Author Topic: The Crusade against SA  (Read 181770 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: The Crusade against SA
« Reply #525: August 29, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
Well, I thought so. I figured you would have lots of monsters on your southern border. I know Astrum is constantly battling hordes of invading monsters on our northern and western borders.

It's not nearly as bad as it once was.

Then again, I'm not doing the grunt work anymore. It makes things look easier.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #526: August 29, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
Well, I thought so. I figured you would have lots of monsters on your southern border. I know Astrum is constantly battling hordes of invading monsters on our northern and western borders.

It varies a lot. Sometimes we're attacked regularly, sometimes no one shows up and we're hit by too much peace quite hard before we can organize an expedition deep into the area around Unterstrom to find monsters to battle. We have a lot of adventurers maybe that explains it, but organizing pointless expeditions just to avoid too much peace sounds a bit stupid sometimes.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #527: August 29, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »
Luria Nova is having that sorts of expeditions atm. I literally had to sacrifice half of one army in order to stop the TMP destroying the realms regions. it is annoying I guess, especially since there isn't a single monster to be found in all of Forland  :p
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #528: August 29, 2011, 04:33:29 PM »
Luria Nova is having that sorts of expeditions atm. I literally had to sacrifice half of one army in order to stop the TMP destroying the realms regions. it is annoying I guess, especially since there isn't a single monster to be found in all of Forland  :p

As far as I understood, too much peace does not hurt regions anymore. What drops are acceptable tax rates, units and militia training and the amount of recruits/draft you have available in your regions.

While maybe it's not so devastating, it is kinda annoying to read that your realm is bored. Especially when it's right :p

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #529: August 29, 2011, 04:40:58 PM »
It can be quite hurtful to have taxes of 5% hurting your production and trade, even at 200% productivity and 300% authority estates.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #530: August 29, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »
Honestly, we'll never know that until someone challenges you. If you're good, you'll be able to amass some serious strength. But since you've never had to do it, then when the times comes to do it, I imagine it will take quite some time to shake off the rust.

The thing is even though we haven't actually engaged an enemy yet, we've been quick to mobilize on two occasions when we felt our military might be needed. Once at the start of the Aurvandil- Madina conflict when we felt that Aurvandil would be a good ally and once when Port Nebel was threatened by Novans.

Both times Terran was able to quickly and efficiently amass a reasonably large amount of forces where they were needed.

Not to toot my own horn but Terran's military is quite organized and her marshals are all competent and dedicated.

If Madina couldn't take care of Aurvandil by itself, I doubt it would be able to take on Barca and her allies, even with the help of Caerwyn's refugees. But then again, maybe we can all be friends  :P
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531: August 29, 2011, 08:14:25 PM »
Both times Terran was able to quickly and efficiently amass a reasonably large amount of forces where they were needed.
Mustering forces does not equal fighting a war. :) I've seen quite a few realms that thought they could kick butt, but then totally fell flat on their faces when it came time to do it against a human realm.

But really, if you can do it, then kudos.

If Madina couldn't take care of Aurvandil by itself, I doubt it would be able to take on Barca and her allies...
Madina, a threat to Terran/Barca?  You'd have to be smoking the "wacky tobaccy" to think that would ever happen. No offense to Madina, but they appear to be barely able to hold onto their own homelands.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #532: August 29, 2011, 09:30:13 PM »
Madina, a threat to Terran/Barca?  You'd have to be smoking the "wacky tobaccy" to think that would ever happen. No offense to Madina, but they appear to be barely able to hold onto their own homelands.

Hey now, that was more due to lack of nobles than anything.   We were down to 9 nobles at one point with 7 regions.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #533: August 29, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
But then again, maybe we can all be friends  :P

This.

As much fun as a rival Madinan bloc would be to the Véinsørmoot, as a player, I really, really want to see a united Maroccidens. Formally, the Véinsørmoot claims to be a body representing the whole Maroccidens and, to some degree, the Mesoccidens. Whatever realm ends up holding Candiels somewhere down the line, we'd really like to co-opt them into the Véinsørmoot: not in order to keep Madina weak, but because, really, we want a strong Maroccidens. That's the goal. The objective is that we all start to get TMP, then, to stave it off, either fight the Zuma, or go on expeditions against foreign foes.

Terran's army is pretty good. D'Hara and Terran together can assemble about 10,000-12,000 CS in a pinch for one long campaign. Whether we can reliably do it is quite unknown. Our borders are pretty defensible; the D'Haran ports are tough nuts to crack, militarily (though starvation can do it).

Ideally, for the Véinsørmoot to be effective, it needs to have sufficient soft power to avoid wars in the first place, then enough power to secure all borders defensively, and have good first-strike capabilities. Terran's armies are specifically structured towards that end: we have an army whose purpose, essentially, is to be constantly on-call to go marching off to defend someone else's land. That army is plenty to tip the balance defending a fortified position, or launch a raid in enemy back-country... but it's not big enough to contest a field against a national army, and I doubt the Véinsørmoot can sustain long-term deployments of full armies from Terran and D'Hara.

But beating a colony in Candiels wouldn't require that. All it would require is a solid defense of Paisly combined with sporadic raids down the peninsula. That sort of war I am entirely confident the Véinsørmoot could win. If the Lurian realms decided to attack us, we'd be in for a painful war. But keeping Candiels in line if we want to is certainly manageable.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #534: August 29, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »
I'm concerned about the TMP aspect really of a united south-west.

Madina was hitting distance-related morale drops, even on mercenary settings just marching into Terran lands.   It's not that many regions - but distance wise its HUGE.    ~700 miles between Madina territory and Paisly.

Besides, Barca is not making themselves a friend of the new colony in the south with all theiir "leave aurvandil alone or we'll be at your throats" talk.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #535: August 29, 2011, 11:06:19 PM »
Besides, Barca is not making themselves a friend of the new colony in the south with all theiir "leave aurvandil alone or we'll be at your throats" talk.

Barca is making threats all on its own?

ROTFL.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #537: August 30, 2011, 12:55:59 AM »
I made it pretty clear that I wouldn't look the other way when a group of foreign refugees dictates the course of a civil war.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #538: August 30, 2011, 02:35:13 AM »
I made it pretty clear that I wouldn't look the other way when a group of foreign refugees dictates the course of a civil war.

Except, that they got an influx of Caerwyn nobles as well.  So it's kinda balanced :P

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #539: August 30, 2011, 04:18:01 AM »

I think they are making it pretty clear that they think whether or not you look the other way is pretty irrelevant to them :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.