Author Topic: How do you name your unit?  (Read 10212 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: How do you name your unit?
« Reply #15: January 08, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »
The names of my units always start off relating to either where they were recruited from or what region the knight/lord is aligned to.

However, they change over time to reflect the roles that they fill. For instance, one of my dukes has a unit called simply "Ducal Bodyguard" because the duke literally doesn't leave his city as he holds court constantly, hands out gold, and intrigues in the background. But, one of my other characters still has a unit called "Poryatu Chargers" for his cavalry who he has had for real life "multiple years" and that will always be the unit name as the captain has been involved in multiple RP's and has a +15 leadership bonus.

So it really depends, but having them relate to in game things is more interesting imo.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 08, 2012, 10:50:29 PM »
Jenred's had the same unit, the Hawk's Vengeance, for years, ever since he named it that after Valgar insulted Edara.

I do love continuity. The Hand of Malice has been kicking arse up and down Atamara for years and years now >.<

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 28, 2012, 12:49:42 AM »
I like to give them a theme, and if possible a unique name. In Non-SMA the Outrageous Fish are the successors of the Sneaky Darters, after an Ocean travel, while the Bullmen Elite wear their ceremonial Bull-made helmet-and-coat-thingy. In SMA I'm a priest, so no unit yet.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 31, 2012, 04:07:13 AM »
I stick to a main theme for most characters and then reuse them as they feel relevant.

I dont remember most of Ender's old unit names, but he's been using the Death Berserkers as his unit for a long time now. I like to think its the same rabble that just keeps growing or losing random men as time goes on. My Trinity followers, when they've had units, typically use some name referencing that and whatever god they prefer (Judgement of Alluran, Khagister's Wrath, etc). My trader has used the same theme, but with regional variations depending on his locations since I started playing him. It's usually East <Insert Region> Trading Co., though recently its just been Fatmilak Trading Co when he bothers to carry a guard.

A while back I had one of my characters who was the lord of Tepmona just use 1st Tepmonan Guard, and then the number changed every time he recruited a new unit. I think he was somewhere around the 15th Tepmonan Guard when the demons finally slaughtered the poor guy.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 01, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
I done this in East Island.

During the great Fontan-Sirion war, my character Brock has a unit named "Elves Cannot Pass"  :P
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #20: February 01, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »
On the characters that aren't priests, they still tend to be named after things related to the characters' religion.

Lances of the Divine, Hammers of Light, Templars of Holy Church, etc.  Simple, but perfect IC reasons.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: February 01, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »
Well, people in realm tend to remember the last unit, the last man standing in battle victorious and all. There is only 1 time I remembered my character unit "Elves Cannot Pass" ever lived up to that name reputation, he holding ground in Tabost as last man. The rest of times, the name did not even strike fear into those Elves, called Sirion  ;D
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

La Blakeshadow

• Freeman
  • Your useless info is My RP gold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 07, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
My names have the unique flare birthed from the involvement they have with my characters.
I've never have had problems building a name. In Fact, a more challenging question is how I make my character names and the story behind them.

An example is for my naming process for units is
Lullaby Is was once a Assassin, but now sits in Lukon
[A]Lukon's Shadow[L] with some hidden meaning with the letters of course. No true Guild member would not leave a little mystery for others to find out, and just for fun to.

About half of my names are RPed hockeypucked
Like "The Spindles Loyal Guard"
"The Blue Fang Gang"
"Femme's Redbacks"
etc. etc.

Personal titles tossed with colorful group names. Though they still hold plenty of meaning.
Sick of fighting monsters and undead?
hunt sages,wizards, and priests.
Each talk crazy and are fun to chase.

Velocitas

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 05, 2012, 07:34:19 AM »
Space Marine names. (Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars, Imperial Fists)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 05, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »
What meaning do you RP for "Space Wolves"? Fat, spacious wolves?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Zakilevo

« Reply #25: May 05, 2012, 09:02:56 PM »
I usually use something like '1st Platoon' unless I feel lazy and just go with whatever the name I get if I don't type anything.

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 06, 2012, 01:23:31 AM »
yup lazy is the way to go, unless the recruitment center has a really dumb name, then I rename them.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 06, 2012, 01:56:38 AM »
I tend to name it according to recent events. For example, when Riombarans couldn't help themselves from doing sabotage work when they came to "help" us against the daimons, I called my unit "Riombaran Slayers". :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 06, 2012, 01:09:03 PM »
I like to change unit names depending on their size, quality, type, blah blah blah. Best one is still "Death [depending on unit type]". For infantry it was Death Dealers, for archers Death Rainers and so on. Another of my copyrighted unit name is Daimon Witch Hunter.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #29: May 07, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
Anything to do with the Foundation Series.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.