Author Topic: What little things that people commonly do, do you consider non-SMA? And why?  (Read 20438 times)

Jens Namtrah

Yeah, I agree with Solari. Some might have commanded like that back in the day, but others used an iron fist as well.

i think i didn't state my point very well:

as a rule, there were no standing armies during that time. (As a rule, there were no "marshals" a lord would turn his knights over to, but I guess that's a game necessity)

I dislike this "iron fist, control your every movement like an automaton " type General, but I dislike it more when your realm isn't even at war and they still expect to be in charge of your every turn's actions & that you need "permission" to do anything on your own.

Doubt there is much that can be done about it, so I just leave those realms.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
i think i didn't state my point very well:

as a rule, there were no standing armies during that time. (As a rule, there were no "marshals" a lord would turn his knights over to, but I guess that's a game necessity)

But BattleMaster does have standing armies. And Marshals. Indeed, the main focus of BattleMaster is on war, which was not the case in most real medieval realms.

I dislike this "iron fist, control your every movement like an automaton " type General, but I dislike it more when your realm isn't even at war and they still expect to be in charge of your every turn's actions & that you need "permission" to do anything on your own.

The fact that you just got banned for ignoring military orders, then saying that you owed nothing at all to your liege, then calling said liege—who was also the Judge—a fool, has nothing whatsoever to do with your sudden complaint about this, does it?

Doubt there is much that can be done about it, so I just leave those realms.

Actually, in my experience, nearly all realms, when at war, require that their nobles follow orders at least once in a while, or they will get banned.

BattleMaster is not a single-player game.  If everyone basically did their own thing and ignored their Marshals and Generals and lieges except when it suited them, yeah, it probably would be more like the real medieval period.

But it would be a terrible game.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Jens Namtrah

But BattleMaster does have standing armies. And Marshals. Indeed, the main focus of BattleMaster is on war, which was not the case in most real medieval realms.

The fact that you just got banned for ignoring military orders, then saying that you owed nothing at all to your liege, then calling said liege—who was also the Judge—a fool, has nothing whatsoever to do with your sudden complaint about this, does it?

Actually, in my experience, nearly all realms, when at war, require that their nobles follow orders at least once in a while, or they will get banned.

BattleMaster is not a single-player game.  If everyone basically did their own thing and ignored their Marshals and Generals and lieges except when it suited them, yeah, it probably would be more like the real medieval period.

But it would be a terrible game.

dude, don't go in and read up other realms messages and then post faulty opinions.

I posted my dislike of this on this forum BEFORE any of the controversy around my character happened. He was not banned for "disobeying orders" - he never did that. I never said anything remotely like "I owe nothing to my liege" And we are not really at war, only on paper, and my character was part of the Home Defense anyway.

Stick to giving opinions about things you are actually involved in, please. In-game letters that are not your business are not your business to opine on in the forums.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
dude, don't go in and read up other realms messages and then post faulty opinions.

Dude, I talk to people OOC who are in your realm.

I didn't even know you were in Fissoa until this incident.

You saw that I was paraphrasing and didn't know all the details, and your immediate conclusion was that I was reading your messages?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:36:50 PM by Anaris »
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Jens Namtrah

Dude, I talk to people OOC who are in your realm.

I didn't even know you were in Fissoa until this incident.

You saw that I was paraphrasing and didn't know all the details, and your immediate conclusion was that I was reading your messages?

"Dude",

you should give opinions on things you know for yourself, not second hand accounts that you got wrong but posted as fact.

you weren't "paraphrasing" anything - "The fact that you just got banned for ignoring military orders" is not a paraphrase.

Stick to your own opinions, not regurgitated gossip.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Generally, when I was marshal in PeL/LN I tried to formulate orders as 'We (the army) rally in Keplertown.' as opposed to 'Everyone move to Keplertown.' For battles, something like 'We march to attack the hordes in Keplertown' instead of 'Everyone attack Keplertown'.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
I would like to see a continent-wide "Order of Cavaliers", guild which only accepts Cavaliers as members, and sets a code of conduct on them, and kicks them out if they violate it.

This WILL be happening. My character has had plans for it for at least a real life year, but he only recently got back to PeL and is in the position to get a lordship to found it shortly if he wishes it.

The difficulty will come in getting envoys of other realms that are cavaliers to come and join it. This was the problem in slowly spreading the Keepers of Lore to now be continent wide but without any guildhalls really.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

egamma

This WILL be happening. My character has had plans for it for at least a real life year, but he only recently got back to PeL and is in the position to get a lordship to found it shortly if he wishes it.

The difficulty will come in getting envoys of other realms that are cavaliers to come and join it. This was the problem in slowly spreading the Keepers of Lore to now be continent wide but without any guildhalls really.

sweet. what island?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
sweet. what island?

I'm guessing that "... he only recently got back to PeL ..." means that it will be Dwilight. Especially since this is the Dwilight board.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
I'm guessing that "... he only recently got back to PeL ..." means that it will be Dwilight. Especially since this is the Dwilight board.

Yes its Dwilight.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."