Author Topic: Feature Cut: Mentors  (Read 24881 times)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Cut: Mentors
« Reply #75: August 01, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
I've been working on a general newbie-guide on the wiki for a while... well, I used to work on it. I got pretty far but then life caught up with me and I let it rest. I won't have time to continue the work on it right now, but I will have in about one-and-a-half month. For the video: I had been speaking about that with Lilwolf once and we almost got to the point of making one, but again, life caught up with me and I let it slip.

Making a few forum topics left and right is something that doesn't require much of my time, and I'll be sure to do that. Preferably today. Haven't been posting on the forum for over half a year though so I might have to read up. It's good that you're willing to hand out goodies to people that deliver results. Do you have any specific rewards in mind? We could host a competition for a video and take it from there. I think, for a wiki-guide, you will need to hand out rewards to more than one person, as it is near to impossible to make a decent starting guide all by yourself.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: August 01, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »
A Let's Play video explaining how BattleMaster works would need to include a prominent real-world clock, and be recorded in multiple sessions over at least a day. Better would be two or three, so as to show a few different turn-change actions.

I know that recent versions of Mac OS X include, in Quicktime Player, native capability for recording the screen, and it will let you speak a voiceover as you're doing it. No idea what's required to do that on Windows.

I don't have time to do something like this right now, but I'd be happy to give someone pointers on how.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: August 01, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »
Make that several days, so you can show people how the game truly works. There are days that practically nothing happens in Battlemaster. It might also be best to "time" that videoclip with, say, a military campaign.

I think fraps can help people with Windows (such as myself).
Ardet nec consumitur.

Zakilevo

« Reply #78: August 01, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »
Make it look interesting if you can ;) Make a video in a realm at war not some peaceful realm somewhere where nobody talks.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #79: August 01, 2012, 06:14:44 PM »
If you want to make it perfect, everyone in the competition could record the same time period. Maybe we get the same war from a few different perspectives. Wouldn't that be incredibly cool?

As for stuff - I've not really given that too much thought. Goodies are always easy, as are free copies of the e-book. I'd love to have some more ideas, but they should be BM-related.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: August 02, 2012, 01:01:31 AM »
I think maybe two let's plays should be made - one for more long-term stuff, but also one for just the first turn itself, where I am sure a lot of players just drop the game.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: August 03, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
Well, if we are cutting off the mentors, will students been cut too?