Author Topic: Kabrinskia  (Read 20235 times)

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
Re: Kabrinskia
« Reply #15: December 14, 2011, 09:45:18 AM »
Indeed, there can be downsides to naming realms after the founder.

See also: Republic of Fwuvoghor.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: December 14, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »
I for one welcome our Insane neighbors! Overlords 8)

Clarification: In context, I thought he was talking about the Zuma, not Kabrinskia. I see now that I was probably mistaken.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:49:04 PM by Geronus »

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: December 14, 2011, 04:59:35 PM »
Nice one! 8)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #18: December 14, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »
Aww, I feel left out, I wanna declare my own place now. RYANLANDIA.  8)

egamma

« Reply #19: December 14, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »
TOMVOUGHTISTHEMANDIA

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 14, 2011, 07:21:04 PM »
How about EGOMANIA ?  ::)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: December 14, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »
Solari... are you serious? You really named your realm after your family name? I guess some people really like things like that... I get goosebumps thinking about it..

Solaria actually sounds like a decent realm name...heck, if I ever get a chance, I will call a realm Burgundy. Or at least, one of my characters would do it. Maybe two.

Chiming into say that dustole has been planning to use the "Kabrinskia" name ever since the war between Astrum and Caerwyn started. Although I thought we had talked him out of it.

My character absolutely despises this name. He thinks it is a joke :P

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: December 14, 2011, 08:02:06 PM »
I really wish he had chosen something else.

The "Hossenfefferia" comment in Sanguis Astroism was pretty funny, though. :P
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: December 14, 2011, 08:14:29 PM »
Well, you can just replace it again ;)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #24: December 14, 2011, 10:09:18 PM »
It was not a surprise. Nor was Solaria. Shall we usher in an age of pompous human rulers? That sounds like a natural progression. First, the conquest of the wilds. Then the establishment of human presence. Next, human squabbles. Now, human arrogance. Which then proceeds to lead to the reason we say pride often comes before fall. You know...Hubris is looked down upon by gods, but demons prey upon it.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: December 14, 2011, 10:21:33 PM »
It was not a surprise. Nor was Solaria. Shall we usher in an age of pompous human rulers? That sounds like a natural progression. First, the conquest of the wilds. Then the establishment of human presence. Next, human squabbles. Now, human arrogance. Which then proceeds to lead to the reason we say pride often comes before fall. You know...Hubris is looked down upon by gods, but demons prey upon it.

I very much like the idea as framing the issue as the history and progression of a civilization.  The rise of so many people-as-state.  In your narrative I recognize what that means for humanity, but it's still a neat way to think of it all.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: December 15, 2011, 04:30:28 AM »
Though it's a mite cheesy, I really don't mind it.

Hireshmont is just sort of chuckling over it, and hoping that such massive displays of ego tear apart the respective political blocs in which they occurred.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: December 15, 2011, 04:48:25 AM »
Hey, it's still less egotistical than what Jenred planned to name Aenilia after the last time he thought about conquering and setting up a new realm there.

"Jenred's Better Than Aenilia"

And, little note, I asked Tom about something once and he said his personal rule was that if you could find two historical examples of people doing the same thing in a reasonably close timeframe, you were all right.  I have found two examples of people setting up puppet states name "[Rulername]'s Better Than [Formerareaname]"
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: December 15, 2011, 04:21:30 PM »
I have found two examples of people setting up puppet states name "[Rulername]'s Better Than [Formerareaname]"

Really?

I'm very curious about that.

Could you link to examples?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: December 15, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Though it's a mite cheesy, I really don't mind it.

Hireshmont is just sort of chuckling over it, and hoping that such massive displays of ego tear apart the respective political blocs in which they occurred.

I'm not alone in being enamored with the idea of city-states, so here's hoping for the success of both Vanityvilles, Kabrinskia and Solaria.  I don't know anything about Allison or her motivations.  Can someone provide background?  Malus seceded basically as a collective commercial enterprise to roll back the frontier and round up grain for Lurians.  It's a business venture in the earliest sense.  A lot of capital and lives invested in very specific goals with the promise of future payoffs.  IMHO it's the first test case for several ideas Matt, me and several others have been kicking around. 

Related: I sure do like Dwilight.