Author Topic: The Crusade against SA  (Read 175988 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: The Crusade against SA
« Reply #165: May 10, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »
Why did Averoth have so much cavalry?

That seems like a very foolish choice for defending a fortress.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #166: May 10, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »
Why did Averoth have so much cavalry?

That seems like a very foolish choice for defending a fortress.

Perhaps they needed something for a fast getaway?
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #167: May 10, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
All I know is, my men had fun (at least the ones who didn't die...).

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #168: May 10, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »
Perhaps they needed something for a fast getaway?

Nice.

They don't have good infantry centers - they DO have an exceedingly nasty cavalry center though - 95/60. Their infantry on the other hand are 55/55 and 55/70. I have no idea what size those centers are, but for punch they needed cavalry. Also, keep in mind that the Averothian army was built for campaigning in the field. They *did* need more infantry, certainly, but I assume they had the biggest army they could afford. Disbanding existing powerful cavalry units to replace them with infantry doesn't seem like a good use of limited resources. Besides, the cavalry charge did push us off the walls for one turn.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #169: May 11, 2011, 02:35:37 AM »
Bah.... LE didn't show up at the battle. :(

We were just having too much fun on Mother's Day.

I spent mine at the Emergency Department of my local hospital with a screaming 2 year old. :(

She sounded a lot like those defeated Averothians.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #170: May 11, 2011, 02:52:22 AM »
She sounded a lot like those defeated Averothians.

HAHA  nice!
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #171: May 11, 2011, 02:56:05 AM »
Ah, I guess Averothians have healthy lungs then. The northern air can be quite refreshing I guess.

So let me revise: Averoth shouldn't have gotten themselves in a 5 on 1 war.

And I have noticed that Haruka Vanimedle' (The apostrophe at the end is not a typo! It's a...Klingon name or something?) is no longer on Dwilight. Why haven't I heard a "Good riddance" from people in LE or something?

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #172: May 11, 2011, 03:54:53 AM »
I didn't even realize she was gone.   After Thulsoma was destroyed I quit paying any attention to her.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #173: May 11, 2011, 04:16:35 AM »
Ah, I guess Averothians have healthy lungs then. The northern air can be quite refreshing I guess.

So let me revise: Averoth shouldn't have gotten themselves in a 5 on 1 war.

And I have noticed that Haruka Vanimedle' (The apostrophe at the end is not a typo! It's a...Klingon name or something?) is no longer on Dwilight. Why haven't I heard a "Good riddance" from people in LE or something?

He uses the ' because one of his previous families was Vanimedle, so I believe he can't reuse that name.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #174: May 11, 2011, 04:19:58 AM »
If anyone is interested, this is the battle report of Valkyrja.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Siege_of_Valkyrja

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #175: May 11, 2011, 09:59:37 AM »

I think the character is paused.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176: May 11, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »
They don't have good infantry centers - they DO have an exceedingly nasty cavalry center though - 95/60. Their infantry on the other hand are 55/55 and 55/70. I have no idea what size those centers are, but for punch they needed cavalry.

Well, here are some of them"

Quote from: Today's full turn messages
Recruitment Center breaking down   (7 hours, 38 minutes ago)
The Infantry recruitment center for "Cordon-D'Anerville's HonourGuard" in Valkyrja is suffering from a lack of maintenance and parts of it have fallen into disrepair. Its effective size has dropped to 2.

The Mixed Infantry recruitment center for "Valkyrja'n Guards" in Valkyrja has broken down due to lack of maintenance and repairs.

The Cavalry recruitment center for "Valkyrja'n Hussars" in Valkyrja is suffering from a lack of maintenance and parts of it have fallen into disrepair. Its effective size has dropped to 1.

The Infantry recruitment center for "Valkyrja'n Line Infantry" in Valkyrja has broken down due to lack of maintenance and repairs.

That leaves them one middle-of-the-road infantry center, one cruddy MI (high training, low weapons], and two nice cavalry centers.

Also, keep in mind that the Averothian army was built for campaigning in the field. They *did* need more infantry, certainly, but I assume they had the biggest army they could afford. Disbanding existing powerful cavalry units to replace them with infantry doesn't seem like a good use of limited resources. Besides, the cavalry charge did push us off the walls for one turn.

I can attest to the fact that the Averothian army was devastating in the field. Lots of nobles with smallish units, extremely high cohesion and reliability. A dangerous enemy in the military sense.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #177: May 11, 2011, 09:09:58 PM »
More broadly, I think this spells the beginning of the end for the anti-SA alliance. Astrum did indeed have a very difficult time sustaining a three-front war (monsters included), as predicted by some. However, Astrum's enemies did not exploit this to the necessary extent to permanently swing the momentum of the war, and now it looks like things are about to swing decisively the other way.

Talk about 'waking the giant'.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #178: May 12, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »
If I was an Averothian, I would join Caerwyn and continue my vendetta against the stars. Imagine if everyone would do that. Makes Caerwyn a lot stronger, while Corsanctum and Morek have long travel times to reach the front lines of Caerwyn. Interesting..  ;)
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #179: May 12, 2011, 12:44:02 AM »
If I was an Averothian, I would join Caerwyn and continue my vendetta against the stars. Imagine if everyone would do that. Makes Caerwyn a lot stronger, while Corsanctum and Morek have long travel times to reach the front lines of Caerwyn. Interesting..  ;)

it sure is, i think the most exciting war of 'modern bm'! :P
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog