Author Topic: So TMP is gone. Are you enjoying all the new wars?  (Read 58930 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
So... which large wars are these? The only large war I know of is "Let's all kill CE." On every other island, the wars are all ending, with no new ones starting. Yes, TMP had it's problems. But without it, or something to replace it, all I see are wars ending, with none starting. And how long has it been since TMP was removed?

Well, BT's being invaded...

The lurias also all broke out in a big war. Pretty sure TMP was long gone by the time that blew up.

TMP or not, you can't have war all the time on all the continents.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
So... which large wars are these? The only large war I know of is "Let's all kill CE." On every other island, the wars are all ending, with no new ones starting. Yes, TMP had it's problems. But without it, or something to replace it, all I see are wars ending, with none starting. And how long has it been since TMP was removed?

EC: The southern realms are mopping up Ibladesh. The northern realms are having trouble holding onto their piece of Fontan because they don't have enough nobles to go around. Once the new estate system gets pushed to stable, you'll see more wars starting again. Nobles won't start wars when a third of their realm's regions are revolting.

AT: To quote another player, "AT is hopping".

BT: Invasion.

FEI: I don't play there, but from what I hear on the forums, there are still wars and shenanigans going on.

Colonies: LOL Colonies.

Edit: Dwilight: Plenty of wars in the south. The Astroists in the north are keeping occupied with fascinating theological discussions, I'm sure. TMP is pretty damaging to SMA as well, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:38:23 AM by GoldPanda »
------
qui audet vincit

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
The Lurias don't count. If we forbid all wars, and took out all mechanics for being able to fight, the Lurians would still find a way to have a war. :D

I know, though, that you can't have war all the time. But you should at least have some wars. FEI is practically dead. EC... well, *yawn*...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Well, BT's being invaded...

The lurias also all broke out in a big war. Pretty sure TMP was long gone by the time that blew up.

TMP or not, you can't have war all the time on all the continents.

Yes, but the players in Luria (ie me and others) actively push for wars everywhere we play. We aren't exactly the people that TMP targeted since we go out of our way to generate conflict,
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
The Lurias don't count. If we forbid all wars, and took out all mechanics for being able to fight, the Lurians would still find a way to have a war. :D

I know, though, that you can't have war all the time. But you should at least have some wars. FEI is practically dead. EC... well, *yawn*...

If the Lurias don't count, then neither does the East Continent. Similar logic applies: if you took out all mechanics for being able to be at peace, the East Continent will still find a way to be at peace. Forgive my cynicism for that continent, but I hardly consider it to be a valid model to judge on TMP's effectiveness and necessity. Since I joined this game over five years ago, people on EC have *always* been whining about not having enough wars while all my characters had plenty of stuff on their hands on the other continents I played on... FEI also seems to be peace-prone.

On Dwi, Lurias's war, in conjunction with Madina's downfall, opens the door for all kinds of changes. Also, nothing suggests that SA, after all these wars, will be happy to just be at peace and talk of how praiseworthy the shiny skylights are. I have faith in Dwi being able to brew some new developments.

Yes, but the players in Luria (ie me and others) actively push for wars everywhere we play. We aren't exactly the people that TMP targeted since we go out of our way to generate conflict,

Then people who complain about not enough wars should stop following the people who want nothing but to sit on their titles. Simple enough solution. There aren't just 2 continents and 5 realms in the game, after all.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile

And now Fissoa is entering the war. I know of others either considering war or preparing for it. In Dwilight and Atamara (Beluaterra doesn't count) the end of TMP has not ended wars at all. In Dwilight they seem to have increased, but I think the new estates are also playing their role in it.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
FEI also seems to be peace-prone.

Very true.  Relic of everyone working together during the war with Soliferum.  I think a solution to that is in the offing.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Very true.  Relic of everyone working together during the war with Soliferum.  I think a solution to that is in the offing.

Gods knows I tried to get the south to actually fight a war. But whenever a conflict arrives they use DIPLOMACY. It is enough to make a self respecting warmonger cry.

Then people who complain about not enough wars should stop following the people who want nothing but to sit on their titles. Simple enough solution. There aren't just 2 continents and 5 realms in the game, after all.

You have seen Tom say enough that its not peace master. I don't think its ever going to be okay to just say, oh that is the peaceful continent.

Gustav Kuriga

I have to put something out there... FEI is probably going to erupt into widespread war now that Jenred is no longer around to strong-arm the other realms into following his lead. ^_^

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I have to put something out there... FEI is probably going to erupt into widespread war now that Jenred is no longer around to strong-arm the other realms into following his lead. ^_^

His lead WAS war. Matt consistently pushes for war. The south, mostly Cathay (well in the past) and Kindara constantly work to restrict Araean wars. That was the problem, Jenred couldn't strong arm the realms that had the capacity to restrict war on the island.

Gustav Kuriga

My bad then, that's just what I've seen in my short time there.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
EC... well, *yawn*...

I have to concur with GoldPanda. With the new estate system expansion on EC will be much easier, with the consequence of much more potential for wars. Right now it's largely locked into "mh I could attack X, but then what? just driving everything rogue would be pointless"

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
My bad then, that's just what I've seen in my short time there.

I completely understand how it looked that way, though.  There weren't many. 

The difficulty was in starting wars that wouldn't lead to being utterly, utterly crushed by a coalition of realms who didn't agree with the reasoning behind the war.  I only managed that twice, and one of those times almost resulted in Arcaea getting seriously hurt, and that was with being the most powerful (at the time) Ruler with the most experience and the most favours on the continent.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
I have to concur with GoldPanda. With the new estate system expansion on EC will be much easier, with the consequence of much more potential for wars. Right now it's largely locked into "mh I could attack X, but then what? just driving everything rogue would be pointless"

Sirion is so big you'll probably still have that problem even with New Estates. There are other coding limits that will hurt you if you get too big, like distance from capital anarchy gains, refit times, and increased recruitment costs. You need to start taking the hegemonic line. Instead of taking territory, start making buffer states, and then start expanding your buffer states. I guess you already are kind of making buffer states. Keep working on them.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Sirion is so big you'll probably still have that problem even with New Estates. There are other coding limits that will hurt you if you get too big, like distance from capital anarchy gains, refit times, and increased recruitment costs. You need to start taking the hegemonic line. Instead of taking territory, start making buffer states, and then start expanding your buffer states. I guess you already are kind of making buffer states. Keep working on them.

It's very hard to make buffer states with the old estates system given noble constraints.

Under new estates, buffer states are far easier to set up, because the losses from dispersing the nobility are much "softer."
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner