Author Topic: The Zuma  (Read 218125 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: The Zuma
« Reply #390: January 09, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
Proper thread for the Zuma.

Regarding the SMA thing about FangFang: Often when a name in another culture is used in one's own culture, it could sound...weird.

For example, one of China's most fearsome warlords in the Three Kingdoms Era was named Cao Cao. Unfortunately, in Dynasty Warriors, the voice actors apparently didn't know how the name was pronounced and so spoke his name with a hard "C" sound. (It's really not. For those who don't know the language, it's more or less pronounced like "ts")

And so one of China's famous conquerors became known as "Cow Cow", and his son became "Cow Pee".

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #391: January 09, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »
Regarding the SMA thing about FangFang: Often when a name in another culture is used in one's own culture, it could sound...weird.

Fang wouldn't bother me.

FangFang does. It's a CamelCase name, for one thing. That's a modern thing (and don't try to argue that such spelling was used in the middle ages. This one is not medieval.) And the fang in FangFang is no more a transliteration of the Zuma or daimon language than Screamer is. They're meant as english names.

Mini FangFang is cute. And that's wrong. I can accept daimons, not loldaimons.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #392: January 09, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »
Fang wouldn't bother me.

FangFang does. It's a CamelCase name, for one thing. That's a modern thing (and don't try to argue that such spelling was used in the middle ages. This one is not medieval.) And the fang in FangFang is no more a transliteration of the Zuma or daimon language than Screamer is. They're meant as english names.

It is not entirely clear WHERE their names come from. I tend to think the simple Zumans give them the names. But I think this should be obvious, the names are meant to be hints to the players about the personality and purpose of the Daimon.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #393: January 09, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »
It is not entirely clear WHERE their names come from. I tend to think the simple Zumans give them the names. But I think this should be obvious, the names are meant to be hints to the players about the personality and purpose of the Daimon.

As I said, Fang and Screamer don't bother me.

Mini FangFang is not SMA. It breaks the atmosphere.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394: January 09, 2012, 03:57:57 PM »
"loldaimons"... Nice. :)

I can see how hard it would be to have your men charge into battle screaming "Death to the Mini FangFangs!" without cringing at least a little bit.

FangFang is one of the first daimons I've ever really encountered or dealt with. I knew about Haktoo. And now that people are talking about it, I remember hearing about Screamer. But that's about it. I'm going to interpret the character names as some kind of description or interpretation of the character. I mean, if they were going to name them according to the real daimon language, then they'd probably be F'glarthgnpho-ghtwilmix'kk or something....
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #395: January 09, 2012, 06:42:53 PM »
Huh, why is my age old nemesis Indirik finally saying good things that I actually like? Weird.

Yeah, basically, the names have some meaning. And there are some daimons with really exotic names. I'll leave you brave souls to find out.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #396: January 09, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »
I wouldn't mind if Iashalur had been called "Little Astrum". It would have been a fitting description.

If it had been called "Mini AstrumAstrum", however, it wouldn't have worked. The first part of SMA is "serious".

It's the same here. A daimon named Fang or Screamer is fine. As you do, I take it as a description of the daimon, and not a name it gives itself. However, I cannot consider seriously that the scouts or the Zuma or whoever really gave the name "Mini Fang Fang" to a daimon.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #397: January 09, 2012, 07:25:06 PM »
Where did "Mini Fang Fang" come from? Originally the daimon was named FangFang. Are you talking about the unit?

In any case, SMA, as has been argued so much over so much time, does not mean you have to be serious as in serious face, no smiling, you so serious, frown face.

It means you really view your situation as your character. It doesn't mean you can't juggle some balls and make people laugh at you (Did you know that having court jesters that tell raunchy jokes while juggling stuff is very, very much SMA?)

Maybe names should be serious but uh dude, are you really going to play the cultural insensitivity card like you are right now?

Do you know how many REAL WORLD names sound ridiculous in the English treatment of them?

And I don't mean real ridiculous names like Apple. I mean names that are real names in their native cultures, but that coincidentally sound bad in another culture.

How about this: What's your real name? Now, go search for a culture in which your real life name is something like "Poo poo face" in their language. I'm not even joking. This seriously happens in the real world.

Yeah, I know, a daimon should be more frightening. Well, I think it's all the worse when you have something with a cute name suddenly kill you. I always found those cute little girls who suddenly took out a knife and gleefully killed you while keeping that innocent smile on their faces, that exist in some video games, very very disturbing.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:27:56 PM by Artemesia »

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #398: January 09, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »
Fang wouldn't bother me.

CamelCase is actually very ancient. Ancient greek did without spaces between words. So to say it's a modern thing would be folly.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #399: January 09, 2012, 07:36:19 PM »
Where did "Mini Fang Fang" come from? Originally the daimon was named FangFang. Are you talking about the unit?

Oh... it's a unit name? For some reason I was 100% convinced it was a second daimon's name.

I feel silly now.

(FYI, my real name can mean, literally, "Ancestor's heirloom rich in lands", or "olive tree washing machine", depending on which etymology you take. So, yes, I get it.)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400: January 09, 2012, 07:37:28 PM »
* Indirik ponders the nature of a machine that can wash olive trees...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #401: January 09, 2012, 07:57:31 PM »
*Wonders why one would be named after such...*

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #402: January 09, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »
* Artemesia wonders if Fang Fang's unit really is called "Mini Fang Fangs". Never seen the actual force.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #403: January 09, 2012, 09:11:25 PM »
Mini FangFangs

Actually, it appears to be. That's from a scout report. I guess they are the same kind of Daimon FangFang is and got his name from, just inferior.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #404: January 09, 2012, 09:14:27 PM »
* Artemesia wonders if Fang Fang's unit really is called "Mini Fang Fangs". Never seen the actual force.

I've seen the scout report. His unit really is named, and I quote, 'Mini FangFangs'.

Personally I find this hilarious, but I can see how this would annoy anyone who's serious about the SMA thing.