Author Topic: Re: Idea: Plate Mail  (Read 45125 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Plate Mail
« Reply #150: March 04, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
Yes, that is what he is saying, that the forums are a minority. So to get a better picture of what is going on he ran some statistics on the server to see how items are being sold/maintained etc.

I quite like this

That doesn't mean much by itself. It means that the people who *do* bother with items pay that price for them, but it doesn't mean that most people would like to pay that price for them, or that those who do pay that price like how they work. Maybe they just haven't had enough experience with them yet: in my experience, it's much easier as a council member to get offered uniques, and it took me a while of dealing with them to really get tired of them. People just haven't had that experience, maybe?

The 50 gold really surprises me, though. In my experience, almost all of the offers were for 0 gold. On the other hand, people who are offered these usually have more gold then they care to deal with, making 50 gold peanuts for them.

Given time, the item limit would be reached with these permanent items though.

If items don't degrade while in the hands of an advy, people would have advy mules follow them around holding on to their items, and just take them back for important battles or whatever. If the items are only lost, well then the item limit will mean no new items are created for that island. Unless you want to clog the database storing the names and stats of 100's of items that could be found on every island but restrict it to 100 active items at a time.

So here's an idea: if an item reaches 0%, it drops and won't provide any prestige or bonuses until repaired. That way, people can't hog onto them forever and keep them at 0%. They have to get them repaired, and advies are always a risk of loss.

However, if this is implemented, I still think decay should have a cap that is much lower than what most items seem to have.

Nothing wrong with giving infils the option to steal them, either.

I understand that we don't want hoarding, but I in no way see this objective as incompatible with permanent items.

And I strongly believe it would make things more interesting.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #151: March 04, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »
That doesn't mean much by itself. [...] Maybe they just [...] in my experience, [...] maybe?

In other words: Guesswork.

The 50 gold really surprises me, though. In my experience, almost all of the offers were for 0 gold.

Maybe your experience isn't representative for everyone?

So here's an idea: if an item reaches 0%, it drops and won't provide any prestige or bonuses until repaired. That way, people can't hog onto them forever and keep them at 0%. They have to get them repaired, and advies are always a risk of loss.

I don't know how much clearer I need to make this. I've already said it multiple times.

There will be no eternal unique items.
Especially not all of them.

I don't care how often the idea gets proposed in various forms. It is not going to happen.

I understand that we don't want hoarding, but I in no way see this objective as incompatible with permanent items.

Yes, for you. I'm tired of this discussion. Anyone thinking through the entire gameplay aspects of unique items will by necessity come to the conclusion that the current method is the only way to do it, at least in principle. Details can be tweaked, but the general idea of permanent items is fundamentally flawed, and all that's necessary to understand that is to step out of the personal frame and take a look at the entire unique item lifecycle.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #152: March 05, 2012, 01:00:27 AM »
That doesn't mean much by itself. It means that the people who *do* bother with items pay that price for them, but it doesn't mean that most people would like to pay that price for them, or that those who do pay that price like how they work. Maybe they just haven't had enough experience with them yet: in my experience, it's much easier as a council member to get offered uniques, and it took me a while of dealing with them to really get tired of them. People just haven't had that experience, maybe?

The 50 gold really surprises me, though. In my experience, almost all of the offers were for 0 gold. On the other hand, people who are offered these usually have more gold then they care to deal with, making 50 gold peanuts for them.

However, if this is implemented, I still think decay should have a cap that is much lower than what most items seem to have.

Nothing wrong with giving infils the option to steal them, either.

As Tom has said, he doesn't CARE if most people don't actually bother with uniques. It is not a core part of the game, so as long as the bulk of the items available are being traded it is satisfying the design.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #153: March 05, 2012, 01:08:12 AM »
Must be a very bad design then. Not really much point in having them.

Zakilevo

« Reply #154: March 05, 2012, 03:54:06 AM »
Maybe time to close this thread? If you don't like unique items, then don't bother buying them. If you want unique items prepare to deal with some annoyances.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #155: March 05, 2012, 04:05:40 AM »
Maybe time to close this thread? If you don't like unique items, then don't bother buying them. If you want unique items prepare to deal with some annoyances.

Agreed, I think this topic has been discussed to the fullest extent that it can be, and anything more will only flare tempers.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156: March 05, 2012, 04:29:41 AM »
I agree this thread is pretty much played out. If you want to discuss something else with items, start a new thread.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #157: March 05, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »
Must be a very bad design then. Not really much point in having them.

If you want to be taken seriously, you need to work on your communications skills.

There are a lot of things in good and complex games that are not intended for all players. Only a fraction of the playerbase reaches the top-level raids in most MMOs. The majority of players will not play all the quests available in Skyrim. Many players don't bother with the romance aspect in Dragon Age.

Having features that only some players explore is what gives a game depth, because it means different people are playing the game differently. It means you can actually talk to another player and he'll have something interesting to say, because the game isn't the same for both of you. Guess why people can talk for hours about their MMOs or their Pen&Paper roleplaying games, but couldn't have a 10 minute conversation about Minesweeper if you asked them to.

There are currently 354 unique items in the hands of 232 different characters. I'm not taking this aspect of the game away from the 200 or so players who apparently enjoy it enough to bother just because you don't.

And yes, I think the thread can be locked. There's nothing productive coming anymore.