Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Message writing on the mobile website (testing islands)

Started by Velax, January 14, 2012, 04:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velax

I understand some new message writing system has been put in place on the testing islands. I don't know about the regular website, but on the mobile version I can't put "new lines" in. Any I put in the message get ignored when it's sent or during preview, so it all ends up in one giant paragraph.

Tom

Some details would help a ton. Like what mobile device/browser, etc?

Velax

Using an Ipad 2, this problem happens in the Safari, Atomic Web and Mercury browsers. In Mercury, the box to enter text in is very small, while in Safari and Atomic Web it stretches the entire length of the screen. The problem also happens on my Samsung Galaxy SII in Firefox (with the text box also going across the whole screen).

Tom

I've changed it a bit around now, can you re-test, please? It should no longer use ckeditor on the mobile site, where it apparently doesn't work anyways for most devices.

Velax

The only change is that the Mercury text box now stretches the width of the screen too. No change on the new lines.

Tom

Well, it is a normal HTML textarea now. So whatever the problem is, it can't be the editor.

I need a detailed bug report with precise descriptions of what you do, what the result is, and which steps I need to reproduce it.

Indirik

Dwilight

Sent a message to all realm mates. Wrote one short sentence. Hit enter three times. Pasted a scribe note link. So I had one line of text, two blank lines, and then another line of text. When I sent it, it came through as a single line, with all line breaks removed.

Tmobile G2 with default browser.  I sent it just before posting this.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

I've done the same as Indirik on all the browsers I mentioned above. Tried sending to various groups (nearby adventurers, my ruler, etc). Tried different combinations of line breaks (one, two and three). They all get removed.

I tested right then and line breaks work now, but the text box is massive.

Tom

it's probably because the textarea is sending new-line "\n" characters, and not linebreaks (
).