Author Topic: Cities and Duchies  (Read 32141 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Cities and Duchies
« Reply #75: February 14, 2012, 06:27:30 PM »
Wut? So when Astrum takes the city of Chrysantalys, and I create a duchy and bestow it on the Marquis of Chrysantalys, I can't all it the Duchy of Chrysantalys? I'd love to hear the rationale for that...

How about forbidding giving a Duchy the name of a region that it does not contain, and the name of a realm that does not contain it?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: February 14, 2012, 06:54:22 PM »
So, Fissoa couldn't accept the refuge nobles from Madina, and create the duchy of East Madina (Lesser Madina, Madina in Exile, etc.) in the townsland of Drowentown, since there is a region named "Madina"? Or, hell, why couldn't they call it the Duchy of Madina, since it contains the nobles that still think of themselves as Madinans?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: February 14, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »
So, Fissoa couldn't accept the refuge nobles from Madina, and create the duchy of East Madina (Lesser Madina, Madina in Exile, etc.) in the townsland of Drowentown, since there is a region named "Madina"? Or, hell, why couldn't they call it the Duchy of Madina, since it contains the nobles that still think of themselves as Madinans?

Hm. OK, you've convinced me on realms.

Still think the restriction for regions is reasonable.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #78: February 14, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
You lose continuity. Getting named as a duke is a prestigious and honorable. That prestige and honor is based on the accumulated history of the duchy. Changing the name is tantamount to discarding all that history, effectively pissing on it as if it didn't matter.

I didn't say the duke could rename the duchy. I agree that would be a horrible idea, within a week we would have ten duchies named after their duke.

I'd reserve the right to names for the ruler.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: February 14, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
Hm. OK, you've convinced me on realms.

Still think the restriction for regions is reasonable.

I think if would be amazing if Luria Nova had already created a duchy of Askileon.

I think it would be even more amazing if both Luria Nova and Solaria had already created a duchy of Askileon!  ;D
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: February 14, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »
I think if would be amazing if Luria Nova had already created a duchy of Askileon.

I think it would be even more amazing if both Luria Nova and Solaria had already created a duchy of Askileon!  ;D
Oh please please please, make me(my character) Duke of Solari. (Cmon, Saul, you know you want to...)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: February 14, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »
...within a week we would have ten duchies named after their duke.
That's partly what I would be worried about, too. In addition to that, though, you'd have people changing duchy names to be more consistent with their chosen character theme. You'd have a "viking" character changing the Duchy of Perdan to the Duchy of Thor's Hammer, because "Perdan just isn't viking enough", and then the next duke would change it to the Duchy of Shinto-ka because he's a "samurai" or some crap like that. I'm all for realm themes, and the ability to customize your realm to the desires of the players.  But we often have such a diverse player base, and people with strong ideas of what their individual character concept is, that we end up with a fractured conglomeration of stuff that just doesn't fit together into a cohesive story.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #82: February 14, 2012, 09:53:17 PM »
Well, my thoughts after all this:
  • ruler-only option, same screen where he can create and delete duchies
  • cost of gold (a bit) and hours (some more)
  • timer so it can't be changed back-and-forth so quickly that it would confuse people, especially in other realms
  • announcement to the realm, with protest options
That should curb most abuses I can think of.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: February 14, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »
That sounds perfect!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #84: February 15, 2012, 11:57:19 AM »
all but the timer is done now. Timer requires a new database field.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: February 15, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
Oh please please please, make me(my character) Duke of Solari. (Cmon, Saul, you know you want to...)

Malus, too, is looking for an excuse to stop playing nice and grind PeL into oblivion!  ;)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: February 15, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »
Malus, too, is looking for an excuse to stop playing nice and grind PeL into oblivion!  ;)

Another stab perhaps? Meh, you're not going to get anything you wish. At least if you only wish to see PeL destroyed.

Anyway, on topic, I do like these changes Tom. Should liven things up, especially now that the duchies can have more custom name changes. (with restrictions)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: February 16, 2012, 08:03:22 AM »
Well, my thoughts after all this:
  • ruler-only option, same screen where he can create and delete duchies
  • cost of gold (a bit) and hours (some more)
  • timer so it can't be changed back-and-forth so quickly that it would confuse people, especially in other realms
  • announcement to the realm, with protest options
That should curb most abuses I can think of.

The protest option is good. A ruler who doesn't like one of his dukes could prove very annoying by constantly changing the name of the duke's duchy.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: February 16, 2012, 09:00:06 PM »
Hm, would all of the duchies have the prefix "duchy of..." before their name, or could one play around with it (perhaps have the option of making it "duchy of Eastmarch" or "Eastmarch duchy"?)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: February 16, 2012, 09:06:39 PM »
Hm, would all of the duchies have the prefix "duchy of..." before their name.
Yes.