Author Topic: Things that make you go Huh?  (Read 6318 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Things that make you go Huh?
« Topic Start: January 27, 2012, 04:30:41 PM »
So we abandon all sense of realism in this game.

The realism that this game has totally had all along. This game that has instant messaging, recruitment only possible in the capital, movement that only happens at the turn, movement that can't move more than a single region in a turn, no matter how short the distance...

Should I go on?

The lack of realism is one of the contributing reasons that we have trouble holding new players.

No, it's really not.

The big reasons we don't hold new players are the learning curve and the lack of a good set of newbie documentation.

It's almost invariably people who have been playing for a long time who complain about realism.

And I knew the risks involved.  This is just one of many example that I could cite of the lack of realism in the game.  I just wanted to open a discussion of the things that put people off in the game and this is one of the most egrious of the Huh moments that I could point out.  That it happens the way it is set up is both unrealistic and unreasonable.  If they were held by local forces, then that would make sense but also give a better chance of escape than a prison that is 6 regions away.

If you want to discuss things that are unrealistic, then make a thread that talks about how things are unrealistic. And preferably how to make them more realistic without making them either 1) not fun or 2) impossible to code.

Don't make a thread that says, "This thing that is unrealistic sucks and is why BattleMaster is a terrible game that is dying and no one wants to play it."
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan