Author Topic: Give priority target matching for charging cavalry.  (Read 7329 times)

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
What I mean by this is if possible match it with a unit to fight that is big enough to take the full hit. I just had a 43 man calvary unit charge into a 3 man unit with this result when there were plenty of other larger units: "Marshal's Guard (66) score 536 hits on Shield Wall (32) (1814 before overkill)." Since units shuffle their target everyone round, it can be modified to make sure a charging unit really charge. Since the main effectiveness of cavalry is too charge, they wouldn't bother to do that just on three men.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
They made a Death or Glory roll.

And failed.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

egamma

It's extremely hard to turn a cavalry unit--they pretty much have to charge whatever is in front of them.

I'm surprised they didn't split their damage up--is that something that doesn't happen on a charge?

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Units only split damage up with the opposing units you are matched with. Since both sides had about the same amount of troops it was mostly 1 to 1.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Opposing forces don't match on a "unit to unit" basis. It's based on a man-to-man ratio. 43:3 is almost 15:1, which is way over the limit. Your unit should have spread that damage over more enemy units, if there were any available. Is it possible that there were no other "free" enemy units? If all the other troops on that line are already engaged, there is a chance that there was just no one else free for your men to hit.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Well my charter got wounded by an infiltrator after so I can't look at the battle report. But I think all troops were engaged on both sides. So I am saying charging cavalry should get first pick at engaging a unit to make sure it is large enough. Otherwise there is an annoying luck factor that the reason for your unit may be pointless.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Well, yes, there is a luck factor involved in battles. Sometimes you get a good charge, and hit the right unit, some times you don't. I don't see anything particularly wrong with that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I have seen charges into weaker units were the full affect of my charge wasn't needed, but having overkill is ridiculous when there are plenty of other targets. I would think cavalry would only charge if it had a valid target to charge into, and not just 3 guys. The less luck in a game the better, and this is the worst kind of luck.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I have seen charges into weaker units were the full affect of my charge wasn't needed, but having overkill is ridiculous when there are plenty of other targets. I would think cavalry would only charge if it had a valid target to charge into, and not just 3 guys. The less luck in a game the better, and this is the worst kind of luck.

Think upon a battlefield in real life. Would cavalry charge across their own lines to be able to attack a "worthy" unit. Would they spend the time to retire to the back lines, move around their own army to relocate in a charge position, when doing so may well take so long that the tactical situation has changed? Better to charge that little unit, route them and knock them completely out to the battle as soon as possible and then turn you attention to other targets. Otherwise perhaps cavalry can just sit out the entire battle waiting for a decent target to show up within the part of the line they can reasonably target.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Think upon a battlefield in real life. Would cavalry charge across their own lines to be able to attack a "worthy" unit. Would they spend the time to retire to the back lines, move around their own army to relocate in a charge position, when doing so may well take so long that the tactical situation has changed? Better to charge that little unit, route them and knock them completely out to the battle as soon as possible and then turn you attention to other targets. Otherwise perhaps cavalry can just sit out the entire battle waiting for a decent target to show up within the part of the line they can reasonably target.

Sure, you can't really move a charge much once it's started, but you should be able to better aim the charge in general than a 3-man unit, even at a distance. 'cause after all, if you won't be moving your cavalry around constantly for a better angle, they won't be redeploying their units all the time either.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Sure, you can't really move a charge much once it's started, but you should be able to better aim the charge in general than a 3-man unit, even at a distance. 'cause after all, if you won't be moving your cavalry around constantly for a better angle, they won't be redeploying their units all the time either.

The problem here is battle set up. In real life you place your cavalry in the position you NEED them to be. They don't so much target a "unit" as they target part to the line that you want smashed, opening up a gap to be exploited. BM battles simply don't replicate this so well, a 3 man unit is actually kind of ideal for cavalry to targets, since it would be easy to crush that part of the line, opening a gap for infantry to exploit while the cavalry can ride through and regroup for another charge. Since BM doesn't provide a way to select the position in the line of your troops, luck will be the factor.

Remember in RL you don't position Cavalry to produce the "most kills from hits scored" that is a game mechanic. You place them to maximise the strategic gain of the charge. Depending on the situation this might be targeting the strong middle of the line, it might be exploiting a weak flank, most often it was trying to target the part of the line you are trying to weaken, that way when your archers and infantry has whittled away the troops their a heavy cavalry charge can quickly route them.

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The problem here is battle set up. In real life you place your cavalry in the position you NEED them to be. They don't so much target a "unit" as they target part to the line that you want smashed, opening up a gap to be exploited. BM battles simply don't replicate this so well, a 3 man unit is actually kind of ideal for cavalry to targets, since it would be easy to crush that part of the line, opening a gap for infantry to exploit while the cavalry can ride through and regroup for another charge. Since BM doesn't provide a way to select the position in the line of your troops, luck will be the factor.

Remember in RL you don't position Cavalry to produce the "most kills from hits scored" that is a game mechanic. You place them to maximise the strategic gain of the charge. Depending on the situation this might be targeting the strong middle of the line, it might be exploiting a weak flank, most often it was trying to target the part of the line you are trying to weaken, that way when your archers and infantry has whittled away the troops their a heavy cavalry charge can quickly route them.

So since BM doesn't replicate real battle that well charging a 3 man unit is pointless where as real life may be good. To compensate for that, cavalry charge where they need to be should be shown by given priority to make sure they do a real charge when possible.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
So since BM doesn't replicate real battle that well charging a 3 man unit is pointless where as real life may be good. To compensate for that, cavalry charge where they need to be should be shown by given priority to make sure they do a real charge when possible.

The same could be said of many instances. A 100 man archer unit targeting a small unit may not maximise efficiency, same with large infantry units. The charge would have targeted adjacent units if they were available, the fact it didn't suggest that your side had more then adequate forces already engaged. Why should the game ensure that cavalry maximise their charge efficiency?

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The same could be said of many instances. A 100 man archer unit targeting a small unit may not maximise efficiency, same with large infantry units. The charge would have targeted adjacent units if they were available, the fact it didn't suggest that your side had more then adequate forces already engaged. Why should the game ensure that cavalry maximise their charge efficiency?

I can't look at the battle report but the units engaged in I think were matched up mostly 1 to 1 so the reason why there weren't adjacent units available was by the randomness in which it assigns people to fight which is annoying. it doesn't need to maximal a cavalry charge but ensure that it is a real one without overkill when there is no overkill going on any where else in the battle line. The reason why this should be allowed is because cavalry have the unique ability where their first attack is extra strong(maybe besides SF). If an archer units first volley was extra strong, then yeah it would be frustrating it they were dumb enough to aim at the smallest group of units. If the cavalry couldn't do a real charge it would be better to wait then to waste it because then they get chewed up in the normal melee.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I can't look at the battle report but the units engaged in I think were matched up mostly 1 to 1 so the reason why there weren't adjacent units available was by the randomness in which it assigns people to fight which is annoying. it doesn't need to maximal a cavalry charge but ensure that it is a real one without overkill when there is no overkill going on any where else in the battle line. The reason why this should be allowed is because cavalry have the unique ability where their first attack is extra strong(maybe besides SF). If an archer units first volley was extra strong, then yeah it would be frustrating it they were dumb enough to aim at the smallest group of units. If the cavalry couldn't do a real charge it would be better to wait then to waste it because then they get chewed up in the normal melee.

Yes, it would be, if the intent of the battle code was to attempt to maximise the cavalry charge in all cases by reducing the chance of overkill. I'm not sure that is the intent, nor am I sure that with the current state of the battle code that this change wouldn't break 100 other things. If you want a cavalry charge to not suffer from overkill, position them so they charge before the infantry engage the enemy.