Author Topic: The Crusade against SA  (Read 173623 times)

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Crusade against SA
« Reply #60: March 18, 2011, 07:45:20 PM »
:'(

The first martyr of the war has fallen...

I noticed that, and honestly I think that is a bad thing for non-SA realms. Rowan was a very sensible leader and given the current war I think fanaticism could win the next election.

Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: March 18, 2011, 07:51:05 PM »
Crazy attacking numbers for a three region realm...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: March 18, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »
I noticed that, and honestly I think that is a bad thing for non-SA realms. Rowan was a very sensible leader and given the current war I think fanaticism could win the next election.

My thought exactly.

Though I will say I am beyond impressed with Averoth. A three-region, zero-city realm just beat a huge empire in an open field contest. One of the better shows I've seen in a long time.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: March 18, 2011, 07:57:03 PM »
One down!  ;D Tons to go! Gonna be a crazy brutal war at this point. So much hatred going around
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #64: March 18, 2011, 08:04:42 PM »
One down!  ;D Tons to go! Gonna be a crazy brutal war at this point. So much hatred going around

I'm pretty sure that Astrum will be freed up from it's northern front pretty soon. :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: March 18, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Though I will say I am beyond impressed with Averoth. A three-region, zero-city realm just beat a huge empire in an open field contest. One of the better shows I've seen in a long time.

It was a tough battle. The Averoth units were very small, most only around 20 men, or even less. But they had 39 units show up for battle. Toward the end of the battle there were a lot of <10 men unit running around. The hits from the attackers were getting very spread out, not concentrating enough to do significant damage

Even more impressive, though is the movement style Averoth has adopted. The vast majority of those 39 units were stationary until <2 hours before the turn. Then they just piled it on. It's going to be a tough fight against a realm that can pull a 37-unit late-turn move, on a regular basis.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: March 18, 2011, 08:09:52 PM »

Without a doubt. Rowan was by far the leading voice of moderation in the Church. A number of the long time Elders are also moderate in their outlook including the current Regent, but they don't have the sway that Rowan did. With his death it is quite likely that the Church will be whipped up into a frenzy.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: March 18, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »
Without a doubt. Rowan was by far the leading voice of moderation in the Church. A number of the long time Elders are also moderate in their outlook including the current Regent, but they don't have the sway that Rowan did. With his death it is quite likely that the Church will be whipped up into a frenzy.

I kind of hope that happens. I'd love to see some really crazy wars go on.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: March 18, 2011, 08:33:56 PM »
I kind of hope that happens. I'd love to see some really crazy wars go on.

Even if that doesn't happen we are in for a crazy war.

Has Rowan's player created a new character in Astrum yet?
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

Zakilevo

« Reply #69: March 18, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »
Just wow.. When I saw Rowan left the church I was like wtf. Then reading the battle report made me swore. This is getting more interesting.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: March 18, 2011, 08:58:46 PM »
Has Rowan's player created a new character in Astrum yet?

I have not. There is a bug that is preventing me from reading any messages while dead (it gives me the wounded message), and personally I would very much like to see the response to Rowan's death. Though now that I think about it, if the game automatically removed me from the Church so that I can't see messages there anymore, I'll probably miss out on most of the good stuff... Maybe I'd be better off just burying him and starting a new character ASAP.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: March 18, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »
Did you ever RP Rowan as having a wife/child in Astrum?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: March 18, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »
Did you ever RP Rowan as having a wife/child in Astrum?

I did not, as I do not often write RPs about my characters unless I have someone else to RP with, but nonetheless that is probably the back story I will use for a new character.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: March 18, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »

And because of this, SA will only get a bad rep. There's already a lot of bad propaganda going around for SA already...

I did not, as I do not often write RPs about my characters unless I have someone else to RP with, but nonetheless that is probably the back story I will use for a new character.

It's fun to come back with a different to Dwilight and has a background there. Channing's history wasn't all too well. He got screwed up with the maddening star then went onto betray Norland, then get backstabbed by BoM in the process. It was like karma got back at him haha! Hyperion is a lot more fun to play as I've learned a lot since then
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:49:20 PM by DoctorHarte »
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Maxim

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: March 18, 2011, 11:00:03 PM »
I’m going to make some sweeping comment having just skimmed the discussion here. I’ve mostly stayed away from the Forums for precisely the reason I think it detracts from the game, encourages a lot more OOC chatter than will go on to influence IC more than it should, and just generally seems like an unnecessary addition. Reading some of the posts it does indeed seem like this is all just going to become ‘The Game Behind “The Game”’, but nonetheless, I’m not really here for the bickering, just to make a few responses.

The main point about this War is that literally any realm that isn’t Astroist is auto-excluded on Dwilight, atleast in the North. You have a choice to join the religion, as we did when we kicked the Torenism out of Averoth, or create an alternative that will most likely fly in the face of Astroism, or be used as a means of targeting your realm. Caerwyn has managed through this because its so big, other realms have ‘secular beliefs’, which I just think is messy and too wishy-washy. Instead of any religion, Averoth has put the most focus on intra-realm-RP and ‘culture’ development, the ideology of ‘The Freestate’, of a benevolent tyranny, of social-consent, and a realm lore that basically says “Whoever wins the Rebellion for the Rulership – deserves to be the Ruler”, all backed by Sextus’ twisted and obscure character traits. It’s a very complex mix, something I will at some point try to clarify on the wiki. (I’ve tried countless times, the enormity of it just ends up drowning me, and I haven’t had much time recently.This isn’t really the place for all that.)

My main point is that SA is too much of an oppressive force unless you want to be part of it, because choice-wise it has so much power and strangle-hold on the continent and there’s not much in the way to avoid it without bowing to it, which is boring. That’s basically how The League Of Free-Nations sees it, but more for the IC actions of SA as reason for the War.

As it stands, Averoth can’t do anything else but fight Astrum and SA, one; for the massively crippling ‘Too Much Peace’ rule, (Something I intend to offer an amendment to as a Game Dev suggestion at some point), two; for massive boredom and three; because quite frankly, to quote a bit of Fight Club, “self-destruction is the answer.” There is no-where to expand, nothing else to do. At this stage Averoth might as well stop existing because we’ve finished fighting the monsters and building the realm up from a single region of 400 starving peasants. It is essentially ‘game-over’ stagnation, in terms of what the realm can actually do. The RP and ‘realm culture’ is there, the IC options are not. I’ve made a point of running a tournament, as a bit of tradition, every 100 days since Sextus took over even when its been financially crippling, and we’ve had our internal realm fun too. But even that for all its IC worth is superficial.

Dwilight basically equals = Pick a Big Realm, Pick SA, OR, Pick a small realm, pick the losing side. It’s conformity or conflict, because SA is everywhere.

Sextus chose the latter, and I make a point of trying to go for the smaller realms, or those in the big uncertain fights. I am running the realm with the most of the worst base-stat regions on Dwilight afterall.

So yes, me and my friends and realm mates have thrown it all in as a chance to make one of those great BM moments, for the enormity of the conflict, and hopefully for the fantastic RP it will bring. SA might be convenient or interesting for those within it, but it’s a game-killer for many of those outside of it. Its like one realm controlling half the continent. We’ll either change it, or we’ll lose Dwilight. The odds are massively against us and we know it, but that’s half the fun.

It seems everything is already off to an epic start though, thanks to Rowan being all heroic ;) Just remember though; in this fight The League are the good guys, you’re the evil crusading religious fanatics ^^
----
Rowan, I’ll PM you the quick RP I did, since you won’t have got it I don’t think(?)
"Who are you .. and are you relevant?"