Author Topic: Allow marshals/generals to see number of siege engines in their army  (Read 17646 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
The suggestion is to allow Marshals and Generals to see the number of siege engines carried by the army, on the "View Armies" page. It makes sense those in charge would know how many there are, as they're not exactly small, and it's a pain in the ass being forced to have every member of every army inform you how many engines they have.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
just show them in scout reports. not exactly small and all that.
firefox

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
You can't see the number of scouts either, or healers, or carts, or equipment stats. I will go out on a limb here and say that it is probably intentional.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
yes.. we all know that.. but the point he's making is that the engines are huge, so marshals should know.

the point i'm making is that if it's so bloody big, show it on the scout report. (and/or marshal getting info auto)
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
That's a good request, and not hard to add.

No, it is not intentional that the scouts, etc. are not visible. It just was hard to do with the old code system.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I personally think it's good that the only thing shown is the number of men and the CS. I dislike micromanaging marshals. I don't think any marshal or general should "be forced to have every member of every army inform you how many engines they have" because they don't need to know. Or if they do, the correct answer should be "enough".
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
First, I highly disagree that marshals and generals don't need to know how many siege engines the army has. The success or failure of entire campaigns can hinge on how many siege engines an army is carrying. What a knight considers "enough" may be nowhere near what a marshal or general considers "enough". Yet the marshal/general is the one responsible for making sure that the siege succeeds.

Second, siege engines are not small things. Siege towers are scores of feet tall. Siege ladders, as well. Catapults and trebuchets? Not small. If you can see a unit well enough to count the number of men they have with them, then you damn well can count their siege engines.

Banners, too. And probably caravans as well. These are rather large freight wagons. Kid of hard to hide.

Now when it comes to thing like scouts and healers, I tend to agree that they probably should not be listed. Possibly not carts, either. After all, every traveling troop of armed men will probably have some form of cart or pack animals to carry equipment and supplies. And when you get up to the scale of armies, you have the proverbial camp followers that trail along with the army.

This also means that these things would be visible when you scout enemy troops, as well.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
extend unit inalienable rights to paraphernalia (which is part of a unit anyway)
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
stop micromanaging nutters ordering X banners per man, Y engines after they can see the number of banners/engines... and punishing people for not doing it.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It hardly seems worth modifying the inalienable rights to allow someone to carry their desired number of banners.

"It is my inalienable right to carry five banners, if I so choose!"

Are we going to start asking the Titans to bolt people for asking someone to go buy another siege engine? That seems... harsh.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I'm not sure I see the harm to individuals here.  It is important for commanders to know things like this.  And besides, any commander that's punishing characters for not having "sufficient" paraphernalia probably needs a kick in the pants.  People underestimate the power of complaining in large groups.  Why do you suppose "clans" are so successful?  Because six people can completely wreck a realm's power structure by complaining.  Try it sometime!—on a legitimate complaint, please.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Only report the Army Value perhaps, and only of those things that can be crucial. So the Army has x Siege Engines. That way you can't really see who has what (Unless we start moving people to a dummy army to check....). I don't really feel like my Marshal micromanaging my banners, healers, scouts etc. and bothering me to get his composition of such paraphernalia.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Only report the Army Value perhaps, and only of those things that can be crucial. So the Army has x Siege Engines. That way you can't really see who has what (Unless we start moving people to a dummy army to check....). I don't really feel like my Marshal micromanaging my banners, healers, scouts etc. and bothering me to get his composition of such paraphernalia.

This.  A total for the entire army seems like a much better (and realistic) compromise.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It hardly seems worth modifying the inalienable rights to allow someone to carry their desired number of banners.

"It is my inalienable right to carry five banners, if I so choose!"

Are we going to start asking the Titans to bolt people for asking someone to go buy another siege engine? That seems... harsh.

well, there lies the problem. asking, even advising (based on pure guesses or someone leaking out the "optimum" number, however how outdated if there's such a thing) is fine when no one has a clue what you have, ie you something can ignore. when they know and then kick up a fuss about it like punishment is not good.

does it need to go as far as inalienable rights? debatable. if you can tell how many banners/engines someone has, does it need to be made clear that it's stupid to dictate number of banners, and completely frowned upon with proviso to do something about it if it gets widespread? yes.
firefox