target on the strongest realms such that they would have to defend themselves. This could allow those other realms to either help or stop the invaders with the respective consequences.

"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103: December 07, 2011, 03:17:25 AM »
But, if the island were to be invaded by non-humans, it could be very interesting to see what would happen, especially if they initially started with a heavy target on the strongest realms such that they would have to defend themselves. This could allow those other realms to either help or stop the invaders with the respective consequences.
No, that would be boring. Too much temptation for people with grudges to time their entry into the war until the CE/Tara block was too crippled to recover, but not too long to put a stop to it before all is lost.

What would be *interesting* is if the invaders started picking off the small guys individually. Then you'd really see some scrambling. Would the northern realms pull it together fast enough, and drop their internal conflict in time to stop it? Would the CE/Tara block abandon their grudges and save them, or let them die and count on their power/unity to defeat the invaders on their own?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104: December 07, 2011, 03:28:58 AM »
Either way, a shake up on Atamara due to an invasion of non-humans could be quite interesting. I cannot comment on the other continents current state of affairs (except Dwilight which I would say would not be fitting) so it sounds like an interesting proposal.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."