Author Topic: Remaking the Maps  (Read 29290 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Remaking the Maps
« Topic Start: March 11, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »
D'hara must be quite different then. I've played through pretty much all of SA and few times in Luria. That is quite a large player base. I don't remember hearing any custom made topography names in SA, and in Luria only one player was mentioning them. The only other discussions your character might have are various guilds and rulers chit chats. Both of those are the minority I'd say, so maybe not the greatest frame to make an objective conclusion.

The problem is that the major source of the player invented topography is the Wiki, a source which few people actually read. I just think that if the main source was the game itself that they would be more acknowledged and much more used.

People in the Marroccidens use them. Bowie, who speaks on many multi-realm channel, uses them often as well.

Indeed, I would be surprised if others use the as must as the (South-)West does.

I like that the game doesn't tell us how to name the rivers and subregions of the continents, because it allows us to define them ourselves. That such names are shown or not on in-game maps doesn't matter to me, the only thing that would is if the game (devs) decide what these names are. I'm sure sure if you understand the nuance I'm trying to make here, though... For example, if the banker could set realm-wide markers for the dynamic map, so that all nobles of that realm can then check on the "toponymy" box on and then see all of the river and regional names the banker set, then that's cool to me, because the banker (a player) would be the one to set it and not Devs, allowing for different people (realms) to name different features differently. For example, I could easily see some chokepoints being named as "The Pass of Glory" by some while being the "Pass of the Dead" by others, or some's "River of Fortune" being others' "River of Blood", etc. I don't mind such toponymy being displayed via in-game means, as long as there's no unified imposed toponymy. The essentials (continents, realms, regions) are already uniform (which is good), but I see no reason for the rest to have to be, given how trivial they are.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron