Author Topic: Honorary/Ceremonial Titles  (Read 19198 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Honorary/Ceremonial Titles
« Reply #15: February 16, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »
I'm not wholly against the idea either, however it does need some specificity and a very narrowed down range of things that can be done with it. The whole achievement theme that has been going on so far makes me want to vomit a little.

And frankly, as I sit here briefly trying to think of ways such custom titles could be used in ways that you can't already do via how titles currently work, I am strapped to think of any.

Honestly, it more comes down to the fact that if someone is really that worthy of a title, or if you really want to earn someone's loyalty that badly, just find a way to give them a title. And if you aren't really wanting to hand that person much power, yes, there are existing titles to be given out that will not give them much power.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #16: February 16, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see something like this added for the simple reason is that our former monarchs in Westmoor are called Princes or Princesses as a nod to their service, no matter what other title they have.  Yeah, they have the "Royal" flag (unless they left and came back, as was the case with Evangeline Uceek once before), but that doesn't have enough of a nod to their service, IMO.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: February 16, 2012, 11:12:15 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see something like this added for the simple reason is that our former monarchs in Westmoor are called Princes or Princesses as a nod to their service, no matter what other title they have.  Yeah, they have the "Royal" flag (unless they left and came back, as was the case with Evangeline Uceek once before), but that doesn't have enough of a nod to their service, IMO.

Ah, this would be a very good use of the idea, I think.

Not just for retired monarchs, either. The ruling Monarch could use it to denote a "chosen" successor. Whether people choose to recognize that blessing when the time comes, however, it up to them.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: February 17, 2012, 12:00:04 AM »
Suggested rules:
1. Only the current Ruler can create honorary titles.
2. Creating an honorary title costs the Ruler 10 prestige and 50 gold. Revoking the title does not give you the prestige or the money back.
3. The title becomes a property of the recipient. So if the Ruler dies/pauses/leaves, the title remains. However, the title goes away if the title holder dies/pauses/leaves.
4. Honorary titles are non-transferable.
5. Only the current Ruler can revoke honorary titles (not necessarily the same noble who granted them).
------
qui audet vincit

Zakilevo

« Reply #19: February 17, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
It shouldn't cost the ruler prestige. Why would it need to cost anything anyway? It is just a title without any real power.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #20: February 17, 2012, 02:03:30 AM »
Maybe some gold for the paperwork, but not prestige...

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: February 17, 2012, 02:20:29 AM »
Could limit the number of titles the ruler can create to his prestige. One title per every 10 or 20 prestige, say.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #22: February 17, 2012, 02:36:53 AM »
Then there should be more ways for non-warriors to get prestige.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: February 17, 2012, 02:43:50 AM »
Then there should be more ways for non-warriors to get prestige.

Why? It is a game centred around battles. Surely given that fighting battles should be the most effective way to increase prestige.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #24: February 17, 2012, 02:58:43 AM »
BattleMaster is a team-oriented browsergame merging strategy and roleplaying.
From the main page itself.  It might be called BattleMaster, but there is far more to it than simply mindlessly riding off into combat.  I dislike, intensely dislike, playing as a warrior.  I mugh prefer playing a priest.  Just as there are others who prefer playing as courtiers, traders, etc.  The game is not warrior focused, nor should it be if it's a RPG.  There are many types of battles (be it with swords, words, or cash), just as there are many types of strategy. 

BattleMaster is not solely a game about armed warfare.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: February 17, 2012, 03:19:19 AM »
From the main page itself.  It might be called BattleMaster, but there is far more to it than simply mindlessly riding off into combat.  I dislike, intensely dislike, playing as a warrior.  I mugh prefer playing a priest.  Just as there are others who prefer playing as courtiers, traders, etc.  The game is not warrior focused, nor should it be if it's a RPG.  There are many types of battles (be it with swords, words, or cash), just as there are many types of strategy. 

BattleMaster is not solely a game about armed warfare.

No its no, notice I never said it was SOLELY about warfare. I said that is the focus, or main component if you will. Thus my comment that it makes sense for battle to be the MOST effective way to gain prestige, and not some half arsed position that it be the ONLY way to gain prestige.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: February 17, 2012, 05:41:32 AM »

This gave me an idea, but it's so simple that I don't think it deserves its own thread. Perhaps the Royal condition could be a little improved:
1) If character leaves the realm and return, he remains a Royal. Why would have he lost the title?
2) The Royal epithet gets attached to any of his titles when signing letters, making him more prominent (Royal Knight, Royal Lord, Royal Duke).
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: February 17, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »
I think the gold thing would limit it effectively.  Make a minimum 25 gold a week stipend with the title (max could be whatever).  That way the Ruler can create as many titles as he cares to support.

Isn't the idea of being payed for honorary titles more something Louis XIV-ish? It would tie nobles more strongly to the (absolutist) monarch, instead of promoting the urge for personal power we see in more Medieval times.

I agree that such titles could add some flavour, but it would disrupt the game setting. How cool will it be to become Lord of Rural, compared to Royal High Commander of the Kepler Corps?

Guild titles do just fine, imho. High officials of powerful guilds will command enough respect with their title, even outside their guild setting. Ceremonial titles without any game mechanics basis seem kind of .. discouraging for those not in the realm's in-crowd, as well. Read newbies.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #28: February 17, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »
I dislike the idea of purely honorary titles.

And I don't think there really were all that many around in historic times. The "captain of the guard" still had the guard under his command, it was not an empty title.

And I want people to fight over scarce titles, because it creates conflict within realms.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: February 17, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »
What about this then: create a new, single government position with no game mechanic behind it. Having this position gives you only two things: access to the realm council as a Ruler's trusted advisor, and a cool signature.

In some realm this will be "Marshal of the Royal Bodyguards", others it will be "Prime Knight", an other one will be "Honored Representative of Keplerstan". It doesn't matter, since the position does not give access to any buttons anyway.

After all it's a roleplaying game.