Author Topic: Honorary/Ceremonial Titles  (Read 19741 times)

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Honorary/Ceremonial Titles
« Topic Start: February 16, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Allow the ruler to create customary titles. Although the titles will be have no game mechanics, except perhaps a little gold and prestige boost, they could have large roleplay potential. Nobles who are appointed to these titles should bear them in their messages. So for example:

King's Guardian: The title
This nobleman has been appointed as a loyal and courageous warrior to defend the king: A short description
+10 gold a week: Gold income from the ruler or realm's treasury.
A King's Guardian has been appointed for this role for life: Title's should be customizable. Ruler should be able to appoint them, or a title could be elected by the nobles in a similar manner to lordships. Also it should be possible to set a max amount of this type of title to be handed out.

I think this way battlemaster can create a "catch all" system for other types of positions we might want to customize into our realm. Perhaps there should be a maximum number of titles to create based on the size of the realm's nobles so that a realm doesn't go crazy to give every noble a personal title.

Zakilevo

Re: Honorary/Ceremonial Titles
« Reply #1: February 16, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
This sounds like CK2 thing. It would be cool to have one though.

Something like 'Prime Knight' - Given to the best and most honourable knight in the realm.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 16, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »
Everyone gets a title!

Some kind of title like that does sound interesting. But I think you'd need some big controls on it to prevent things like everyone in the realm getting a title. Titles should mean something. If everyone has one, they are seriously devalued.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: February 16, 2012, 07:14:58 PM »
limit it to 3 or 4?

best knight, richest man and holiest man?

egamma

« Reply #4: February 16, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »
limit it to 3 or 4?

Oooh! I know!

General, Judge, Banker, and Marshal!

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 16, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »
Everyone gets a title!

Some kind of title like that does sound interesting. But I think you'd need some big controls on it to prevent things like everyone in the realm getting a title. Titles should mean something. If everyone has one, they are seriously devalued.

Considering how all the player characters are supposed to be the creme de la creme, is it really that bad if there's a bit of title dilution?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 16, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
You can already do this in guilds. While I see the allure of porting that system to realms, I also think that it's nice that the feudal hierarchy is not a free for all.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 16, 2012, 08:01:42 PM »
limit it to 3 or 4?

These sound more like game achievements than medieval titles.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: February 16, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »
These sound more like game achievements than medieval titles.

Just suggestions. but I think we should just only have 'Prime Knight' :D

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 16, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »
Just suggestions. but I think we should just only have 'Prime Knight' :D

If he is such a good Knight, why not just make him a Lord or a Marshal, then?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #10: February 16, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »
I don't think people are getting what he is saying. This isn't an achievement kind of goal, this is more like an honor bestowed upon the realm. Think more along the lines of "Captain of the Royal Guard" or some such thing.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 16, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »

I think the gold thing would limit it effectively.  Make a minimum 25 gold a week stipend with the title (max could be whatever).  That way the Ruler can create as many titles as he cares to support.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 16, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
I don't think people are getting what he is saying. This isn't an achievement kind of goal, this is more like an honor bestowed upon the realm. Think more along the lines of "Captain of the Royal Guard" or some such thing.

Form an army called the Royal Guard, make him Marshal. Just saying.

I am not against the idea, but since titles are already customisable it would be very confusing to figure out what positions actually have power and which are just empty titles.

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: February 16, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
well any title will give the person a certain degree of power I think. There is power in every title. People will consider the words of someone with even an honourary title more than one without a title.

This will also give more power to the ruler I think. He is literally buying loyalty of people with gold. With the government gold distribution system gone, I think it would be good to have something to replace that.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 16, 2012, 09:59:32 PM »
Now, I like this idea, but not necessarily in its current form.

It should be heavily limited, but there should be some free-form customization with drawbacks.

THe reason that I was thinking something like this would be cool, is because I wanted to send one of my characters to another realm, and have them be able to be given an official title within the new realm such as:

Character X is "Emissary/Honored Representative of Keplerstan" while a member of the realm of Evilstan. The Evilstan ruler could give him this title, while the character would be a game mechanics member of the realm of Evilstan to keep a check on things either for peaceful diplomatic reasons, or because Keplerstan doesn't want Evilstan backstabbing them, so they send an official representative to keep a watch on things.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."