Author Topic: Way harder then this ought to be  (Read 19339 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Way harder then this ought to be
« Topic Start: March 07, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »
So here's the deal. Iashalur just took over Darfix, our second city. I wanted to declare it a new duchy with myself as duke, which shouldn't be to hard considering I'm King of the Realm.

I stepped down from my region and estate and took up control of Darfix. I didn't step down as Duke of Gaston and discovered I couldn't establish Darfix as a new duchy. I tried to step down as Duke and it wouldn't let me because I was also ruler and had estates and a region.

I didn't want to give up all my titles again then form the duchy, then restore them all so I tried making a nearby towns-land its own duchy, but the current lord was automatically made duke.

I'm pretty sure the main problem here stems from the fact that you can't establish a duchy in a region that doesn't already have a lord. Can this be changed so you can have a duchy with out a duke just like you can have a region without a lord? Or maybe just bring back the ability for a region lord of a city or towns-land to "declare a new duchy" It would make it much easier to form new duchies.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:03:38 PM by pcw27 »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Way harder then this ought to be
« Reply #1: March 07, 2012, 08:01:25 PM »
If you want to step down as Duke, and you're also Ruler, you first need to step down as Lord.

You can't have any gaps in the chain of your own authority, basically. So:

Ruler
Duke
Lord
Knight (having an estate)

If you are more than one of these, they must all be adjacent in the list.

I don't disagree with the point about Duchyless Dukes, though.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 07, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
As I proposed, since you're the Duke of Gaston, rename the Duchy of Gaston to Niselur and create a new Duchy in Gaston once it has a Lord. Won't that work?

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 07, 2012, 08:04:23 PM »
I guess that would have worked, too late now.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 07, 2012, 08:06:35 PM »
And also that's not an option. It wont let me declare a duchy based in a region that's already the main region of a duchy.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 07, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
So here's the deal. Iashalur just took over Darfix, our second city. I wanted to declare it a new duchy with myself as duke, which shouldn't be to hard considering I'm King of the Realm.
Completely unnecessary. You're already a duke. You don't need to demote yourself to non-duke, only to redeclare yourself a duke.

I tried making a nearby towns-land its own duchy, but the current lord was automatically made duke.
The game specifically tells you when you create the new duchy that the lord of that region will become the new duke.

Quote from: In-game text
"By promoting the region lord to duke, you effectively remove his region from the duchy it currently belongs to and turn it into a new duchy. Other region lords can then join this new duchy."

You did not need to step down as Duke of the Gaston duchy. You should have just renamed it to the Duchy of Darfix. That makes you the Duke of Darfix and Marquess of Darfix. Then if you wanted a second duchy in the realm, you could appoint a new lord to Gaston, and bestow a duchy upon him.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 07, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
And also that's not an option. It wont let me declare a duchy based in a region that's already the main region of a duchy.
Explain, please. What do you mean by "main region of a duchy"? There is no such concept in the new estate system.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 07, 2012, 08:11:42 PM »
All I can tell you is it wasn't an option to make Gaston or Under Darfix a new duchy. Only Under Darfix was an option.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 07, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »
Hmm, that was probably because I hadn't installed a new lord in Gaston. Which brings us back to the problem that it would be much easier if you could declare a new duchy then appoint the duke later.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 07, 2012, 08:15:07 PM »
There is no need for the ability to make a new "empty" duchy. Appoint the lord you want to be the duke, then promote him to duke. Done.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 07, 2012, 08:15:44 PM »
Ok, now it wont let me appoint my desired lord as duke of Gaston even though he's stepped down. What the heck?

Also I am not aware of a "promote to duke" option.

Can I get an admin to just manually make it so Darfix and Under Darfix are a duchy that I'm duke of, and that Gaston is another duchy that Aram is duke of?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:20:24 PM by pcw27 »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 07, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »
Ok, now it wont let me appoint my desired lord as duke of Gaston even though he's stepped down. What the heck?

• Appoint the character you want to be the new Duke of Gaston as the lord of Gaston. This has to be done by the duke of whatever duchy the region of Gaston belongs to.
  • Promote the lord of Gaston to Duke.

That's all there is to it.

Can I get an admin to just manually make it so Darfix and Under Darfix are a duchy that I'm duke of, and that Gaston is another duchy that Aram is duke of?
Probably not.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 07, 2012, 08:23:09 PM »
I can't promote the noble I want to Duke of Gaston. For some weird reason my only option is a current knight of Gaston. Is that some other new rule I wasn't aware of? Did I have to start by having that lord step down, then become a knight of Gaston, then I would be able to step down from Gaston make him lord of it?

See what I'm getting at with this being more difficult then it should be?

Why not just an option "Announce your region as a new duchy" which automatically makes you duke of THAT duchy regardless of whether you were a duke of another duchy or not?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:28:37 PM by pcw27 »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 07, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »
He probably still has an estate in his old region. Have him abandon the estate. You can't appoint someone as a lord if they have an estate in a different region. The game specifically tells you this on the page where you appoint a new lord., in bold text, no less.
Quote from: in-game text
Only knights of the region or nobles without land can be assigned to a region, because everyone else already has an active oath of fealty. Please note that this means that any noble of [your realm] with an estate not in the region you wish to appoint them to must leave their estate in order to be appointed as Lord.

Please read all the instructions on the page before you complain about how it doesn't work. We wrote the instructions for a reason. Please use them...

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 07, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
Hmm, that was probably because I hadn't installed a new lord in Gaston. Which brings us back to the problem that it would be much easier if you could declare a new duchy then appoint the duke later.

Yes, that was the reason. The thing is that you have the option to promote the Lord of a Townsland or City to Duke, creating a new Duchy that initially includes only his region. Not creating Duchies and then being free to place whoever you want there as Duke.

You can always make a Feature Request, but I fail to see how that would make it "easier". It would empower the Rulers over the Dukes and Lords, but it would not make anything easier, unless you are speaking only about the Rulers.

He needs to either not have any estate or have one in Gaston. Is that the case?

Also I am not aware of a "promote to duke" option.

That is the option that creates new Duchies.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).