Author Topic: Reworking Family Gold  (Read 24488 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Reworking Family Gold
« Topic Start: March 01, 2012, 10:20:39 AM »
I'm thinking about reworking the way that family gold works slightly.

My idea is to prevent some of the abuses and make the whole thing more transparent and easier.

The basic idea is that family gold should act more like a personal bank, with some limits. Instead of the current random events, families would:
  • not automatically generate any gold anymore
  • allow you to deposit and withdraw gold at will
  • but keep a record of your balance and there would be a withdraw limit for every character (much like guilds)

I am also thinking about doing away with the "family home" and considering every estate a family home, and yes that would mean we would have "homeless" families - an incentive for people to get estates, at least one.

Basically, the whole way families work. I'd like to do more with them, make the family more important.

Gustav Kuriga

Re: Reworking Family Gold
« Reply #1: March 01, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »
sounds good.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #2: March 01, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »
Mmm.  While I understand getting rid of the "family home", I do think we should have ties to the lands of our ancestors somehow.  I like seeing whose family is from what region.  I'm actually trying to get a temple built in a specific region solely because someone who was important to the development of the faith was from there.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 01, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »
I never cared very much for the concept of family home anyway. I think centering on the estates is a good idea.

allow you to deposit and withdraw gold at will

There should of course be limits to this, otherwise characters will just park all their money into the family instead of in bonds. One limit may be that you can only use the family when you are in the region of your estate?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 01, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »
What would be the point of family gold, though? What will that change actually add? Sounds like people would just dump gold into it to avoid paying taxes and let their poor characters draw gold from it.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 01, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »
What would be the point of family gold, though? What will that change actually add? Sounds like people would just dump gold into it to avoid paying taxes and let their poor characters draw gold from it.

In the new tax system there are only taxes on income, there is no fortune tax anymore.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 01, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »
family home does bring with it the ability to screw someone else's realm.. (you plonk a home there and cause trouble with family gold)

good or bad... would it be reimplemented in some other form? (maybe character goes to a region and plonk down gold... sort of investment but negative side.. effect takes place 1 week later?)
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 01, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »
Mmm.  While I understand getting rid of the "family home", I do think we should have ties to the lands of our ancestors somehow.  I like seeing whose family is from what region.  I'm actually trying to get a temple built in a specific region solely because someone who was important to the development of the faith was from there.

Problem here is that the family home is often irrelevant to the family. Take my family for instance. My family home is on the colonies, I graced the realm of my first character for all of 3 hours before deleting the character and creating a viking. As the only input you have about your family home is a random region in the first realm you join, which lets face it for new players is mostly just a random choice, family homes have much less impact then they could.

Sure you can move family homes with a Hero, but that very feature undoes the "history" aspect anyway.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 01, 2012, 12:23:25 PM »
That's the case for some, maybe most, but not all. My family home is in Arcaea, where my first character was, still is, and likely will be for a long time. I'd like to keep it.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #9: March 01, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
Problem here is that the family home is often irrelevant to the family. Take my family for instance. My family home is on the colonies, I graced the realm of my first character for all of 3 hours before deleting the character and creating a viking. As the only input you have about your family home is a random region in the first realm you join, which lets face it for new players is mostly just a random choice, family homes have much less impact then they could.

Sure you can move family homes with a Hero, but that very feature undoes the "history" aspect anyway.
And I've known a few that go out of their way to become lords of their home region and maintain close ties to it, including myself.  Guess it depends how much of a RPer someone really is.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 01, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »
I must admit to be attached to my family home and would be sad to see that part go. My characters care for Eaglin, the Duchy of their home. Nonetheless, I think BM has undergone various good changes, even if that sometimes means letting go of something nice to make the overall thing better. I would be sad about it, but it's certainly not a 'dealbreaker' so to say. If families become a bit more and a bit more visible, that would be nice.

egamma

« Reply #11: March 01, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
I like the family gold idea, not sure about the family home.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 01, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »
I do not recall my family randomly gaining gold since the first few weeks, so that part I will not miss.  I think that people who get lucky enough to have a family home in a city/town/stronghold in the realm they are still part of, will miss their family homes.  Otherwise, I almost never had an excuse to head back to Rollbar (Sirion) even when I had a character who was lord of the region.  I would like to see the ability to set a specific character's estate as the main family center, ie where the head of the house lives, and have a few more features there (not sure what though)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 01, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »
they "regain" them when sub 2k i think - up to the threshold of 2k.
firefox

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 02, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »
I never saw a use to the family gold. If you make an investiment, 99% of chance to receive less then you spent. Perhaps a change in the family conception could be good. Giving the ability to move the house not to every hero of the family, but only to one (the lead, patriarch/matriarch), and allowing you to buy things with the gamily gold instead of secondary spend or support (a time ago someone suggested the creation of heirlooms, some items a family turned as their and passed through the characters. this is a good way to think)