Author Topic: Reworking Prestige/Honour, etc.  (Read 33743 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Reworking Prestige/Honour, etc.
« Reply #15: March 10, 2012, 10:32:23 PM »
Rather than reinventing reputation tracking and distribution, it would do well to find a good algorithm or research paper and just implement that.  There have been suggestions before, but I can't find the particular one that Tom was considering.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 11, 2012, 01:35:09 AM »
Just as important as what the stats are is what they do. Right now H/P has the following effects:

-Unlock classes
-Unlock appointment possibilites
-Allow to command more troops
-Allow to command special forces and cavalry

Am I missing anything?

All the "positive" ideas mentioned so far could easily replace H/P in that manner. However, what about the negative attributes? What would a high infamy score give, other than RP value? Also, the higher the number of different stats, the more effects will have to be found since we will not expect everyone to rise in all stats as we do with H/P.

One idea out there: people with a high brutality score could be more effective in TOs and police actions, while people with high victory score would have a CS bonus in open battles.

After all it's a roleplaying game.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 11, 2012, 02:47:18 AM »
I think it's important that one of the stats have some sort of player feedback, similar to medals but on a per-character basis and IC. Knowing what people think about my characters could be interesting.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

egamma

« Reply #18: March 11, 2012, 04:03:03 AM »
Perhaps infamy would be required to unlock the infiltrator class? The current honor requirement of 50 doesn't make any sense from an IC perspective. It makes sense from a 'keep out the wannabe ninjas' perspective, but replacing the honor requirement with a brutality/infamy requirement would make more sense.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 11, 2012, 04:15:32 AM »
Infiltrators don't have to be brutal. There sre things they can do beside assassinate and murder.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 11, 2012, 04:25:23 AM »
Maybe not brutal but definentally infamous.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 11, 2012, 04:30:55 AM »
On the contrary, they have to be silent and look innocent.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 11, 2012, 04:45:21 AM »
True though an infamy requirement makes sense because before someone became an infiltrator they would have done some infamous deeds and would not have focused on hiding all them.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 11, 2012, 01:20:58 PM »
On the contrary, they have to be silent and look innocent.

An interesting twist would be if infamous infiltrators lost the invisibility of their class.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 11, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »
Is that the invisibility that doesn't currently exist?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 11, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »
No, their class invisibility. The fact that you don't know who is a infil and who isn't.

I don't want to bring back character invisibility.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 11, 2012, 02:08:20 PM »
Is that the invisibility that doesn't currently exist?

And hasn't for...what, 2-3 years now?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 11, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
No, their class invisibility. The fact that you don't know who is a infil and who isn't.

I don't want to bring back character invisibility.
That would in essence mean anyone with too much infamy would not be able to be an infiltrator.  I like it.
I still feel that nobles do not make good infils.  But I think I remember Tom saying they would be changed somehow.  That information might help this discussion.

egamma

« Reply #28: March 11, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
That would in essence mean anyone with too much infamy would not be able to be an infiltrator.  I like it.
I still feel that nobles do not make good infils.  But I think I remember Tom saying they would be changed somehow.  That information might help this discussion.

The thought was to make them more of a "spymaster" class.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 12, 2012, 06:13:39 AM »
Tom,

Was the idea that the new stats would be in a form of a pie chart so that you see the relative influences of each of your stat? Where, for example, increasing your valor would necessarily decrease the relative share of all the other stats? Or was that the idea, where you would also have a realm wide comparison without numerical values, that you could rank the nobility in accordance to their absolute values of ruthlessness instead of their relative values (pie chart)?

Or perhaps you are thinking of having some of the stats in a form of a pie chart and others in absolute values. Or you have not made your mind about it either way and we are supposed to discuss all these options as well? The reason I ask is that I do not want to get off the tangent here and would instead like to contribute something useful.

Also, what do you mean with "stats balancing each other out"? Does that mean that you can not have high stats in everything (the pie chart) or something else?