Author Topic: SF RC cap  (Read 29158 times)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: SF RC cap
« Reply #60: March 08, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »
Enlarging the SF RC in my region to level 4 costs 3180 gold. Level 3 cost 1130 gold.

EDIT: the reason why I increased it to level 3 was not so that it could fill up to 100, it was so the recruitment rate would increase. I never expected it to fill up completely and it seldom has, and the only reason why it has is because my realm hasn't had a real defeat in a year or so.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:01:37 PM by Lorgan »

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: March 08, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »
The problem is low rates is that the rates used to be so low that rural regions and sometimes even townslands have problems generating recruits for SF centers. I don't mind the reduced maximum as long as the recruitment rates are higher. There is no reason that Calvary and SF can't have the same max cap being half of the regular centers.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: March 08, 2012, 02:07:19 PM »
I'm trying to have things simple, which is one of the regions the original caps were 50% and 25% - halving is a mathematical operation most of us can do without thinking too much. And halving it for cavalry had some IC logic - you need to store two creatures: The soldier and his horse.

But it's still an additional complication, at a time when we are explicitly and avowedly trying to make things simpler.

I still shudder at the thought of someone having 200 (in a level 4 RC) SF available at once. That's a massive amount of something that should be somewhat rare. 100 is still lots, 150 (my 75% proposal) is massive.

As others have said, that would be a very, very rare occurrence.

There are almost no level 4 RCs of any type, and I think that few realms would raise an SF center beyond level 2 because they take so damn long to fill up already, they would effectively never get full.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: March 08, 2012, 02:08:04 PM »
The problem is low rates is that the rates used to be so low that rural regions and sometimes even townslands have problems generating recruits for SF centers. I don't mind the reduced maximum as long as the recruitment rates are higher. There is no reason that Calvary and SF can't have the same max cap being half of the regular centers.

There's also no reason that we can't have a faster rate at the low end (so that it can be pretty near guaranteed to fill up to 5 within a few days) and then slowing down as it fills up.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: March 08, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
draft bypasses all that. though drafting sf in lvl 2/3 in my townsland usually was crap.. single digits..

probably not true for cities though..

We can easily restrict drafts of SF centers, making them little more effective than an extra day or two of normal recruitment.
Timothy Collett

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: March 08, 2012, 02:55:55 PM »
For mathematical purposes fifths is even easier.  25/2 is not an integer. 4/5 for the Cavalry and 3/5 for SF is 20 and 15 respectively.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #66: March 08, 2012, 11:35:15 PM »
How long does it take to reach that level? At 3 recruits per day,

Larger centers also recruit faster.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #67: March 08, 2012, 11:40:02 PM »
There are almost no level 4 RCs of any type, and I think that few realms would raise an SF center beyond level 2 because they take so damn long to fill up already, they would effectively never get full.

14 level 4 RCs on EI, 2 of them SF
17 level 4 RCs on Atamara, no SF
16 level 4 RCs on Belua, 2 SF
and so on

Many of those centers are filled to capacity, except on BT.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #68: March 08, 2012, 11:41:59 PM »
There's also no reason that we can't have a faster rate at the low end (so that it can be pretty near guaranteed to fill up to 5 within a few days) and then slowing down as it fills up.

I like that idea quite a lot.

For mathematical purposes fifths is even easier.  25/2 is not an integer. 4/5 for the Cavalry and 3/5 for SF is 20 and 15 respectively.

Agreed on that as well.

So, how about these changes:
  • max capacity for Cavalry: 4/5th, for SF: 3/5th
  • +50% recruitment rate for centers filled less than 10% of max capacity
  • +25% recruitment rate for centers filled less than 20% of max capacity

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: March 08, 2012, 11:51:27 PM »
14 level 4 RCs on EI, 2 of them SF
17 level 4 RCs on Atamara, no SF
16 level 4 RCs on Belua, 2 SF
and so on

Many of those centers are filled to capacity, except on BT.

So..2-3% of recruitment centers on each island is level 4 and out of those SF accounts for..pretty much nothing. Really, this is just adding something to the game to fix something that isn't a problem to begin with.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #70: March 08, 2012, 11:52:41 PM »

I'd suggest filled less than 20% and 40% respectively.  It's easier on the rounding.

So when the capacity is 15 for SF, it fills at 50% below 3 and 25% below 6.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: March 09, 2012, 01:09:03 AM »
I like this.  But agree with Foundation that it should be 20% and 40% (or 1/5 and 2/5) of capacity you could also drop it by similar amounts when it reaches 3/5 and 4/5.  That may make it too complicated. 

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #72: March 09, 2012, 01:28:49 AM »
I like this.  But agree with Foundation that it should be 20% and 40% (or 1/5 and 2/5) of capacity you could also drop it by similar amounts when it reaches 3/5 and 4/5.  That may make it too complicated.

Excellent idea, it is symmetric in that case and accomplish what Tim suggested.

• Max capacity for Cavalry: 4/5th, SF: 3/5th of a normal RC
  • +50% recruitment rate for centers 0-20% of max capacity
  • +25% recruitment rate for centers 20-40% of max capacity
  • normal recruitment rate for centers 40-60% of max capacity
  • -25% recruitment rate for centers 60-80% of max capacity
  • -50% recruitment rate for centers 80-100% of max capacity
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:31:20 AM by Foundation »
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #73: March 09, 2012, 11:08:22 AM »
I'd suggest filled less than 20% and 40% respectively.  It's easier on the rounding.

So when the capacity is 15 for SF, it fills at 50% below 3 and 25% below 6.

Since it's not a player-facing value, rounding nicely isn't an issue. And I want to prevent people gaming the system too easily.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #74: March 09, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »
I'm not really a friend of the "soft cap", because we already have to play tricks in the code to make sure that some RCs recruit anything at all, because otherwise they would tend to recruit extremely slowly. This would only make it worse.