Author Topic: Dwilight Travel Times  (Read 16950 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Travel Times
« Reply #30: March 13, 2012, 12:47:13 AM »
I think that the travel times are fine.  Bad roads do not allow quick movement.
It would be nice to be able to invest in roads between specific regions.  That way you can choose to improve the roads you want improved without improving the ones you don't.  If you know that you will be invading a neighbouring region, you could start improving the roads to that region, atleast halfway.  This should NOT be a quick change, just quicker than it is now. 

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 13, 2012, 12:47:21 PM »
Really? I always considered D'Hara to be the least isolated realm in the continent. It is probably the one who borders more realms, and it is in the middle of everything, connecting everyone.

In the middle of everyone, yet has been neutral in all wars raging around them since years and years and years. Last time people tried to invade us, that didn't turn out too well for them.

We are in the "middle", but damn far from everyone still. When I held a tournament and put the maximum delay, hardly anyone on the continent could make it on time.

In the same sense, many people have links to D'Hara within but a few regions to cross, but the travel times are pretty darn long. And they all lead to pretty high walls with easy recruiting capacity. Before the addition of delayed arrival, it was pretty much impossible for invading armies to arrive in a coherent manner. As such, we never had to bother recruiting much troops, because we could take one much larger forces than ourselves just thanks to that. And because of how hard we are to crack, people have not acted on aggressive words since Madina.

We are next to everyone, and never had to submit to any bloc. We've made our own bloc with other pretty isolated realms (but not from us), but never had to participate in any of the big events on the continent, despite our ability to. That's thanks to the potential for isolationism, to live on doing our own thing regardless of the chaos that rages around us.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 13, 2012, 03:58:37 PM »
I liked D'Hara, when I joined it, because of its isolation potential. Take the recent delay arrival option and add to that reduced travel times, and we are suddenly a whole lot more accessible to bored warmongers that lack the originality or will to do anything more exciting than just try to find the next unbeliever to bash. That some want to do that is fine, I wouldn't be on Dwi at all if I thought otherwise, but that some of these people feel entitled to have this made easier for them, that gets to me. It is, in my eyes, nothing short of a request for unfair preferential treatment, masked by a generic request of generalizable changes.

If anything, I think the travel times should be increased, especially when outside of your own realm, with perhaps the ability to directly invest in better roads.
So, you joined D'Hara because you liked the isolation. And now you want travel times lengthened, especially for people not in their own realm. That sure sounds to me like "a request for unfair preferential treatment, masked by a generic request of generalizable changes."
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 13, 2012, 07:59:22 PM »
In the middle of everyone, yet has been neutral in all wars raging around them since years and years and years. Last time people tried to invade us, that didn't turn out too well for them.

Well, considering you don't have the best relations with the Madineans, Lurians or Astroists... I would say you only are cozy with the fellow 'moot. Am I wrong?

We are in the "middle", but damn far from everyone still. When I held a tournament and put the maximum delay, hardly anyone on the continent could make it on time.

That is Dwilight for you, the rest have it much worse.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 13, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »
Well you are wrong about D'hara being on bad terms with the Astroists. Several temples are in D'hara, with even a duke or two following the religion. D'hara is open to religion its just that the preaching must be ok with the lord and duke, is the law of D'hara last I was told.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 13, 2012, 10:53:37 PM »
So, you joined D'Hara because you liked the isolation. And now you want travel times lengthened, especially for people not in their own realm. That sure sounds to me like "a request for unfair preferential treatment, masked by a generic request of generalizable changes."

Exactly. If some are allowed to do such scandalous requests, why wouldn't I? You can't go claiming that nobody wants longer travel times, now.

In case you didn't grasp it, I was not serious. I wouldn't mind longer travel, but I do not deem it acceptable to change travel times at this time.

Well, considering you don't have the best relations with the Madineans, Lurians or Astroists... I would say you only are cozy with the fellow 'moot. Am I wrong?

Yes. On all counts. Madinians tried to kiss our ass, we refused. They are done for anyways, why bother? The Lurias are not united, few are hostile. As for SA, the only issue is Kabrinskia. I dare suspect we have more friends in SA than they do too.

That is Dwilight for you, the rest have it much worse.

Not really. Morek has a ton of realms at marching distance. D'Hara does not.

Mind you, I *like* that about D'Hara. But it ain't for nothing that the northern tournaments attract a whole lot more people than ours did.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: March 13, 2012, 10:55:50 PM »
Well you are wrong about D'hara being on bad terms with the Astroists. Several temples are in D'hara, with even a duke or two following the religion. D'hara is open to religion its just that the preaching must be ok with the lord and duke, is the law of D'hara last I was told.

The Astroists are many and there are some significant members with long standing issues with D'Hara.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 13, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »
Though there might be those who dislike D'hara in SA as a whole they are not anti-D'hara I would say though feel free to correct me.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 13, 2012, 11:03:45 PM »
Though there might be those who dislike D'hara in SA as a whole they are not anti-D'hara I would say though feel free to correct me.

Who knows, their opinion on other realms likely changes with the phases of the stars anyway.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 13, 2012, 11:23:15 PM »
A short lesson for you is the Maddening star has to do with emotion, Auspicious with logic and the mind, and the Austere is with the time between action. The phases tell us how much each particular star effects us, thus it is possible for your opinion to change due to how they effect you with emotion being strong at one point and your mind a different so perhaps you have a grudge but they should be forgiven so when the Maddening star is superior your mind sees you should and you do thus effecting your opinion but it does not directly say your liking of realms must change according to the phases of the stars just that it is possible. And yes I am pretty sure you are joking but thought I would say this anyway. :)
― G.K. Chesterton

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: March 14, 2012, 12:42:59 AM »

I would say this is mostly accurate. As with anything in SA there are a few who feel passionately about D'Hara on both sides of the argument, while the majority are pragmatic over the issue.

Considering the amount of SA temples and followers in D'Hara, its highly unlikely that anything short of a diplomatic disaster would cause any sort of "crusade" to be declared.

However contrary to popular belief the SA realms actually manage most foreign policy outside of the Church, so the real question is not the relationship between D'Hara and SA, but D'Hara and the individual theocracies. From what I know there doesn't appear to be any significant problems here aside from Kabrinskia.

As for travel times (so I feel like I'm posting slightly on topic): For the moment I haven't seen anything that appears to beg the need for them to change. Long scale wars are possible with allied help (see Caerwynian War) and the delay arrival option makes sea travel far more viable.

Drastically reducing travel times will give Dwilight a very different feel. Perhaps in the future, if Dwilight becomes so entrenched into regional power-blocks that it grows stale, we could have such a debate and come to a mutual decision (and I do mean that- I am really not the fan of this mentality that we must rp our characters differently for purely OOC reasons, especially on an SMA continent), but Dwilight has far too much to offer with it's current feel to suddenly decide to change it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:01:46 AM by Meneldur »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 14, 2012, 01:44:09 AM »
Not really. Morek has a ton of realms at marching distance. D'Hara does not.
Well, off the top of my head, you have: Terran, Barca, Kabrinskia, Corsanctum, Madina, and Luria Nova, all within a three day march of your borders, I think. Solaria and PeL are both separated from D'Hara by a single rogue region. Yes, some of those are rather lengthy sea passages. But they all border D'Hara. The days when you could claim D'Hara is an isolated realm are long gone.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: March 14, 2012, 01:52:53 AM »
Well, off the top of my head, you have: Terran, Barca, Kabrinskia, Corsanctum, Madina, and Luria Nova, all within a three day march of your borders, I think. Solaria and PeL are both separated from D'Hara by a single rogue region. Yes, some of those are rather lengthy sea passages. But they all border D'Hara. The days when you could claim D'Hara is an isolated realm are long gone.

Bah, we have a few more years of him claiming it against all evidence to the contrary yet. Lets face it, if they were TRULY isolated how the hell would they import the food they need.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: March 14, 2012, 03:14:19 AM »
Well I dont think he counts Barca and Terran considering we are in a federation and I beleive he means isolated from war. Solari and PeL are several days away because that single rogue region has the worlds worst roads, Morek and Corsanctum have even longer travel times because the travel through those rogue regions are even worse, and Kabrinskia is probably 4 days march if they don't wait for any stragglers plus assuming they declared war on us before the march Terran troops would be attacking them before they arrived considering they are federated and if you want to say they take a ship it will be 3 days but with the delay arrival that would be nessacary it could end up being 4 days which gives them plenty of time to get their troops at the capital which obviously has militia just like any other realm would and their entire army, plus walls so D'hara is looking pretty isolated and safe from war if you ask me.
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: March 14, 2012, 03:39:25 AM »
D'Hara has a direct sea route to both Corsanctum and Kabrinskia.

And yes, you are federated to Terran and Barca. But so what? You are still neighbors. Morek is allied to their neighbors.

My point is that D'Hara is in no way isolated. You have a LOT of neighbors. In fact, is there any other realm that has as many neighbors as D'Hara?