Author Topic: Dwilight Travel Times  (Read 17079 times)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Dwilight Travel Times
« Topic Start: March 07, 2012, 11:59:01 PM »
This may have been discussed and shot down in the past.  I did a brief scan of the topics and didn't see anything.

Can the travel times on Dwilight be reduced slightly?  I know Dwilight is supposed to be enormous, but traveling can be prohibitive at times.  I have it easy since I play a priestess.  Troop leaders, the bulk of the nobles, suffer through long travel times just moving around in our realm.  That doesn't even begin to contemplate moving an army for war...
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Travel Times
« Reply #1: March 08, 2012, 12:05:37 AM »
I like the travel times on Dwilight.

It's supposed to be that way.

You're like asking that the Colonies' turns be sped up because it takes to long to move around. That's the point.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 08, 2012, 12:06:04 AM »
This may have been discussed and shot down in the past.  I did a brief scan of the topics and didn't see anything.

Can the travel times on Dwilight be reduced slightly?  I know Dwilight is supposed to be enormous, but traveling can be prohibitive at times.  I have it easy since I play a priestess.  Troop leaders, the bulk of the nobles, suffer through long travel times just moving around in our realm.  That doesn't even begin to contemplate moving an army for war...

It was shot down recently. It's intentional that the northern bloc can't go reach every realm on the island as if it was next door.

Travel times were bad when Dwi first opened. They've been fixed and have been fine since. Nobody complained about them until a few weeks or so ago when someone said it was now hard to find nearby wars and that travel should be reduced to compensate. You appear to request this change for the same reason.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #3: March 08, 2012, 12:10:57 AM »
It was shot down recently. It's intentional that the northern bloc can't go reach every realm on the island as if it was next door.

Travel times were bad when Dwi first opened. They've been fixed and have been fine since. Nobody complained about them until a few weeks or so ago when someone said it was now hard to find nearby wars and that travel should be reduced to compensate. You appear to request this change for the same reason.

Do you mind linking that previous thread so we can see if it's been fully discussed?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 08, 2012, 01:03:44 AM »
I also think they are a bit long, but I think part of that is that my character is traveling in regions that have recently been colonized, so the roads are in  terrible condition.  Once that gets better I would hope that they become reasonable. 
From the Desert of Silhouettes to Sallowwild is:
extremely bad road, 172 miles, ca. 39 hours
I am not sure what that will become once the road is in good condition,  15 hours?

egamma

« Reply #6: March 08, 2012, 01:53:23 AM »
I also think they are a bit long, but I think part of that is that my character is traveling in regions that have recently been colonized, so the roads are in  terrible condition.  Once that gets better I would hope that they become reasonable. 
From the Desert of Silhouettes to Sallowwild is:
extremely bad road, 172 miles, ca. 39 hours
I am not sure what that will become once the road is in good condition,  15 hours?

Ah. Couple of things there. First, both the Desert and Sallowwild are far below production and population. Second, there have been a series of battles in the Desert. Third, if you have wounded men, then that slows you down as well.

From Fatexna : Turbul (road), extremely bad road, 110 miles, 15 hours: that's 7.3mph, not bad for a marching group of soldiers, especially in rogue regions.
From Raviel to Port Raviel, the trip planner says 3 hours for 55 miles, which is 18mph.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 08, 2012, 02:11:07 AM »
That's why I am not complaining about the time right now.  I recognize that certain things are causing the longer trip, I am merely hoping that once the regions become stable and populated the times are reduced by a fair bit.  With 15 mph it would take 12 hours to make the trip, that does not seem outside of reasonable. 
I do not expect a quick improvement.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 08, 2012, 02:40:54 AM »
No one ever really *stopped* complaining about the travel times. We just didn't have any forum threads about it. People have been talking about it since day 1.

However, I don't think they need changed. It is supposed to be hard to travel long distances, especially on crappy roads.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #9: March 08, 2012, 02:46:10 AM »
Okay, this issue has been fairly well discussed both in the past and now.  It would be wise to use our time and efforts elsewhere.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 08, 2012, 03:20:17 AM »
No one ever really *stopped* complaining about the travel times. We just didn't have any forum threads about it. People have been talking about it since day 1.

However, I don't think they need changed. It is supposed to be hard to travel long distances, especially on crappy roads.

People complained a lot when Dwilight started it. I think it used to take 34 hours from Springdale to it's doughnut. It was brought to the d-list, where it was acknowledged and changed.

Travel times are long, sure, but I don't remember seeing anyone saying there were *too* long since then and until that last thread, aka until people stopped throwing themselves at the SA block.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 08, 2012, 04:39:45 AM »
Yes, they do. But like I said, not on the forums.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 11, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »
Yes, they do. But like I said, not on the forums.

Nor on the D-list when we had it.

D'Hara's traders roam the whole continent, and I don't remember them complaining about travel times being too long.

Which makes me inclined to believe that those who do complain are those warmongers that would like everything to be handed over to them on a silver plate so that they could impose themselves on every other realm regardless of how far it is instead of looking for wars next door.

egamma

« Reply #13: March 11, 2012, 07:32:55 PM »
Nor on the D-list when we had it.

D'Hara's traders roam the whole continent, and I don't remember them complaining about travel times being too long.

Which makes me inclined to believe that those who do complain are those warmongers that would like everything to be handed over to them on a silver plate so that they could impose themselves on every other realm regardless of how far it is instead of looking for wars next door.

I'm just glad I'm not making the journey from Fissoa to Paisly...in winter...with 12 caravans. Now that was an insane travel time! I think I spent the entire winter sailing one way.

I would like to see something done about the water route times. Either an option to pay more for faster transport, or more routes to other ports, or something.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 11, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »
I'm just glad I'm not making the journey from Fissoa to Paisly...in winter...with 12 caravans. Now that was an insane travel time! I think I spent the entire winter sailing one way.

I would like to see something done about the water route times. Either an option to pay more for faster transport, or more routes to other ports, or something.

If we could invest in navies, I know we would. After all, we aren't like these Madinian sea-sick pirates. We actually do sail on a regular basis. ;)