Author Topic: Questions about the Som System  (Read 8568 times)

egamma

Re: Questions about the Som System
« Reply #15: April 03, 2012, 05:25:35 AM »
No one can posit the existence of a second, hidden moon.

That's no moon...

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 03, 2012, 05:49:49 AM »
For example, if you set the celestial objects in canon, then the Bloodstars could never have been formed. No one can posit the existence of a second, hidden moon.

A good point, you've changed my mind.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 03, 2012, 06:28:29 AM »
Actually, I specifically said the names should be up to the players but the numbers and colors should be firmly established to prevent nonsensical conflict of things.  Otherwise?  We are in a binary star system with three moons, blue red and green.
<.<

There are some basic rules about RPing, they can be found on the wiki. I believe on of them says RP can not contradict previous RP. So the universe is established somewhat already.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #18: April 03, 2012, 09:39:30 AM »
If someone wants to call the sun "Som" or "Blabla" or "shiney-thing-in-the-sky-that-hurts-my-eyes", he can do so.

But none of that is, has been or ever will be official.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #19: April 03, 2012, 11:06:16 AM »
There are some basic rules about RPing, they can be found on the wiki. I believe on of them says RP can not contradict previous RP. So the universe is established somewhat already.
And by right, I can easily say your character is mistaken in their perception.  Or perhaps every time you RPed, two of the three moons were "new moons".  Believe those very same rules you mention endorse the "Yes, but..." approach.

If someone wants to call the sun "Som" or "Blabla" or "shiney-thing-in-the-sky-that-hurts-my-eyes", he can do so.

But none of that is, has been or ever will be official.
Tom, not looking for official names (as I said, I prefer the idea of those being shaped by various in game religions/cultures/realms).  What sort of things are near-world?  How many moons, if any?  One sun, two, what colors?

I am all for players fleshing out the world and its history, but there are certain things that shouldn't be really left up to the players, like the above, because they would be wildly different and it doesn't make sense.  Now, don't get me wrong, it's easy to say there USED to be more, but I'm wondering about the here and now in the game world.

What exactly it *was*, was very subjective. Some cultures/religions forcibly suppressed that knowledge. Assuming universal agreement about any type or nature of object seems pretty ludicrous. They routinely determined this not by observation but by logic. "It is this way because it makes a circle, and circles are perfect.", a rainbow has seven colors because someone thought 7 was a mystic number of supernatural significance, etc. So, yeah, people may agree that there is a big white object in the sky, but what is it? a moon? What's a moon? And why would we call it "the moon?" We should name it after our god's mistress.

Another reason to *not* set this stuff in stone is the way it limits creativity and RP. For example, if you set the celestial objects in canon, then the Bloodstars could never have been formed. No one can posit the existence of a second, hidden moon.
All Celestial objects?  No.  Certain things that would show daily because of their near orbit?  Yeah. 

Comets?  No.
Moons?  Yes.
Asteroids?  No.
Stars?  No.
The Sun(s)?  Yes.

Not named, just established in final numbers.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 03, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »
Until telescopes are invented, what is up in the sky is anyone's guess. This is the early middle ages we're RPing here. They still thought the earth was the center of the universe, so their knowledge was shaky at best. I fail to see the need to change things from the way they've been for the past decade. Let people decide for themselves. If someone claims IC there are 3 suns and you only know of one, point at him and laugh for being such a crazy weirdo.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 04, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »
Until telescopes are invented, what is up in the sky is anyone's guess. This is the early middle ages we're RPing here. They still thought the earth was the center of the universe, so their knowledge was shaky at best. I fail to see the need to change things from the way they've been for the past decade. Let people decide for themselves. If someone claims IC there are 3 suns and you only know of one, point at him and laugh for being such a crazy weirdo.

I beg to differ. Many non-european civilizations knew a hella lot more about astrology than Europeans did, even when the latter had telescopes and the former did not.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 04, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »
I beg to differ. Many non-european civilizations knew a hella lot more about astrology than Europeans did, even when the latter had telescopes and the former did not.

Where did you see him denying that? ???
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 04, 2012, 07:31:29 PM »

Aye, but BM is predominantly a western culture, post-Dark Age. At least on Dwilight. There's a reason your Meso-American realm idea got shot down.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 05, 2012, 02:56:25 AM »
Where did you see him denying that? ???

He implied that knowledge of astrology depended on technology (the telescope). It doesn't. I'd even be willing to risk saying that the celts probably knew a lot more about astrology than late medieval christians.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 05, 2012, 05:17:26 AM »
He implied that knowledge of astrology depended on technology (the telescope). It doesn't. I'd even be willing to risk saying that the celts probably knew a lot more about astrology than late medieval christians.

Well, astrology was one of the things condemned by the bible. But if your talking about astronomy...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 05, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
Well, astrology was one of the things condemned by the bible. But if your talking about astronomy...

I meant astronomy.

Not the art of knowing if you'd find your love today if you were born betwen march and april or whatever. XD