Author Topic: Is there something changed with the map on the travel page on Beluaterra?  (Read 18231 times)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Unless things like  are added.

To be honest those ideas sound like adding complications to the game just for the sake of giving the new map system some validity.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
The main advantage of the new map is that it can be zoomed and panned. This gives you the view you need, when you need it, instead of a giant image that may or may not work nicely.

We also want to give people a better feedback. And honestly, I am a big fan of the Realms view - it gives me a much, much better impression of the land covered by a realm than the icons.

But the big thing is that we can extend this with more things. Trade maps, religion maps - some of this already exists, but it's ugly and not very useful. Now we can make it really well.

But if there is anything aside from change that you dislike about the new dynamic map, let us know and we'll find ways to improve it. I know the information the old one displayed about starvation, fortifications, etc. isn't there yet. But it's coming.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
To be honest those ideas sound like adding complications to the game just for the sake of giving the new map system some validity.
You mean things suggested on these forums before this new map?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I noticed something yesterday.... When panning with the travel page, blight doesn't hide Avalon and Hetland ands, but if I move out, I do see it hiding good chunks of the sea.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
The main advantage of the new map is that it can be zoomed and panned. This gives you the view you need, when you need it, instead of a giant image that may or may not work nicely.

We also want to give people a better feedback. And honestly, I am a big fan of the Realms view - it gives me a much, much better impression of the land covered by a realm than the icons.

By default it goes to a useless map that's mostly empty. No indication of where realms are, where you are and so on. That's not an improvement. It really should default to the old view as closely as possible. I don't want to have to tick x number of boxes just to get the same info I used to get with a single click.

Default to Full Map+Flags or Geograpgy+regions+Flags+Names(though this one looks pretty cluttered compared to Full Map+Flags). Those two give you the most likely information you'll be wanting and leaves you the least clicks in most cases.

Is clicking on region name to be taken to the region page one of those missing things?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
I noticed something yesterday.... When panning with the travel page, blight doesn't hide Avalon and Hetland ands, but if I move out, I do see it hiding good chunks of the sea.

You might have old image files cached.

By default it goes to a useless map that's mostly empty. No indication of where realms are, where you are and so on. That's not an improvement. It really should default to the old view as closely as possible. I don't want to have to tick x number of boxes just to get the same info I used to get with a single click.

Default to Full Map+Flags or Geograpgy+regions+Flags+Names(though this one looks pretty cluttered compared to Full Map+Flags). Those two give you the most likely information you'll be wanting and leaves you the least clicks in most cases.

Is clicking on region name to be taken to the region page one of those missing things?

Actually, it auto-centers on your current location. But yes, I've not yet added a "you are here" indicator.

Yes, it will be clickable when it's done. Not just the region names, the whole regions. Or when in realm view, the realms, etc.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
If you check out the region, duchy (new) and realm details pages now, you can see what our new maps are capable of.

Never before has it been so easy to see just what a realm or duchy covers. I'm sure for many players this will be the first time they get an actual image of their realm.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile

Looking at things on the right (east) side of the map is problematic. The menu for map options often covers things up, and you can't scroll as far to the left.

Expanding the "canvas size" of the image to have black all around it so that you can CENTER on any region would be nice. Currently, you cannot center on regions near the edge, at least on Dwilight.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Looking at things on the right (east) side of the map is problematic. The menu for map options often covers things up, and you can't scroll as far to the left.

There's a button in the right top corner of that menu to hide it, but yeah, it would probably better if the map defaulted to something sane so you didn't need that menu every time. That way the menu could be hidden by default.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster

But you can easily close the layer switcher - it has a [-] symbol precisely for that purpose.

Expanding the "canvas size" of the image to have black all around it so that you can CENTER on any region would be nice. Currently, you cannot center on regions near the edge, at least on Dwilight.

I agree, but I wouldn't want to expand with black, I'd like to expand with more water. The maps were not made for this view, and it shows. The problem is that changing the map size (by adding around it) also means all coordinates have to be adapted, so it's not as easy as putting more water around it in Photoshop.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Also,

On Dwilight, in Terran, when I go to the page:
http://www.battlemaster.org/testing/RealmDetails.php?ID=-1

And then click on "details" of any region, taking me to, for example:
http://www.battlemaster.org/testing/RegionDetails.php?ID=75

Which is clearly a page about Chateau Saffalore... it still highlights, for me, Evenfell as the region. Because I am in Evenfell. Shouldn't it highlight Chateau Saffalore, not Evenfell?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
I am the only one whose new version of the map is quite small in comparison to the old version?

It is very small and much less easy to look at. The region names are very cluttered, as well.

These changes would be awesome if they could come over the map as it was, rather than the very small version now that requires you to zoom in and out just to see things.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Jens Namtrah

I am the only one whose new version of the map is quite small in comparison to the old version?

It is very small and much less easy to look at. The region names are very cluttered, as well.

These changes would be awesome if they could come over the map as it was, rather than the very small version now that requires you to zoom in and out just to see things.

yes!

is it possible to:

1) enlarge the map frame area to go all the way to the top of the page (covering "Dwilight")

2) use a larger frame area and let the map expand/shrink within it, rather than the way the whole map gets bigger/smaller now?

i think it's cool all the things you can now do, except the viewing area is just too small to make it enjoying to work with

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
I know about all of these problems. They will be solved.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
I know about all of these problems. They will be solved.

Excellent.  :)
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)