Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

The Crusade against SA

Started by Igelfeld, March 16, 2011, 01:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorHarte

Quote from: Nosferatus on March 24, 2011, 11:04:57 AM
Why go to PeL for colonization? In Madina, a citizens right to colonize is written in the very constitution! all you need is your liege consensus. ;)

Very interesting! I'll that in mind when or if the time comes. Though the reason I would choose PeL is because they are closer to Shinnen and Swallowwown.. perhaps even Balance's Retreat while Madina is quite far away from it all.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

De-Legro

Quote from: DoctorHarte on March 24, 2011, 11:11:13 AM
Very interesting! I'll that in mind when or if the time comes. Though the reason I would choose PeL is because they are closer to Shinnen and Swallowwown.. perhaps even Balance's Retreat while Madina is quite far away from it all.

PeL are already preparing to launch a colony. I doubt they would have the resources to do so again anytime soon unless you can bring a big influx of nobles with you. Also those areas, are absolutely crawling with rogue. It would certainly be difficult to establish there.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Nosferatus

Quote from: De-Legro on March 24, 2011, 11:49:22 AM
PeL are already preparing to launch a colony. I doubt they would have the resources to do so again anytime soon unless you can bring a big influx of nobles with you. Also those areas, are absolutely crawling with rogue. It would certainly be difficult to establish there.

;) I didn't say Madina would do anything as a nation to support such a colony atempt....
As we have seen before, a colony can only surivive with lots of funds and constant  military support from atleast one realm for the first month or so.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Anaris

Quote from: Nosferatus on March 24, 2011, 02:55:02 PM
;) I didn't say Madina would do anything as a nation to support such a colony atempt....
As we have seen before, a colony can only surivive with lots of funds and constant  military support from atleast one realm for the first month or so.

Pian en Luries, on the other hand, would be happy to help you establish a colony, and support it with its full force, provided you can a) supply enough nobles to populate it without depopulating Pian, and b) swear allegiance to Pian en Luries as a member of the Lurian Empire  ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Glaumring the Fox

Quote from: Nosferatus on March 24, 2011, 02:55:02 PM

Bah, the original Thulsoma was founded by a mere two men, with 200 gold, and barely enough men for a takeover and surrounded by hordes of monsters and survived until we chose to abandon the nation months later, stronger and more powerful than any other nation in the extreme north. The nations and men of other nations are soft, their nobles pampered by entitlement... Real men, take up sword and found kingdoms through brute personality alone.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

Quote from: Glaumring on March 24, 2011, 03:18:45 PMBah, the original Thulsoma was founded by a mere two men, with 200 gold, and barely enough men for a takeover and surrounded by hordes of monsters...

And eventually failed because it was overrun by monsters.

Yes, anyone with enough men under their command *can* start a colony. To be a successful long-term colony these days takes a lot of support. It was a lot different back in the days when realms like Caerwyn and Astrum were founded. Nobles were more abundant because there were less realms to choose from. The monsters hadn't quite hit the raging hordes they are now. (Although they did occasionally spike to even worse levels in the intervening years, to the point where Tom had to manually reduce them and adjust spawning.)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Nosferatus

Quote from: Glaumring on March 24, 2011, 03:18:45 PM

Bah, the original Thulsoma was founded by a mere two men, with 200 gold, and barely enough men for a takeover and surrounded by hordes of monsters and survived until we chose to abandon the nation months later, stronger and more powerful than any other nation in the extreme north. The nations and men of other nations are soft, their nobles pampered by entitlement... Real men, take up sword and found kingdoms through brute personality alone.
Aye! Just like Madina is founded!

Unfortunately one man's brute personality is not enough against hundreds of teeth and claws...
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Glaumring the Fox

Aye, they also need impeccable good looks. 8)

Vellos

Quote from: Glaumring on March 24, 2011, 03:39:45 PM
Aye, they also need impeccable good looks. 8)

Your character runs around half-naked in a bear pelt.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

Its actually fake bear fur... I am a softy at heart.

DoctorHarte

New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Various Esotericus

hehehe
Varchilde really respects Glaumring on many levels, including his ability to live inside that damned bearskin without being eaten alive by fleas!
Seriously, this war is a new and excellent piece of entertainment, regardless of any possible 'power gaming' attitudes that may have been worked into it.

Imagine Varchilde's surprise, however, when she abdicates her position as one of the three Lights of the Church and gives up her priestly robes in order to command a military unit (for the first time in game-years) and help with the revival of an old and fallen colony in the west- only to find that the realm she has joined to make that colony has been surprise attacked by their closest trading partners and neighbors while she was en route! And this was only the prelude to all-out war being called against all realms by the majority of the Southlanders!
And, as if more excitement was needed, she had barely gotten to the far side of Morek when one of the Duchesses there called a rebellion and seceded her Duchy away from the realm, causing some SERIOUS discussion about 'loyalties' and Honor, I can tell you all.

Var had to walk away from her realm as it was being torn apart and walk into a new one while IT was, in turn, being ripped to shreds by a combination of surprise attacks from two neighbors and hordes of monsters invading from the West.
An interesting start to her new life in Astrum, for sure.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. ~Heinlein (Paraphrase)

dustole

I can't wait for the Baal/Allison confrontation.   

Caerwyn has been out-maneuvered politically.  Now all we have to do is follow through and crush them militarily.   

When this is all over and SA colonizes Golden Farrow,  we will be the unquestioned masters of Dwilight. 
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

DoctorHarte

Quote from: dustole on March 26, 2011, 08:09:13 PM
I can't wait for the Baal/Allison confrontation.   

Caerwyn has been out-maneuvered politically.  Now all we have to do is follow through and crush them militarily.   

When this is all over and SA colonizes Golden Farrow,  we will be the unquestioned masters of Dwilight.

How did Caerwyn get out-maneuvered politically? I'm pretty sure majority of the realms of Dwilight are on our side and the only ones who aren't were the realms we declared war on  ::)

Darksun

Quote from: DoctorHarte on March 26, 2011, 09:23:31 PM
How did Caerwyn get out-maneuvered politically? I'm pretty sure majority of the realms of Dwilight are on our side and the only ones who aren't were the realms we declared war on  ::)

Because they were effectively goaded into a war against the largest powers on Dwilight and will end up losing their entire realm over it.

All those other realms? Words only go so far.