Author Topic: Family Heirlooms  (Read 8148 times)

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
Re: Family Heirlooms
« Reply #15: December 16, 2011, 01:46:58 AM »
How do you designate the chief of your family?

I oppose this, after some thought. We should encourage players to do other things with their wealth, like creating guilds, religions, personal armies, giving away gold to poor knights, placing large bounties on people who cross them, performing family investments daily, building recruiting centers and warehouses and banner-makers.

The character should choosed by the player, and can only be switched if that one dies.

Creating guilds or religions, personal armies, all of this aren't encoraged by the players themselves.  Of course that, if you are a Duke, or a Lord of a land on the main route of the realm, you can suppose that some nobles will want to be part of your guild, but if you are the lord of the land on the extreme northen border of the continent, visited by other nobles only to clean up rogue, will be a failed investiment. Plus,  the memory that to found a new religion is a sure path to stepdown serves to stop the desire of the majority of players. And, to end, the founding of personal armies without permition is something that should be not encouraged, of course, if you don't want a realm with 15 armies of tow-three nobles, and fines on the founders.

The bounties, to me, is something, at last, worthless, only because the character will not die - will be away from the game for a few days, only. This means not so much, as if he is youg, will receive full hours after the turning, and, if he is old, will receive the minimum.

Family investiments, also, is something that depends of luck: sometimes, you'll receive less than the money spent, and creating things depends of your region.

All of this low the desire to spend the money.

Items can still be dropped in battle. Add in a random chance of 0% items being accidentally discarded by your servants if needed. That way, you have an incentive not to let it drop to 0%, but 0% items aren't forever lost and you can ask advies to find it back for you if you messed up and really want it back.

Indeed. I must say, I liked the idea of using the family gold in something more than investiments. I don't remember nothing that uses the family wealth than this, move your family home or visit your aunt without money, or ask for some support. You can ask why, I'll say that because you can do this based only in some type of characters (new ones and heroes), and, sometimes, your investiments do not worth the price, in gold or honour.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: December 16, 2011, 05:20:02 AM »
Investments usually generate less gold than they cost. If you don't try to compensate with hiked food production (if your region's initial production was subpar), the the only logic to make it worthwhile is that you are paying 10 gold (usually stated as how much less the investment will yield) in order to draw the money to your realm without having to pay a honor cost. It's the fee for international funding, if you will, though obviously it then all gets shared.

Moving your family home to an enemy region will allow you to finance rebels. Mind you, I'm not sure if you actually get the option if in an enemy region, it might only be possible to have it end up in an enemy realm if they later TO it. It's a hell of a price to pay, though.

Family wealth also allows you to buy foreign regions. If I didn't have so many duke and lord chars, I'd have used that option a few times already. A pity the option usually comes when it would no longer make any sense to use it (being wealthy usually implies having a city, and why would you want to trade your city off?).

It also allows you to forge claims. Mind you, that's not particularily useful.

And to buy favors, in order to use shops in a realm you aren't allied with. This is useful. I've used this option to repair my troops heavy equipment damage while in enemy lands a few times thanks to this, it really helps.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #17: December 16, 2011, 07:32:03 AM »
Investments usually generate less gold than they cost. If you don't try to compensate with hiked food production (if your region's initial production was subpar), the the only logic to make it worthwhile is that you are paying 10 gold (usually stated as how much less the investment will yield) in order to draw the money to your realm without having to pay a honor cost. It's the fee for international funding, if you will, though obviously it then all gets shared.

Moving your family home to an enemy region will allow you to finance rebels. Mind you, I'm not sure if you actually get the option if in an enemy region, it might only be possible to have it end up in an enemy realm if they later TO it. It's a hell of a price to pay, though.

Family wealth also allows you to buy foreign regions. If I didn't have so many duke and lord chars, I'd have used that option a few times already. A pity the option usually comes when it would no longer make any sense to use it (being wealthy usually implies having a city, and why would you want to trade your city off?).

It also allows you to forge claims. Mind you, that's not particularily useful.

And to buy favors, in order to use shops in a realm you aren't allied with. This is useful. I've used this option to repair my troops heavy equipment damage while in enemy lands a few times thanks to this, it really helps.

and buy regions is on the chopping block. Hurry, hurry, only a few days left! Get your region while it's hot!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: December 16, 2011, 07:40:29 AM »
and buy regions is on the chopping block. Hurry, hurry, only a few days left! Get your region while it's hot!

Yea, but why would a trade a good region for a crap one?

I'd LOVE to actually get to use the feature. But all of my characters are already lords, half of them are dukes. I could buy Fheuvenem with Miroslav, but that wouldn't be very diplomatic, and I'd hate to be duke of both cities in a realm, while also being banker, ambassador, ruler, and marshal. I am trying really hard not to grab up too many positions.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron