Author Topic: Rework the Vulgarity flag feature  (Read 23181 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Rework the Vulgarity flag feature
« Topic Start: January 07, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
I just ran into a problem with the vulgarity flag feature. It reveals whole messages therefore if someone breached SMA on dwilight in a message of a sensitive nature flagging it would reveal that information to people who aren't supposed to know about it in character.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Rework the Vulgarity flag feature
« Reply #1: January 07, 2012, 09:45:49 PM »
Messages you receive as part of a vulgarity report are considered IC knowledge by your character.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 07, 2012, 10:02:55 PM »
Yeah that's the problem I'm getting at.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: January 07, 2012, 10:11:53 PM »
Think of it like the guy who received the letter originally does in fact have IC knowledge of it, and thus sends off a copy of that letter to the skies where it is brought to you, the reviewer's knowledge. Therefore, it is, in fact, an actual copy of the letter as legit as the original, because clicking that link basically means the reporter sends it out ICly. He doesn't know to whom, but hey, messages in a bottle floating out at sea know not what ports they may see.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 07, 2012, 11:40:32 PM »
That's the problem, no one in their right mind would do that. It should be more along the lines of "rumor has it Jim curses like a peasant".

Suppose a letter has marching orders for an army, but also some curses in it. If anyone flags it the opposing army could receive marching orders. Huge flaw. I suggest either make the knowledge of the curses IC but the details of the letter OOC or rework the feature to prevent this from happening (like restrict peer review only to people who could see the original letter, or let the person flagging select who they want to review it).

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 07, 2012, 11:45:22 PM »
well... it's not like marching orders can't be leaked anyway. only thing is, you can't be tortured into revealing you are the one who leaked it.

only thing would be.. people clicking vulgarity link maliciously for the purpose of leaking info to random people.

a while back, i think i got a vulgarity report of someone telling off someone else for being vulgar. can't remember how it goes, but there's nothing vulgar about that message at all.

but there's no helping that. making it a small circle thing renders the whole thing pointless.
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 07, 2012, 11:58:56 PM »
I just ran into a problem with the vulgarity flag feature. It reveals whole messages therefore if someone breached SMA on dwilight in a message of a sensitive nature flagging it would reveal that information to people who aren't supposed to know about it in character.

I often report sensitive messages as vulgarity as a way of leaking them out around the continent without incriminating myself.

It's a clever way of being a major leak and damage to a person or realm without almost no risk to yourself.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

egamma

« Reply #7: January 08, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »
I often report sensitive messages as vulgarity as a way of leaking them out around the continent without incriminating myself.

It's a clever way of being a major leak and damage to a person or realm without almost no risk to yourself.

Isn't there a chance of a prestige hit to yourself if you repeatedly report things that others don't agree with?

That's the problem, no one in their right mind would do that. It should be more along the lines of "rumor has it Jim curses like a peasant".

Suppose a letter has marching orders for an army, but also some curses in it. If anyone flags it the opposing army could receive marching orders. Huge flaw. I suggest either make the knowledge of the curses IC but the details of the letter OOC or rework the feature to prevent this from happening (like restrict peer review only to people who could see the original letter, or let the person flagging select who they want to review it).

Then you can flag the message, wait until the contents are no longer pertinent, then submit the vulgarity report.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: January 08, 2012, 01:20:38 AM »
If someone really wants to be sneaky and malicious, then H/P hardly matters to him/her.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 08, 2012, 02:17:59 AM »
Really Vulgarity messages are IC? I've always treated them as OOC information. To me it was always a game mechanic asking for my opinion as a player, not as a character.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #10: January 08, 2012, 02:25:17 AM »
Something like "If it's not explicitly stated that it's OOC, or if it's not immediately obvious that it's OOC, then it can be considered IC."

Hey, Magistrate section is right there. /me points at an imaginary point on that other axis. Maybe they can give better definition.

egamma

« Reply #11: January 08, 2012, 06:21:09 AM »
http://battlemaster.org/testing/MessageComplain.php?ID=3168982

As a noble, you can expect to be treated with respect and dignity, and expect certain manners from your peers. That does not mean they can not be offensive or they can not backstab you, but it does mean their manner of speech and behaviour should stand above the common, vulgar peasants.
You can mark another noble's words as vulgar and unbefitting of his class, and they will be forwarded to several randomly selected distinguished nobles for a short peer-review. If they agree on your assessment, the vulgar noble will lose a point of honour for behaving in a non-noble way.
If you complain falsely too often, you yourself will lose respect among your peers, and suffer the consequences.

Note that it says, several times, 'noble', and not 'player'. That indicates that it is IG/IC.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 08, 2012, 07:31:31 AM »

...I really hate not being able to hear people's tone of voice, but I'm going to assume this is sarcastic.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 08, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »
...I really hate not being able to hear people's tone of voice, but I'm going to assume this is sarcastic.

I doubt it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 08, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »

No, not at all. I thought of it when I received an extremely sensitive military message one time on Beluaterra that was not vulgar in the slightest; and it suddenly clicked for me: somebody was ahead of the game on how to undermine their realm. It's completely untraceable and, even if somebody did pin it to you, as long as you can fabricate some story about your honor being offended or something, it won't be immediately assumed your a saboteur.

It's clearly IC information on both ends. And, it's a fair tradeoff: I can leak invulnerably, but I get no control over who receives, and I risk losing H/P if I do it too much. Basically, it's one tier of betrayal below simply spying, IMHO.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner