Author Topic: What you really wanted to do in BM but never did  (Read 33826 times)

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I would like to form a religion based on the worship of my family.

Woelfen

• Knight
  • Falling awake
    • View Profile
~Take my guild and create a watchdog society on the EC.
~Become a Duke
~Sponsor an army
~Become a Ruler
~Get the Mentor Fame point
~eventually work on an Advy to go super pro infiltrator

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
~Take my guild and create a watchdog society on the EC.

Watchdog as in... make sure they don't dump too much slag from the smithies in local streams? Prevent price-gouging for peasants? What kind of watchdog?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Woelfen

• Knight
  • Falling awake
    • View Profile
Basically I'd like to take it the same route as the C.I.A. in the U.S., only without the bad decisions being made that get us into trouble. More or less, the main goal of my guild is to assist with the spread of Sovereignty on all levels (except those silly advies! although they are in the guild as well for information gathering and other purposes)

At this point it is used as an information and report sharing network between member nations.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
Basically I'd like to take it the same route as the C.I.A. in the U.S., only without the bad decisions being made that get us into trouble. More or less, the main goal of my guild is to assist with the spread of Sovereignty on all levels (except those silly advies! although they are in the guild as well for information gathering and other purposes)

At this point it is used as an information and report sharing network between member nations.

Sounds like Argus and the Ceeded Intelligence Agency on Beluaterra, before they both collapsed. And before that, Oligarch's Worst Case Council on Atamara.

Good times, those. I wish you luck.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Did Argus ever get off the ground? I was never much involved in it.

CCA had a nice intelligence/insurgency ring... but nothing comes close to the WCC. I had so much energy back then... so much free time...
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

CCA had a nice intelligence/insurgency ring... but nothing comes close to the WCC. I had so much energy back then... so much free time...

I am still amazed when people mention Argus.  It was successful in outing a rebllion in Riombara, and then I had to leave the game due to time demands.  I turned it over to someone else, and by all accounts they screwed it up.  If people are still interested in this kind of stuff, I have been working on something much more insidious and I think I have the kinks worked out of the system.  It's certainly been far more effective than Argus ever was, or could have been.  I'm always looking for players to work with.  Shoot me a PM.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Shoot me a PM.

Don't you mean "Have your character find mine in-game?"
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

I should think not, as it was largely targeted against Hireshmont...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Don't you mean "Have your character find mine in-game?"

No, because I enjoy talking shop just as much as you.  If I wanted to play with someone, then I would tell them to find me in-game.

What I really want to do in BM but haven't (yet): operate a functional continental "bank".  I think it can be done.  It would just require a lot of capital, and you'd definitely have to be selling something to attract the kind of demand required to sustain it. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:22:11 PM by Solari »

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I should think not, as it was largely targeted against Hireshmont...

Really? Wow. That's funny. But admirable: counter-intel is tough work. Much, much harder than simple espionage. Though, and maybe this was part of it, but somebody in Argus contacted me about joining. I seem to remember thinking it was a little bit too hocus-pocus-y for my tastes. I don't like flair.

I prefer simpler things, like what we did to Rio when Anselm re-opened the war. Turning a council member and a region lord after buying a region and TOing another ain't half bad. If it hadn't been for the multi-swarm that voted against peace, we could have made peace, and Iro might still be alive. Meh. I hate multis.

What I really want to do in BM but haven't (yet): operate a functional continental "bank".  I think it can be done.  It would just require a lot of capital, and you'd definitely have to be selling something to attract the kind of demand required to sustain it. 

This. This is what I want to do. I think there is insufficient demand, however.

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

"bank" is a bit ambiguous, so I don't know exactly what you mean by this. I have talked about starting a bank which would be able to issue loans and work as a swiss bank for those tax heavy realms. If worked right I think it would be possible to have a cross continental bank that would allow individuals to transfer wealth from one Island to another, but I don't think tom would like that. If you want to discuss it further I would love to work with both of you on it.
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Indeed, the bank would need to be situated in a secure region, unlikely to be assaulted, where the region lord is willing to run a super-low tax rate.

You'd need several such locations, of course. Maybe, fora continent the size of Atamara, 2-3 "vaults," and then numerous "branches" where deposits/loans could be made, but large sums are not stored.

I think the Dwilight Trade Company on Dwilight could be a guild that could evolve into something like this, if it grows some more.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
This is partly what I wanted to do with this:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Hansa

I gave up, partly because the character had too much else going on to really push it, and partly for RL lack of time to start new storylines above the ones that started themselves, but I'd like to get back to it at some point. Tell me what you think.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Become duke of a key stronghold with level 10 walls, 10k of the best militia, and 2k stored food. 8)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.