Author Topic: Idea for an in game reason why there are no navies in Battlemaster  (Read 11701 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
The seas of battle-master are essentially controlled by pirates. Long ago there was an empire with a powerful naval force which controlled all the seas of the world. A rebellion within that empire drove the rightful king from his throne. The king fled to his loyal navy and took to the seas. With mastery of all the trade routes of the world the navy found it could sustain itself indefinitely. The pirate fleet continued to rule the seas while the empire, bereft of its greatest resource slowly crumbled into nothing.

Since then the fleet of the Pirate King has factionalized into competing and often waring trade companies, but they share a common pact, they'll never be holden to the rule of the land lovers. If any realm were to try and build their own fleet, the pirate nations would instantly unite against it. Therefore no realm bothers to try, after all the pirate fleets are more then happy to transport their goods and ferry their troops from place to place. Furthermore if any pirate fleet dared pillage a land realm, the other fleets would unite and destroy them. It is in this way that the pirate fleet and the realms of the land maintain their peace.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:15:36 AM by pcw27 »

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I guess no one liked this idea...

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Why do we need this?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
We don't need it, it's just a fun idea.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
This is a good possibility, but there are other possible explanations and no need to enforce a single one.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
What other possibilites do you suggest?

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
We don't need it, it's just a fun idea.

Then roll with it as your character's explanation for why navies are the way they are.

My characters, personally, have never come into a situation where they needed to explain something like this. *shrug*
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
What other possibilites do you suggest?

The seas are too unpredictable, battling in ships is both dangerous and inglorious. We are nobles, not pirates. And we want land, not seas, there are no peasants to tax in the seas. Just of the top of my mind.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
The seas are too unpredictable, battling in ships is both dangerous and inglorious. We are nobles, not pirates. And we want land, not seas, there are no peasants to tax in the seas. Just of the top of my mind.

Fighting on horseback in a sailing boat seems troublesome, as well.

Besides, it's well-known that all boats belong to D'Hara anyways, and that D'Hara would not risk putting one of her boats in a fight against another one of her boats. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Don't know if there are many boats leaving Paisley at the moment, with those clouds there.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Don't know if there are many boats leaving Paisley at the moment, with those clouds there.

They may have set sail long ago, but we still built them, and the sailors are still D'Harans. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Fighting on horseback in a sailing boat seems troublesome, as well.

Besides, it's well-known that all boats belong to D'Hara anyways, and that D'Hara would not risk putting one of her boats in a fight against another one of her boats. :P

Does D'hara roleplay that as a fact?

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
We are nobles, not pirates. And we want land, not seas, there are no peasants to tax in the seas. Just of the top of my mind.

That sounds like the sort of things nobles would say as an excuse not to try and take back the seas  ;D

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

D'Hara is generally RPed as being something like Venice or Sicily. Some italian costal city-state.

Now, I exagerated in my original comment, but there have been RPs that would go along the lines of D'Harans often being employed as sailors by foreign powers and a good chunk of the Mediterranean's commercial fleets (that haul goods and people from port to port, regardless of origin) as being of D'Haran origin, given how D'Hara has a history of neutrality, is in the middle of the sea, and is strongly trade-oriented.

I know I've joked on at least a few occasion that Madinians were sea-sick land pirates, and that D'Harans were the true sailors of the world, since Madina is mostly one big isle and that the vast majority of them never crossed more water than the extremely narrow trait between Candiels and Tower Fatmilak, on top of their usually poor performances when they fight after sea travel (in Paisly or Candiels). I think I've seen others joke about this at least once too.

Claiming that *all* sailors and boats are D'Haran would be a bit over the top, imo, but D'Harans have RPed themselves as being the true masters of the seas. Not to mention that the faithful of Verdis Elementum (main religion) majoritarily dedicate themselves to the study of the element of Water.

After all, one must take the boat 3 times to cross the whole realm, and we feed ourselves via our traders who regularly take these awfully long sea routes to access the various markets.

egamma

I was pushing to have our General named "Grand Admiral" or somesuch a year ago. What use do we have for an army? We need a navy!