Author Topic: Murderous Setting  (Read 14573 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Murderous Setting
« Topic Start: March 24, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »
Someone please correct me about this:

If you are set to murderous, you engage any units in the region of a realm towards which you are neutral, shouldn't you?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Murderous Setting
« Reply #1: March 24, 2012, 07:37:49 AM »

If you are set to murderous, you engage any units in the region of a realm towards which you are neutral, shouldn't you?

Or allied realms.

The only units you won't engage are those of your own realm.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 24, 2012, 08:06:55 AM »
Or allied realms.

Very odd....

I may have a bug to report then, but we'll see.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 24, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »
Very odd....

I'm fairly sure (95%) that this is the way it is. Granted, I've never seen anyone actually use murderous settings, but it is supposed to be rarely used.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 24, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
eh... is it 100% though?
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 24, 2012, 02:02:56 PM »

If you are set to murderous, and would not be the defenders, you engage.

You can only attack as murderous, not force another unit to attack you.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 24, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
Or allied realms.

I can confirm that this is false. On two separate occasions I have had my unit set to murderous, and it did not engage the forces from another realm that were in the region (Ie, moved into the region and then moved on, while my unit was set to murderous).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 24, 2012, 02:19:18 PM »
I can confirm that this is false. On two separate occasions I have had my unit set to murderous, and it did not engage the forces from another realm that were in the region (Ie, moved into the region and then moved on, while my unit was set to murderous).

Because they would not have been the defenders.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 24, 2012, 04:10:39 PM »
Because they would not have been the defenders.

So to clarify, if you're in your own realm, tough tookie? You would pretty much have to be in foreign territory?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 24, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »
So to clarify, if you're in your own realm, tough tookie? You would pretty much have to be in foreign territory?

No, it's not that simple.

In a situation where any other force in the region is declared as defenders, and you are on murderous settings, your force will attack them.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 24, 2012, 05:25:47 PM »
Very odd....

Only if you are attackers (don't control the field). Defenders, on murderous, will not provoke battles.

If you see a foreign realm coming to your region and set to aggressive or murderous, it won't initiate battle.

As Anaris said.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 24, 2012, 07:54:54 PM »
No, it's not that simple.

In a situation where any other force in the region is declared as defenders, and you are on murderous settings, your force will attack them.

Right, except I couldn't think of any scenarios where this would be true when you're in your own realm. I think I have now though, so never mind.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 24, 2012, 07:59:50 PM »
Right, except I couldn't think of any scenarios where this would be true when you're in your own realm. I think I have now though, so never mind.

If Bob of Reprehensiblistan is sitting in one of your regions, and you move there with murderous settings, you will engage.

Whoever arrives first controls the battlefield, in my experience. Unless you arrive in the region he was sitting in without starting a fight, then odds are you'll gain control of the battlefield.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: March 24, 2012, 08:39:36 PM »
Whoever arrives first controls the battlefield, in my experience.

That was changed years ago. The owner of the region is always the defender, except when you interrupt a takeover (where the TO forces are the defenders).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 24, 2012, 08:49:49 PM »
That was changed years ago. The owner of the region is always the defender, except when you interrupt a takeover (where the TO forces are the defenders).

That's...really not true.  Deciding who the defender is is still quite complicated, and if Realm A is sitting in Realm B's region, and Realm B walks in, Realm A will be the defenders.

If this were not the case, region owners would always get their walls.
Timothy Collett