Author Topic: Re: Idea: Plate Mail  (Read 47962 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Idea: Plate Mail
« Topic Start: February 22, 2012, 10:10:01 AM »
We already have a status symbol in the game; unique items. Instead of adding another superfluous system, the focus should be on fixing that area.

Please open a new topic and tell us what you think is broken about unique items.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Idea: Plate Mail
« Reply #1: February 22, 2012, 10:21:44 AM »
Please open a new topic and tell us what you think is broken about unique items.

And yes, I do like the idea that unique items could act as armour, and should provide the same protection effects.

While I don't think unique items are broken as such, I do think they are less interesting than they could. Adding armour as unique items would increase the interest in unique items, while adding them as a new, separate mechanics would decrease it.

In a nutshell, if a separate "equipment" mechanic is added, then unique items only become equipment without actual bonuses.

I also think that if  unique items gives real protection, then you will see the price of unique items rise significantly compared to now.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 22, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
No, unique items are just annoying. Having to repair them all the time, the difficulty for adventurers of finding sages with the new sage code and the fact that you can lose unique items completely randomly in battle just makes them too annoying. I'd happily get rid of them entirely and replace it with an equipment system.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 22, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »
No, unique items are just annoying. Having to repair them all the time, the difficulty for adventurers of finding sages with the new sage code and the fact that you can lose unique items completely randomly in battle just makes them too annoying. I'd happily get rid of them entirely and replace it with an equipment system.

What would advies do then?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 22, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »
What would advies do then?

What most do now that the Sage system makes repairing such a pain. Hunt undead and monsters.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 22, 2012, 11:14:03 AM »
What most do now that the Sage system makes repairing such a pain. Hunt undead and monsters.

And then what? I don't know that there is any way to gain recommendations other than by selling unique items.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 22, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »
And then what? I don't know that there is any way to gain recommendations other than by selling unique items.

It would stand to reason that if unique items were gotten rid of a new system for recommendations would  be needed.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 22, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »
Have it so if you kill a certain number of groups of monsters/undead in a region, the region lord gets the option to give the advy a recommendation. But I'm getting a bit off topic here.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: February 22, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »

Then it was a good change, because that *is* supposed to be the main part of the game, not playing repair crew.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: February 22, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
It would stand to reason that if unique items were gotten rid of a new system for recommendations would  be needed.

Not at all. You would just get them for finding new items more than for repairing old ones.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 22, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »
Not at all. You would just get them for finding new items more than for repairing old ones.

That would be if unique items were kept as a system, and only repairing was overhauled (or removed). I wouldn't mind that, I only ever hunted anyway.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 22, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »
Then it was a good change, because that *is* supposed to be the main part of the game, not playing repair crew.

It's not good if far fewer people bother with unique items because they know they won't be able to get them repaired. My Dwilight advy doesn't bother accepting repair requests anymore, because I know I won't be able to find a sage in time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: February 22, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »
It's not good if far fewer people bother with unique items because they know they won't be able to get them repaired.

Seriously? The fact you could lose it makes you lose interest?

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 22, 2012, 01:51:43 PM »
Honestly? Yes. If I buy an expensive unique item, do a nice little RP to explain how my noble "found" it, watch its prestige go up in battle, do more RPs where I mention carrying the item and go out of my way to make sure it's repaired regularly, only to lose it in a way that's completely unavoidable, like being wounded, then yes. It makes me not want to bother with unique items.

Increasing the difficulty of getting them repaired and so making them even harder to hold onto has just made that even worse.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 22, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
I would also have to agree with the above statement.  I'm just not going to put much of any effort into acquiring, or get very attached to, things that are reasonably easy to loose and require somewhat frequent repair that isn't terribly reliable.

If it were almost impossible to lose unique items and easy to repair them (and rarer to need to do so), I would certainly have a much greater interest in acquiring them, and actually give advies quests to find me neat ones, and write RPs about the ones I do own, instead of just sometimes buying them if an advie comes to me with one, and then pretty much ignoring it (and maybe caring enough to get it repaired).

In regards to the original armor idea, while I think perhaps I'd prefer to see more done with unique items first, I generally like it.  Mostly because I can spend that money, and wouldn't mind showing it off (and getting wounded less).  Though it's a shame that my character who could spend 10k gold (yes, I have a character with over 10k gold on them) on such a thing is a priest and would find it somewhat useless . . . something for non-warriors might be nice, too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:09:07 PM by BardicNerd »