Author Topic: Murderous Setting  (Read 13919 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Murderous Setting
« Reply #15: March 24, 2012, 09:36:39 PM »
That was changed years ago. The owner of the region is always the defender, except when you interrupt a takeover (where the TO forces are the defenders).

You've said this a few times...

That's...really not true.  Deciding who the defender is is still quite complicated, and if Realm A is sitting in Realm B's region, and Realm B walks in, Realm A will be the defenders.

If this were not the case, region owners would always get their walls.

And you've replied this a few times...

Now, how many years ago are you thinking about, Tom? Because I'm under the impression I witnessed otherwise 1-2 years ago. Not sure I remember seeing any cases where this would factor in lately, though, as I haven't seen city sieges or murderous settings myself in a while.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #16: March 25, 2012, 12:32:48 AM »

Which they do. Line 368ff in the combat script. The two exceptions are:
  • a TO is running - TO realm is the defenders
  • all the region owner troops are freshly arrived, in which case they attack (and don't get the walls)
In all other cases, the region owner will be defender and get the walls.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 25, 2012, 01:22:38 AM »

• all the region owner troops are freshly arrived, in which case they attack (and don't get the walls)

That's a big enough exception that I don't think it's wise for the dev team to be baldly stating that "the owner of the region is always the defender".

Furthermore, there's another important exception: when the region owner's forces have all been defeated.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 25, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »
That's a big enough exception that I don't think it's wise for the dev team to be baldly stating that "the owner of the region is always the defender".

Furthermore, there's another important exception: when the region owner's forces have all been defeated.

Indeed, that sounds to me like a simple reformulation of what we were saying...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 25, 2012, 07:36:37 AM »
That's...really not true.  Deciding who the defender is is still quite complicated, and if Realm A is sitting in Realm B's region, and Realm B walks in, Realm A will be the defenders.

Which is the scenario I belatedly thought of.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 25, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »
So there is no way to automatically make yourself the attacker?

Very frustrating. We almost had some excitement. Will have to try some other tactic now.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 25, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
So there is no way to automatically make yourself the attacker?

Well, not precisely, but you can come close. Just come into a region that has no troops from your realm, and you cannot be the defender. Thus, if anyone else is there from another realm and not rallying/scattered/retreated, they should be the defender, and you can be sure of attacking them on murderous.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 25, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
If all troops are freshly arrived, then there are steps you have to follow to see who will be the defender. The key is that the "invaders" you are trying to attack need to have been in the region the turn before, and /not/ defeated in a battle. They have to be "stationary".
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 25, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »
If all troops are freshly arrived, then there are steps you have to follow to see who will be the defender. The key is that the "invaders" you are trying to attack need to have been in the region the turn before, and /not/ defeated in a battle. They have to be "stationary".

So then there is no way to provoke a fight with an enemy who is moving through your realm, short of a declaration of war?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: March 26, 2012, 12:09:42 AM »
So then there is no way to provoke a fight with an enemy who is moving through your realm, short of a declaration of war?

That is kind of the point, isn't it? You want to fight? Declare war.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 26, 2012, 12:27:24 AM »
If the invaders stay moving then I don't think so. With both the region owner and invader both freshly arrived, the region owner will be the defender.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 26, 2012, 02:50:18 AM »
That is kind of the point, isn't it? You want to fight? Declare war.

Well, yes, but sometimes it's useful to make it look like an accident.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 26, 2012, 03:50:39 AM »
Well, yes, but sometimes it's useful to make it look like an accident.

Since Murderous is such a rarely used setting, do you really think anyone would treat it as a accident? Oh yes I accidentally told my men to assault everyone in sight, dashed sorry about that.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #28: March 26, 2012, 05:00:41 AM »
The most pointless setting. It would have been more interesting if it allowed you to ally with enemies lol.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 26, 2012, 06:10:30 AM »
Murderous is a great setting for jacking up family enemies when they are just kicking around in an allied territory minding their own business.

Sure, everyone will hate you, but it really puts the exclaimation mark on the "I refuse to let this grudge die."