Author Topic: Rebalance of seasons on dwilight  (Read 12025 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Rebalance of seasons on dwilight
« Reply #15: January 16, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »
Your advisor studies the maps, then proposes this route:
Sabadell - Eidulb Outskirts - Eidulb - Golden Farrow - Port Raviel - Paisly - Madina - Madina Gardens
Taking this route, it would take you 256 hours, or 35 turns, to cover the total distance of 2470 miles, assuming no travel delays.

...and...

Your advisor studies the maps, then proposes this route:
Sabadell - Aquitain - Ygg d'Razhuul - Yggdramir - Valkyrja
Taking this route, it would take you 41 hours, or 8 turns, to cover the total distance of 426 miles, assuming no travel delays.

2,470 + 426 = 2,896 miles (4,660 km)

For comparison:
Ottawa, Canada to Mexico City, Mexico is about 2,830 miles (4,553 Km).
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 16, 2012, 09:06:41 PM »
Using Indirik's comparison, there is a fairly good argument for a pretty varied amount of weather zones. From frigid winters in the north with feet upon feet of snow, to very tropical in the south experiencing virtually no winter whatsoever.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 16, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »
Using Indirik's comparison, there is a fairly good argument for a pretty varied amount of weather zones. From frigid winters in the north with feet upon feet of snow, to very tropical in the south experiencing virtually no winter whatsoever.
I usually think of winter in the south of being a monsoon season, which would still lead to lower crop production.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 16, 2012, 09:56:33 PM »
Sure, you can go with that. "Winter" could be a pretty generic term. But even so, you'd have to really stretch to find a reason that weather in both Ottawa and Mexico City were the same, on a daily basis.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #19: January 16, 2012, 11:52:24 PM »
It would be nice to see the growing season length vary based on location, or the %. But there would have to be all sorts of rebalancing for that to happen.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 17, 2012, 12:04:19 AM »
It would be nice to see the growing season length vary based on location, or the %. But there would have to be all sorts of rebalancing for that to happen.

Given that people already complain about the complexity of the food game, do we really want to introduce MORE variables?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 17, 2012, 02:07:57 AM »
The problem in my opinion is not the seasons in themselves. They make the trading game a lot more interesting and you only need one member of your realm to really worry about them (the banker). Just find someone who doesn't mind doing it.

However, that one single large geographic zone is a problem.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 17, 2012, 02:12:45 AM »
The problem in my opinion is not the seasons in themselves. They make the trading game a lot more interesting and you only need one member of your realm to really worry about them (the banker). Just find someone who doesn't mind doing it.

However, that one single large geographic zone is a problem.

If the trading game was all that interesting, we wouldn't struggle to get a single Trader in so many realms, and have to go to such lengths to find players wanting to be Bankers. Most people don't what to play spreadsheet master, which is what the seasons generally require. Nor do most people wish to spend their time as Banker constantly trying to get the Lords to set up their trade offers to account for seasons. In many realms it was hard enough to get Lords to set automatic food movement once, having to adjust it even a few times for seasons can be a real headache.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: January 17, 2012, 03:46:39 AM »
If the trading game was all that interesting, we wouldn't struggle to get a single Trader in so many realms, and have to go to such lengths to find players wanting to be Bankers. Most people don't what to play spreadsheet master, which is what the seasons generally require. Nor do most people wish to spend their time as Banker constantly trying to get the Lords to set up their trade offers to account for seasons. In many realms it was hard enough to get Lords to set automatic food movement once, having to adjust it even a few times for seasons can be a real headache.

Thus why if I had my wish we would reverse the change to the banker, and give them the right once again for them to personally control all food transfers in the realm.
But if the goal is to control their power, then make it a requirement that the Lords are each able to personally choose whether they want the banker to have control of "their regions" food or not.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: January 17, 2012, 04:00:40 AM »
Thus why if I had my wish we would reverse the change to the banker, and give them the right once again for them to personally control all food transfers in the realm.
But if the goal is to control their power, then make it a requirement that the Lords are each able to personally choose whether they want the banker to have control of "their regions" food or not.

I would guess the real reason the Banker was changed is because it makes little sense to have a element in a multi-player game that requires the interaction of a single player in each realm.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: January 17, 2012, 04:18:28 AM »
I would guess the real reason the Banker was changed is because it makes little sense to have a element in a multi-player game that requires the interaction of a single player in each realm.

I understand the reasons it was changed, but IF food still wants to be kept in game, and it wants to continue to have stuff that players ened to deal with, it might as well only be a single player who wants to deal with it, then burdening multiple.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: January 17, 2012, 04:38:43 AM »
I understand the reasons it was changed, but IF food still wants to be kept in game, and it wants to continue to have stuff that players ened to deal with, it might as well only be a single player who wants to deal with it, then burdening multiple.

I would suggest that if its only purpose is to be something that is dealt with by one player, there would be absolutely no reason to keep it. Food is meant to be a realm concern, it is meant to provide cause for conflicts and provide tactics for war. Having bankers that can quickly remove all the food out of the way of a enemy army, doesn't bode well for the later. Making it all the bankers problem doesn't work well for the former. If the only time people hear about food is when the banker tells them the realm doesn't have enough, generally people will just blame the banker rather then do something constructive.

Think about it like units, each player can only command a single unit for a good reason, because that way military actions require the involvement and commitment of the multiple nobles in the realm. If the majority of food related issues are handled by a single player, largely invisibly to the rest of the realm, how does that foster realm co-operation?

egamma

« Reply #27: January 17, 2012, 04:50:59 AM »
If the trading game was all that interesting, we wouldn't struggle to get a single Trader in so many realms

I think that most islands, probably every island except Dwilight, have little or no droughts and starvation. As long as your realm has two or three weeks worth of food, or possibly less if you were in multiple climate zones, then you really don't have to worry about food much. Dwilgiht, with seasons, food-rich regions and large cities and large weather-pattern areas, offers the most opportunities for trading.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: January 17, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »
I think that most islands, probably every island except Dwilight, have little or no droughts and starvation. As long as your realm has two or three weeks worth of food, or possibly less if you were in multiple climate zones, then you really don't have to worry about food much. Dwilgiht, with seasons, food-rich regions and large cities and large weather-pattern areas, offers the most opportunities for trading.

FEI regularly has starvation in several realms. Since that and Dwilight are the only two realms I've played on where I have had to worry about food I can't say for the other islands.

egamma

« Reply #29: January 17, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »
FEI regularly has starvation in several realms. Since that and Dwilight are the only two realms I've played on where I have had to worry about food I can't say for the other islands.

Yeah, I did notice that in Arcaea. But I haven't heard of starvation in the Colonies or Atamara.