Author Topic: BM needs a population boost  (Read 9131 times)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
BM needs a population boost
« Topic Start: March 30, 2012, 06:14:32 PM »
I'm talking about player boost. Obviously this game has a difficult time keeping new players and sustaining the old ones. Geez, I myself have come and gone about 2-3 times in the past 8 years. I've noticed a few realms are sure on players and honestly

Tom i've got a few ideas:
1. Give players a incentive to recruit other people to the game. Just as a thank you for helping out.
EX: Recruit someone they get Sir/Lady in front of their Character names for a week or however you see fit. Then if person stays and remains active for X amount of days/weeks recruiter gets 4 weeks of Sir/Lady in front of there name. 4 weeks should be the limit for each person recruited.

2. Advertise the game more on gaming sites and get us to vote for BM. That alone can help bring in a few extra people.

3. Give new donators more incentive to donate. (Note: I currently donate and don't mind cause I have a bit of spare change here and there). Only example off the top of my head is to give them some type of bonus. Only reason I suggest this is to help pay for promoting the game.

Note* This is just my suggestion. Be little if you wish, slash it if you must, but know it's the simple truth
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: BM needs a population boost
« Reply #1: March 30, 2012, 06:17:54 PM »
I'm talking about player boost. Obviously this game has a difficult time keeping new players and sustaining the old one

Tell us something we don't know.

The true long-term solution is to make the game better. We lost a lot of people because we made some changes that made the game less fun a few years ago. We are trying to reverse those changes, and put in place more changes to make BattleMaster easier to understand and less aggravating to play.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 30, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »
3. Give new donators more incentive to donate. (Note: I currently donate and don't mind cause I have a bit of spare change here and there). Only example off the top of my head is to give them some type of bonus. Only reason I suggest this is to help pay for promoting the game.

Pretty sure this is already done.... extra nobles and/or Sir/Lady prefix?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 30, 2012, 06:58:27 PM »
Tell us something we don't know.

The true long-term solution is to make the game better. We lost a lot of people because we made some changes that made the game less fun a few years ago. We are trying to reverse those changes, and put in place more changes to make BattleMaster easier to understand and less aggravating to play.

Out of curiosity, which features do you consider to have been mistakes in retrospect? The only one I think I've heard discussed in this light is the estate system, as in the one we've been using since I joined the game but is about to go away with the arrival of the 'new estate system' on Stable.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 30, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »
Out of curiosity, which features do you consider to have been mistakes in retrospect? The only one I think I've heard discussed in this light is the estate system, as in the one we've been using since I joined the game but is about to go away with the arrival of the 'new estate system' on Stable.

Yeah, the estate system is the big one.

There are a few other things that I can't recall off the top of my head that increased complexity for no real benefit in fun or realism.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 30, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »
TMP?

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 30, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »
The game isn't aggravating to play its rather simple in its nature. Adding addition features is great and we all look forward to them. However, you can do that as much as you want but if the same people are the only ones here to enjoy the additions what good are they really?

Here something you don't know. You didn't lose a lot of people because of the changes in the last few years. To be honest BM lost a huge amount of players (mainly Rpers). I respect the coding side of this game that's no joke it's takes man hours to get things done. However, setting BM up on some advertising site to get more views or looks at this game wouldn't go a long way but, hell it wouldn't hurt.

I mean I went on Google and this took 2 minutes to find and simple and assume it's free advertising. There are hundreds of site to do this on I suspect
http://www.gameogre.com/contact.htm

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 30, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »

Pretty sure this is already done.... extra nobles and/or Sir/Lady prefix?

I mean something else I know the current prefix is a bonus and so is the extra noble. I think maybe something additional off the top of my head no I can't come up with one. That would not be rolled into the game and affect play.... hmm

Family Crest:
Display family crest on your family display page that would be interesting to have just a medium size image of a crest. Granted it must be approved before put up.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 30, 2012, 07:12:14 PM »
TMP?

Hey, there's another good one ;D
Timothy Collett

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 30, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »
To be honest BM lost a huge amount of players (mainly Rpers).

Why do you say so?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 30, 2012, 08:15:45 PM »
Promoting the game in its current state doesn't seem very productive. The stable islands still suffer from the bad changes that had been made and the testing islands have a lot of things broken or going at half strength due to the code changes.

Maybe once a majority of the simplifications make it to stable and some of the bugs are fixed it might be worth looking into a bit more.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 30, 2012, 08:20:25 PM »
Promoting the game in its current state doesn't seem very productive. The stable islands still suffer from the bad changes that had been made and the testing islands have a lot of things broken or going at half strength due to the code changes.

Maybe once a majority of the simplifications make it to stable and some of the bugs are fixed it might be worth looking into a bit more.

This is a big part of why I haven't pushed for more exposure for BM over the past several months. I really want to see it in a form that newbies can come in and more easily grasp (and have fun with!) before we try to *get* hundreds more newbies.
Timothy Collett

egamma

« Reply #12: March 30, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
I think a lot of it is aging players--not old players, just growing up.
I've had 2 children since I started playing, for example. People who were hyperactive teen players are now 27-30, and simply don't have time to play. And the look and setting of the game isn't very appealing.

That said, I love the game--but I find it hard to wow other people with it.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 30, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
I know that 'growing up' has had a big impact on my activity over the years. I joined the game when I was relatively fresh out of college and jobless. Now I have a job in which I've been promoted. The amount of free time I once had in the office to tinker with BM has plummeted. Add a family to that and I don't know how much longer I could keep playing.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 30, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »
That's why Brance has been so quiet lately. Second kid just born, first kid still young, work, keeping things going around the house... makes it hard not to just resign from some positions and let others take over. :(
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.