Author Topic: Idea: Plate Mail  (Read 28324 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Plate Mail
« Reply #60: February 22, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »
I kind of agree.

Maybe we should simply make the cheap plate free for all player characters, and only make them pay if they want something better.

Assume and provide "default" armour level to all new characters. This level could provide the current baseline chance for wounding and wound severity. Then yeah, if people want to have better the "average" armour they can pay for it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: February 23, 2012, 05:58:20 AM »
I kind of agree.

Maybe we should simply make the cheap plate free for all player characters, and only make them pay if they want something better.

Or...And this is something I've been wanting for a while...You get one set of good (not ornate or whatever, but good) armor with your family.  When you create a character, you can choose whether they get the family heirloom armor (if not already bestowed), and if not, you get the cheap armor.  So then you have the fun of, say, wars not only being fought because Duke Fancypants lost his ornate 10K gold armor, but because Sir Awful Good the Kind's family armor was stolen by Judge Cackle and Snatch.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: February 23, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »
Hmm...and perhaps there could be some sort of list somewhere that displays all the suits of family armour that a realm or noble has that belongs to someone else. That'd be pretty cool, actually. "Those Evilstan bastards have taken the family armour of eight of our nobles! Let's get 'em back!"

Zakilevo

« Reply #63: February 23, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »
Uh. Now we have to fight over armours? Cmon we can find a better region to fight than that.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: February 23, 2012, 08:18:03 AM »
Uh. Now we have to fight over armours? Cmon we can find a better region to fight than that.

Considering how peaceful a lot of the game is...

No we can't?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: February 23, 2012, 08:23:24 AM »
No one has to. It just provides another reason to if people want. And as Slapsticks says, many realms can't find any reason to, currently.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #66: February 23, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
Or...And this is something I've been wanting for a while...You get one set of good (not ornate or whatever, but good) armor with your family.  When you create a character, you can choose whether they get the family heirloom armor (if not already bestowed), and if not, you get the cheap armor.  So then you have the fun of, say, wars not only being fought because Duke Fancypants lost his ornate 10K gold armor, but because Sir Awful Good the Kind's family armor was stolen by Judge Cackle and Snatch.

This could actually be accomplished with the unique items system. Allow players to create a family armour for lots and lots of gold.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #67: February 23, 2012, 12:19:30 PM »
This could actually be accomplished with the unique items system. Allow players to create a family armour for lots and lots of gold.

I think he's saying that one set of good armor would come from the family, but it can only be given out once, for free. Not that someone would use family gold to buy the armor.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: February 24, 2012, 05:18:12 AM »
I think he's saying that one set of good armor would come from the family, but it can only be given out once, for free. Not that someone would use family gold to buy the armor.

That was my idea, yes.  My objection to unique items is, well, decay and loss.  I'm just not interested in RPing into non-permanent items.  Tried it for a while, managed to keep one or two items around with great significance for a while, and then they just...Are gone.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: March 02, 2012, 05:47:54 PM »
I like the idea of the Armor having a small in game effect.  I would like to see this incorporated into the Unique Items.  The system is already in place and I feel the UI's could use a little tweaking.  As I understand it, UI's have already gotten a little tweaking recently for longevity.  Why not revamp the system a little bit to include armor?  Maybe having armor that can be found by advies but doesn't decay or give prestige bonuses.  So it wouldn't be a "Unique Item"  since it doesn't have a name, but it would still be an item found by an Advy.  The items could be lost or destroyed in battles or in tournaments.   Advies wouldn't need to worry about repairing the armor you could control the turnover of armor pieces by making them easier or harder to lose or destroy. 

I think if an Advy found an ornate plate helmet he could fetch a good price for such a thing.  I think it would add another fun aspect to commoners since they already find stuff to sell to nobles this would just be 1 more thing they could find.   Then, when you fight champions that don't have unique items you might find pieces of armor instead. 
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: March 02, 2012, 06:14:34 PM »
I am not sure it makes sense to have advies finding Armour that is not unique.  Would a lord really put on Armour that some peasant found?  They would instead find a famous armoury to make the armour.  You could have instead, a "Weaponsmith" (a "Sage" type of character) could roam around visiting weapon/armour smiths and nobles would be able to buy weapons/armour from them, as well as have them repaired. 
I think needing to have an item repaired would be good.  Perhaps instead of it disappearing when it drops to 0%, it could instead just stop doing anything for the character.  The character would just have it packed away until he/she found the weaponsmith again.

egamma

« Reply #71: March 02, 2012, 07:35:17 PM »
+1 Charles.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: March 04, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »

It could indeed, but I have yet to see a war be declared because of a unique item. Which makes me question the ability of this feature to do as much.

Theft would likely only grief the one that's robbed, with no one willing to commit to the risks of a war for him.

Indeed, I'd say there'd be much less of a chance of people willing to go to great lengths for something of Sir Nobody than for something of Duke Almighty.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: March 04, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »
Yeah, despite what I said before, I kinda agree. The real reason there are so few wars? Because it takes so much diplomatic wrangling to actually get a war that doesn't involve the one who started it getting gangbanged because the other rulers take exception to the war. Being a "warmonger" is a bad thing IC, whereas it's what people should be, OOC. I don't know about other islands, but on FEI you have realms that specifically throw their weight around to prevent wars from starting. Cathay did it more than once.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #74: March 04, 2012, 11:01:14 PM »
That's a different topic.

And I agree, we need more war.

Once the Doctrine conversion is complete, I have on my TODO list a revamping of the character stats (prestige, honour) to bring this back to what it originally was - including one stat important for character development that you can ONLY improve in battle - and I would exclude battles against undead and monsters from that.