Author Topic: More options for Guilds  (Read 3457 times)

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
More options for Guilds
« Topic Start: April 12, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »
Title:
More options for Guilds

Summary:
Add more options to existing guild: specialization in either the field of medicine (gives better healers), military field (gives better trained troops) or field of logistics (gives better trained scouts).

Details:
(names are made up and subject to change)
Basically, the region Lords would have an option to improve all guilds in his region by building more facilities within the guildhouse, which would then directly effect the quality of the troops and paraphernalia than can be recruited from that region.
He would need to *choose* the field of specialization and stick to it, no way to turn back once you've chosen, so to speak. Of course, the entire guild should then have a certain roleplay behind it; for example, Warders of the Temple - Military Guild, Order of the Palm - Medicine guild.

Example:
1. Option to build Medicine Hall. This in return produces healers in that region that are more effective in healing wounded troops.
2. Option to build Training Grounds or something. This would then make that regions troops better. I wouldn't meddle with their armor/weapons, but instead a bonus would be something like "every unit recruited from that region starts with better training".
3. Option to build Ranger Facilities. This would then allow the scouts from that region to be much more effective in pathfinding, which would mean you could travel faster - a lot. This could be used well especially on Dwilight.

Benefits:
Guilds have so much room to expand to, so I figure it would be good to provide that room for them. I don't think this sort of feature would harm the balance of the game as they are minor changes, but still changes that would add quite some material to the depth of the game.

Possible Exploits:
None I can think of.
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: More options for Guilds
« Reply #1: April 12, 2012, 11:24:31 AM »
Huh?

I have nothing against your ideas of Medicine Halls, Training Grounds and the likes. I like the idea of adding specializations to regions.

However, I truly don't understand why this would be tied to guilds. The overwhelming majority of the guilds in game have no links at all to troop leading in the first place. This feature would tie them in to the military/economic game in a way that is, imo, not needed at all.

I would much prefer to give these options to estates, for example, than to guildhouses.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 12, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »
Huh?

I have nothing against your ideas of Medicine Halls, Training Grounds and the likes. I like the idea of adding specializations to regions.

However, I truly don't understand why this would be tied to guilds. The overwhelming majority of the guilds in game have no links at all to troop leading in the first place. This feature would tie them in to the military/economic game in a way that is, imo, not needed at all.

I would much prefer to give these options to estates, for example, than to guildhouses.

I have to agree with VonGenf, while I haven't considered these ideas much myself, I see no reason for them to be tied to guilds if they are put in place. I would much rather have them applied to estates as that allows more in-game interaction than guilds and simply makes more sense to me.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 12, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »
That is a good point, but the reason I think guilds are better is cause they are very rare. If every region can get such bonuses via estate construction then those bonuses become a norm really and way too general. No real advantage there if every region can build those.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 12, 2012, 11:36:27 AM »
Rare? My Dwilight character is a member of 12 different guilds. Everyone can have a guildhouse if they want to.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 12, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »
Considering Dwilight has ca 230 regions that is not really a big number.

Yes, everyone can build guilds but to build guilds it takes just a bit of effort to join one, which in return gives more interaction. Guilds are like making worlds inside worlds and that gives more dimensions in my opinion. This would be a good way to popularize guilds and make them much more desirable, therefore potentially increasing the interaction between players of the same, and different realms.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 12, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »
so tell me... why would a history guild need healers/soldiers/scouts?
or ... why would a drinking social club like thing need any of those?

what would be the point of... making more guilds just for the sake of it? after all, this is basically a join and ignore type thing...
firefox

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 12, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
This sounds more like something that should be part of the "Improved Estates" idea.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: April 12, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
Rejected.

You misunderstand what the purpose and conceptual place of guilds is. This is mixing them up with the region economy buildings, and those two are completely seperate things.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 15, 2012, 05:47:40 AM »
I do like the underlying ideas of training grounds and medicine halls, but not as a guild extension.