Author Topic: Leasing a house as an adventurer  (Read 7474 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Leasing a house as an adventurer
« Topic Start: March 13, 2012, 05:02:22 AM »
An idea I had a while back, I suggested it with a whole mess of other stuff so I want to just focus on one idea.

An adventurer pays a lump sum to a regional lord, in exchange he/she gets some sort of housing where he/she can rest and remove fatigue for free while in that region. The quality of the the rest will always be the highest possible for the region (private room in a city, primitive room in a rural ect).

The lord will of course have the right to evict this commoner if he or she ever feels like it, and will have the option not to sell housing at all.

If we wanted to get really into it the adventurer could set a rental price on this house making it an option for other adventurers to stay there.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Leasing a house as an adventurer
« Reply #1: March 13, 2012, 05:17:50 AM »
HotelMaster? ;D

Well, no offense, but it's likely to be rejected because it doesn't address any existing problem. Unless you want to improve the relationship between nobles and adventurers, and I am unsure that is something desirable...
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 13, 2012, 05:19:51 AM »
It sort of addresses the problem of there not being enough for Adventurers to do.

Also it could be made so it's a knights decision rather then the region lords (as if the house is in his estate). Giving knights more things to do is good for new player retention.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 13, 2012, 05:26:50 AM »
Giving them interesting things to do is good for player retention. This would largely appear to be a set and forget sort of thing that would provide a gold boost every now and then. How many houses would you allow advies to have. Would it simply become something where advies have houses in every region they hunt in? How many houses could knights put up for sale. What would be required to generate this houses?

How does this offer long term interaction beyond the, oh and the knight/Lord might turf them out any time they want.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 13, 2012, 06:00:36 AM »
To address most of those problems I'd suggest limiting it to one house per knight with a minimum rent of 10 gold. I wouldn't put a restriction on how many houses an adventurer could lease, but rather make it hard to get them and unlikely they'll get their hands on all of them.

Also when I came up with the idea I thought it might be restricted to a new third adventurer rank called "Yeomen".

The possibilities for adventurer to adventurer interactions are almost endless, especially if an adventurer can rent his house out to other adventurers.

There's also quite a bit of motivation for adventurer to noble interactions. For example an adventurer could potentially try and bribe a knight into evicting an adventurer so he can take over his house.

Plus this can create roleplay potential for region lords and their knights. Maybe the local lord doesn't like having all these freeloading adventurers in his region, so he forbids his knights to sell to them and orders all existing peasants to vacate at once.

Also it could be that there's a chance of hurting region moral if an adventurer is evicted, the idea being that the peasants liked him/her and the fact that they kept the beasts away.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 13, 2012, 06:42:33 AM »
minimum rent of 10 gold a week?
firefox

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 13, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »

Just killed a giant monster and sold a badass sword: private dwelling for 5 weeks, woo! :P

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 13, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »

No that would be pointless since you could pay to sleep in a private room every night for less then that. I meant 10 gold for an indefinite stay, maybe 20. Or it could be half whatever it would cost to rent that room for the same amount of time, which is about 1 gold a week.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 13, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
Unless you want to improve the relationship between nobles and adventurers, and I am unsure that is something desirable...

That seems desirable to me. Not in the sense "nobles and advies should play nice together", of course, but in the sense that they do play the same game. I see this as a personalized addition to the bounty pot mechanics.

To address most of those problems I'd suggest limiting it to one house per knight with a minimum rent of 10 gold. I wouldn't put a restriction on how many houses an adventurer could lease, but rather make it hard to get them and unlikely they'll get their hands on all of them.

I would do the inverse and limit it to one house per adventurer. What commoner has two houses? This would also reinforces the social status aspect ("You live in my house at my sufferance, you better do what I tell you.")
After all it's a roleplaying game.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 13, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »
No that would be pointless since you could pay to sleep in a private room every night for less then that. I meant 10 gold for an indefinite stay, maybe 20. Or it could be half whatever it would cost to rent that room for the same amount of time, which is about 1 gold a week.

a house should cost a lot more than a private room, no?
firefox

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 13, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »
a house should cost a lot more than a private room, no?

To keep things simple I think the actual space shouldn't be significantly bigger then the best sleeping option available in the region. So in a city you would own a room in a building, in a rural you'd own a small cottage.

I would do the inverse and limit it to one house per adventurer. What commoner has two houses? This would also reinforces the social status aspect ("You live in my house at my sufferance, you better do what I tell you.")

Yeomen would have two houses possibly more.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 13, 2012, 10:31:50 PM »
Well you want to balance it out by having it not to cheap but also actually have a use. I think its best to make it a lump sum you have to pay like maybe 30 gold so that it benefits the lord/knight to get new adventurers in but have a significant morale and maybe a minor loyalty drop if the adventurer got evicted before 2 weeks so lords cant be constantly kicking the adventurers out to make money and it makes since because the peasants wouldnt be very happy if they heard other peasants got ripped off by the lord. Also you could do a smaller 1 gold a week with the lump sum. Also I think it should cost the lord or knight maybe 50 gold to make it so it is an investment on both sides.
A different payment method is to actually lease it so its like a contract they have to pay 5 gold(g) for 1 month(m), 9 g for 2m,  12 for 3m, and 20 for 6 monthes with no evict option (it is a contract) . You might think the amounts are low but at the same time you arent planning on staying in the same region for a month usually so you can't assume they are getting this amazing deal over a private room.  With my lease option it would make it possible to have more than one house but expensive since you would be paying quite a bit. Also lords could make more than 1 house though the cost goes up and houses for a lord in the city are more expensive to buy but they also get higher lease payments.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 14, 2012, 01:41:28 AM »
This could be something that is added to estates.  Remove the common rooms that are available in regions and only have what is built by knights or lords in their estates. 
You could add the house rental to the scheme, but I really do not see the point.  Advies tend to travel around a fair bit, renting something for longer periods of time does not sound apealing to me.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 14, 2012, 02:52:38 AM »
Well my advy isn't in a huge realm so it just cycles through the regions which takes about a week because I just leave right away in regions a different advy has taken care of already as I try to stick with regions that have quite a bit monsters or undead so its easy to find them. Though it is a week I don't spend my time evenly some a day, others several.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:55:17 AM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 14, 2012, 02:59:24 AM »
This could be something that is added to estates.  Remove the common rooms that are available in regions and only have what is built by knights or lords in their estates. 
You could add the house rental to the scheme, but I really do not see the point.  Advies tend to travel around a fair bit, renting something for longer periods of time does not sound apealing to me.

I've been known to hunt in the same region for months on end. With some adventurers I usually just cycled between three regions or so.