Author Topic: Infiltrator message interception  (Read 3169 times)

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Infiltrator message interception
« Topic Start: January 05, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
Suggestion:

A clickable ability for infiltrators to intercept messages going to or from nobles in the region where the infil is located.

Would have a cost in gold for bribes and time for doing the leg work.  Then the infil would have a small chance of intercepting messages coming or going in the region.   Not intended to provide 100% of messages, quite the opposite, a small chance.

There should be a chance of being caught and imprisoned.

Perhaps it should only be possible in realms other than the infiltrators home realm.

Perhaps the infil could choose to spy on the message post for the entire region, or to just spy on one particular noble in the region.
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Infiltrator message interception
« Reply #1: January 05, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »
No thanks. Anything that causes mistrust in the game's message system is a bad idea. You will drive people toward using OOG communications for the important/sensitive stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 05, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »
I've wanted this for a long time, but I think that Indirik's right (and this has been Tom's standard response for years): it would cause at least some more important messages to be sent through out-of-game channels.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #3: January 05, 2012, 05:31:19 PM »
Mentors have something similar already, although I think it's just for Scribe notes (scout reports and the like).

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: January 05, 2012, 08:10:12 PM »
This has been rejected several times before. Consider it rejected again and maybe someone can add it to the Wiki page about frequently rejected feature requests.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 05, 2012, 11:59:04 PM »
I created a new feature request page on the wiki for this, but turns out I don't have permission to edit http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Feature_Request

in order to add it to the rejected list.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Feature_Requests/Infiltrator_message_interception
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: January 06, 2012, 12:54:16 AM »
I'm not sure if we even use that page anymore. I don't.

But there's a page for frequently rejected ideas somewhere.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 06, 2012, 01:02:41 AM »
No thanks. Anything that causes mistrust in the game's message system is a bad idea. You will drive people toward using OOG communications for the important/sensitive stuff.
Don't torture reports already do that?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 06, 2012, 01:09:54 AM »
Don't torture reports already do that?

Torture is rather rare. The instances of very juicy stuff being found in torture reports recently suggest that it does not have this affect on all players. As this feature would be
1) Open to more players to use
2) Potentially have much less far reaching effect (look at what tends to happen to realms that employ torture)
3) require fewer special circumstances to be available

It would have a much greater deterrent effect
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: January 06, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »
Torture has one important factor that makes it different:

You know when it has happened.

Having a possible leak that you know about is not half as bad as pretty much having to assume all the time that all your messages could be compromised.