Author Topic: Aurvandil's War Machine  (Read 78264 times)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Aurvandil's War Machine
« Reply #15: February 01, 2012, 04:04:09 AM »
The magic of clanning at work ::)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: February 01, 2012, 04:05:20 AM »
I am as equally confused as everyone else here how this is possible. My character even contacted their Banker to find out if they had special tax systems or something going on. (No response).

Honestly, it seems a bit crazy to me. Their regions aren't good enough to support an army like that unless every single region constantly has an investment on it keeping it at 150% production, as well as families giving them gold.

Whatever they are doing, if its legal, I want to know cause Pian needs it now.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Zakilevo

« Reply #17: February 01, 2012, 04:12:52 AM »
It would be unfair to say they are cheating whenever they reach some crazy CS. I say let them be until someone finds an evidence. I am sure they are tightly running their realm to manage whatever gold they get.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: February 01, 2012, 04:21:26 AM »
It would be unfair to say they are cheating whenever they reach some crazy CS. I say let them be until someone finds an evidence. I am sure they are tightly running their realm to manage whatever gold they get.

That is generally why people complain. Its not impossible, but it is extremely uncommon to see realms operate at such a degree of efficiency. Sirion has a pretty efficient gold system, it doesn't come close to what Aurvandil would need. People will jump to cheating accusations, because some of the player made use of an exploit before. But yes it would be unfair to accuse them of cheating in this instance without some sort of proof.

Can't see them calling on family money, that would dry up soon enough when the family gets tired of being a bank. Constant investments could work, but that would imply the army is going to be in trouble with everyone currently fighting, or they have stockpiled enough to get by.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #19: February 01, 2012, 04:49:15 AM »
I think these three things influence an army.

1) Unit maintenance cost
2) Sharp rise in CS
3) Gold income

1. Aurvandil has income of 3-4k gold per week. They have 44 nobles in their realm so they might be able to increase the tax rate of their city if they have many nobles working for the city.

2. Aurvandil attacked Tower Fatmilak with around 2280 men. That means each noble leads an average of 51~52 men. Having over 50 men will probably cost at least 8 gold a day, 56 gold per week. Having 44 nobles leading 50 men each will cost over 2400 gold. That is over half of the total income.

3. Aurvandil managed to increase their CS by 12000 within 14 days. (Started around 16000 CS on Jan 11th to 28000 CS on Jan 25th)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: February 01, 2012, 04:59:31 AM »
I think these three things influence an army.

1) Unit maintenance cost
2) Sharp rise in CS
3) Gold income

1. Aurvandil has income of 3-4k gold per week. They have 44 nobles in their realm so they might be able to increase the tax rate of their city if they have many nobles working for the city.

2. Aurvandil attacked Tower Fatmilak with around 2280 men. That means each noble leads an average of 51~52 men. Having over 50 men will probably cost at least 8 gold a day, 56 gold per week. Having 44 nobles leading 50 men each will cost over 2400 gold. That is over half of the total income.

3. Aurvandil managed to increase their CS by 12000 within 14 days. (Started around 16000 CS on Jan 11th to 28000 CS on Jan 25th)

You third one is the most telling in my opinion. They may be working with an army they can't afford long term. Given the gold reserves and the RCs that is easily possible. In terms of cost to pay units, 50 of my average stats archers cost 70 gold per week.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: February 01, 2012, 05:22:40 AM »
For the record:

Those who have the ability to look into this have been made aware that people are suspicious of this.  I cannot comment any further, for the obvious reasons, until a decision has been made.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: February 01, 2012, 05:24:26 AM »
You third one is the most telling in my opinion. They may be working with an army they can't afford long term. Given the gold reserves and the RCs that is easily possible. In terms of cost to pay units, 50 of my average stats archers cost 70 gold per week.

I am not accusing anyone of cheating, and don't necessarily think they are, but I"d like to know what system they've concocted because it sounds extremely useful.

But yes, your gold estimates per unit are a bit low. It costs a bit more to maintain the unit sizes they are doing so and their cs numbers seem just huge for Dwilight's standards. If PeL could pull just 1/3rd of the strength that they are with our third-half of their nobles we'd be fine in our war.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: February 01, 2012, 05:34:33 AM »
I am not accusing anyone of cheating, and don't necessarily think they are, but I"d like to know what system they've concocted because it sounds extremely useful.

But yes, your gold estimates per unit are a bit low. It costs a bit more to maintain the unit sizes they are doing so and their cs numbers seem just huge for Dwilight's standards. If PeL could pull just 1/3rd of the strength that they are with our third-half of their nobles we'd be fine in our war.

Solaria isn't that far off. Our 17 nobles are just shy of 10k, and we are currently refitting. Of course noble count isn't all that matters. Not that it is the most relevant number, but in terms of total economy Solaria has 3k to their 4k.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: February 01, 2012, 05:38:59 AM »
Solaria isn't that far off. Our 17 nobles are just shy of 10k, and we are currently refitting. Of course noble count isn't all that matters. Not that it is the most relevant number, but in terms of total economy Solaria has 3k to their 4k.

Noble count is not the determining factor in my opinion anyway. I think gold is. Pian en Luries has very close to the amount of gold income that they do (Auvrendil?, spelling probably wrong) but could never hope to field even 15-20k cs.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: February 01, 2012, 05:47:43 AM »
Noble count is not the determining factor in my opinion anyway. I think gold is. Pian en Luries has very close to the amount of gold income that they do (Auvrendil?, spelling probably wrong) but could never hope to field even 15-20k cs.

It is a factor though. Smaller units are cheaper, and have a higher CS per man/per gold spent as well.
I'm not 100% on how much of a factor it would be, but 2000 identical men spread into 40 units should be cheaper and provide a higher CS then if we spread them into 20 units.

When we talk about gold, the thing is we are so far talking about a rather short term boost to their military strength. Gold supplies can be built up for this, and if there is no gold drain on the realm (tournaments, people sending off gold to the family, food imports) you could build up the gold needed for a big CS boost. Nothing much has happened in the war for a while now, giving them time to build up gold reserves.

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: February 01, 2012, 05:48:36 AM »
Where are you getting their gold values from. The statistics page shows a very characteristic investment pattern which has now tailed off, they have the second lowest raw income on the continent.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: February 01, 2012, 05:51:57 AM »
Realm page, which I believe just shows the total gold of the regions, given perfect production and 10% tax. Like I said, not a great indicator of true gold income. Then again the stats page is not perfect either, and doesn't take into account things like tax rates.

Zakilevo

« Reply #28: February 01, 2012, 06:07:54 AM »
More nobles you have, bigger CS you can build with the same gold. The CS per unit diminishes more as you have more units. If you recruit 30 men with 400 CS, you won't get 800 CS with 60 men of same quality.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: February 01, 2012, 09:48:36 AM »
More nobles you have, bigger CS you can build with the same gold. The CS per unit diminishes more as you have more units. If you recruit 30 men with 400 CS, you won't get 800 CS with 60 men of same quality.

Exactly. They have the highest noble count on Dwilight. Combined with strict investments and tight coordination, that could explain the total CS. We'll have to see whether they are able to maintain their number or not, though, and to what degree.