Author Topic: Rations  (Read 15296 times)

acrandal

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Re: Rations
« Reply #30: March 15, 2012, 05:56:42 PM »
I haven't thought that aspect through yet. Maybe. Maybe with a paraphernalia. I'm not really certain. I don't want to completely eliminate starvation for troops, just make it so you don't start to lose men the moment you cross the border.

I know this thread is wandering, but I wanted to suggest that the unit's ration limit could be raised by keeping carts around.  Caravans are on the way out (see: Dwilight/BT), but carts are still kicking about.  A unit has a suggested base (max) of 5 rations.  Each cart you're pulling about adds 5 more rations to the maximium (this 5 could be lower or higher for game balance).  When you buy them they start out empty, if you lose them any food goes with them.

Don't worry about cart "use" like wounded taking up space, etc.  Just give the ration max as (5 + 5 * carts) and run with it.

There's always been the requests for nobles to keep their units fed in famine regions kicking about.  A ration system is how armies operate anyway.

Regarding looting from battles: I suggest you just give every unit that survives the battle (winners and losers) +1 rations and be done with it.  Just assume soldiers are personally opportunistic and win or lose manage to rustle up some food one way or another.  That way you get a bonus for fighting and the devs don't have to work out another stats system for residual battlefields.

Regarding looting from regions: Looting granaries would reduce the regions' food stored 1 bushel per 1 ration looted.  Keep it simple and see how it goes for a while.