Author Topic: Making Titan decisions public  (Read 4212 times)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Making Titan decisions public
« Topic Start: May 11, 2011, 09:56:57 AM »
I recently sent an SMA complaint to the Titans and it was answered in my favour. Now another person is doing exactly the same behaviour. I was wondering how to handle it: do I ask the person to kindly stop and hope they do it, if not, send another SMA complaint? Or do I mention it to them that the Titans have already ruled on a similar case and that their behaviour should not be on an SMA island? Or perhaps some other approach?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Making Titan decisions public
« Reply #1: May 11, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
Send another report.

I personally believe that the results of all Titans actions should be made public. But that's another thread.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

megs

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 16, 2011, 08:13:50 AM »
I was recently accused privately by a player of depriving him of his IR.
Although I don't believe that this is the case, I would like an expert opinion.

Since we have no public decisions were  I can draw conclusions from, is there any way to contact the Titans and get an opinion?
I have thought of posting a grievance against myself, but this sounds a bit extreme.
But I would like to know, because this situation might arise again, and because the other players reaction made me sad.

I don't want to post the details to the public,  because this will give away the name of the other player.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:47:20 AM by megs »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: December 16, 2011, 10:17:16 AM »
That's one of the differences between the Titan and the Magistrate system.

Yeah, it's confusing. We should make up our mind and use and and drop the other.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #4: December 16, 2011, 11:14:25 AM »
I was recently accused privately by a player of depriving him of his IR.
Although I don't believe that this is the case, I would like an expert opinion.

Since we have no public decisions were  I can draw conclusions from, is there any way to contact the Titans and get an opinion?
I have thought of posting a grievance against myself, but this sounds a bit extreme.
But I would like to know, because this situation might arise again, and because the other players reaction made me sad.

I don't want to post the details to the public,  because this will give away the name of the other player.

The player in question shouldn't be making accusations without evidence. Even then, the issue should go straight to the Titans/Magistrates rather than debating it in private channels. The best thing to do is go down to the Q+A part of the Magistrates section and ask them for their opinion. They helped me with an IR-related query before.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 16, 2011, 11:45:39 AM »
that would assume titans and magistrates reach the same conclusion
firefox

megs

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 16, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »
Also this was on stable, no Magistrates there, just Titans...

Chaotrance13

« Reply #7: December 16, 2011, 04:29:48 PM »
They can still offer advice, though. Or other players can.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 16, 2011, 05:13:28 PM »
That's one of the differences between the Titan and the Magistrate system.

Yeah, it's confusing. We should make up our mind and use and and drop the other.

Titans for multis, Magistrates for everything else.

Magistrates seem to be working fine, and it's creating a meaningful base of material for people to reference. Much better system.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

megs

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 16, 2011, 05:31:52 PM »
While I believe that public domain is good, and open discussion can bring advancement, there are some times that confidentiality is needed.
So if we keep the magistrates as the main system, I think the complaints should start as confidential, and if both parties agree, or the magistrates decide, then they should be make public.

The decisions can be made public, without sacrificing the anonymity, by making a summary of the logic behind the ruling.

In any case, regarding my problem, I think I will start a thread at the magistrates, after I clean up as best as I can the messages to retain anonymity.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 16, 2011, 05:35:34 PM »
Maybe the Titans could forward the case to the Magistrates when appropriate? That would be simple.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 16, 2011, 05:50:37 PM »
The decisions can be made public, without sacrificing the anonymity, by making a summary of the logic behind the ruling.

In any case, regarding my problem, I think I will start a thread at the magistrates, after I clean up as best as I can the messages to retain anonymity.
Back when the Magistrates were founded, there was a rather significant debate on the possibility, and merits, of anonymity. But really, the whole point of the magistrates is to avoid the anonymity and the "secret court" feeling that the titans create.

There are some things that the Titans can handle best, such as multi-cheating accusations. But for most pardon the expression, "run of the mill" cases the Magistrates can probably handle them quite well.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #12: December 16, 2011, 08:41:37 PM »
Back when the Magistrates were founded, there was a rather significant debate on the possibility, and merits, of anonymity. But really, the whole point of the magistrates is to avoid the anonymity and the "secret court" feeling that the titans create.

There are some things that the Titans can handle best, such as multi-cheating accusations. But for most pardon the expression, "run of the mill" cases the Magistrates can probably handle them quite well.

So if a person requests anonymity, they shouldn't be allowed to have it? That's just asking for trouble.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 16, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »
If you think the matter is that sensitive, send a personal e-mail to Tom.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: December 16, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »
So if a person requests anonymity, they shouldn't be allowed to have it? That's just asking for trouble.

What expectation of anonymity do you have in a public online game? It's completely up to the individual(s) who run the game really.