Author Topic: Rebalance of seasons on dwilight  (Read 12024 times)

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Rebalance of seasons on dwilight
« Topic Start: January 15, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
The seasons on dwilight have major influence on the food production, at this moment the current modifiers are:

Spring: 75% production
Summer: 100%
Autumn: 200%
Winter: 25%

This means that it requires some math to find out how much you would need to feed the peasants in the winter and incase of cities buying food that in one period they have to pay a lot, and in others almost nothing. I would like to propose to make the gap between autumn and winter smaller, so production is spread out more over the year and that events like a drought in autumn won't have devastating effects for the coming winter.

Also, it would be nice if a closer look would be taken at the weather zones as some realms fall entirely in the same zone and a drought would bring food production close to zero.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Rebalance of seasons on dwilight
« Reply #1: January 15, 2012, 05:34:48 PM »
The seasons on dwilight have major influence on the food production, at this moment the current modifiers are:

[...]

Also, it would be nice if a closer look would be taken at the weather zones as some realms fall entirely in the same zone and a drought would bring food production close to zero.

We are working on some food changes.

The weather zones are geographical. We will not change them to adept them to realms - realms keep changing. If your realm is hit hard by bad weather because all its regions are in the same weather zone - well, go and get yourself some juicy rurals in a different zone.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 15, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »
Tom, please take a look at the region of Pian en Luries, Luria Nova and Solaria. That entire region falls in the same weather zone and the realms are formed to natural borders. Conquering a different region isn't the option.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 15, 2012, 05:43:14 PM »
Guess your army should stock up on Caravans and do some raids in another Realm ;)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 15, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
Guess your army should stock up on Caravans and do some raids in another Realm ;)

I don't think you grasp the size of the problem.

There is a single weather zone that runs from the southern island (where Fissoa and Luria Nova are) all the way up to Libero Empire.  It nearly completely contains multiple realms, and runs through at least 5.

Furthermore, there's no reasonable way that that much land should have the same weather at the same time.  It should be broken up into at least 4 separate zones.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: January 15, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
Maybe the weather zones should be more diverse? One big chunk of the same weather zone doesn't seem to make sense. Oh well after all BM is a game  ;)

egamma

« Reply #6: January 15, 2012, 06:54:28 PM »
I agree. The area south of the Palm Sea should be one zone. The area west of Grodno should be a second, and Santoo north to the Divide Mountains a third.

(and, seriously? Mattan Dews? Dantooine? Those are worse than Eregon.)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #7: January 15, 2012, 08:46:14 PM »
...You guys with your green pastures are complaining about the weather messing with your food?!

* Artemesia points at the stuff he's standing in which grows crops about as well as chunks of obsidian...which is probably what the stuff actually is.

Is the current stuff really that broken though? If it turns out that y'all get more food that pumps up supply so I can buy more by jacking up prices, then I'm not complaining. But still...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 15, 2012, 09:10:48 PM »
Is the current stuff really that broken though? If it turns out that y'all get more food that pumps up supply so I can buy more by jacking up prices, then I'm not complaining. But still...

At present, a good harvest will mean a good harvest for approximately 1/5 of the entire continent of Dwilight.

And, conversely, a drought will mean starvation for that same 1/5.

This is not conducive to interesting trading situations.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 15, 2012, 09:52:59 PM »
I agree. However, I don't think the modiefiers should be altered. Winter is bad, which is good.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 15, 2012, 11:05:12 PM »
I agree. However, I don't think the modiefiers should be altered. Winter is bad, which is good.

I guess it depends on the experiences you have.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 15, 2012, 11:15:39 PM »
I guess it depends on the experiences you have.

They are extreme, which means for many realms the season cycle becomes a dominate factor for the realm. If food is meant to be an all consuming element of the game this works well. If it is meant to be more of a a background thing, not so great.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 16, 2012, 01:43:10 AM »
I personally like the extreme seasons, but I do agree that the weather zones are too large.

I think if every weather zone were subdivided a few times, it would be useful.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 16, 2012, 03:00:42 AM »
So... do we have any climatologists who want to volunteer to help redraw the weather maps?

Having large weather areas in and of itself is not a bad thing, if they make sense based on the geography. I agree that the bit north-south ones really don't look good. But a big one that encompasses a large plains area makes sense. At least to me. And don't most RL weather areas go mostly east-west?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #14: January 16, 2012, 06:51:27 PM »
What are the actual dimensions of dwilight? 500 miles by 500 miles? There probably wouldn't be much in the way of change over that small of an area.

Also, it is generally assumed that the world of Battlemaster spins the same way the Earth does? That will impart winds that blow from west to east.

Weather is affected by a number of factors, including:
longitude (areas closer to the north pole are colder)
oceans (which we have a lot of, and which tend to moderate climates)
mountains (tall mountains tend to block moisture from blowing. For example, assuming standard wind patterns, Balance's Retreat over to the Flying Longrns should be much drier than Nyuushi, and West Divide should be wetter than North Divide)
deserts (all that sand heats the air above it, creating a dry wind that would dry out surrounding areas)